Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election Thread - Mod Note - please read post #1 before posting

Options
  • 23-11-2010 4:19pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly a General Election is now expected to be called for the New Year, although an earlier one cannot be ruled out.

While we are happy for local election issues to be discussed here, there are a number of conditions (in addition to all our normal rules):

1. Stick to this thread – if there is something significant enough to warrant separate discussion, PM the Mods – we can separate out relevant posts if appropriate.
    2. Local issues only – national issues can be discussed in the Politics forum.
    3. Do not use this as an opportunity to resurrect topics where previous threads have been closed.
    4. No electioneering – this is not a forum for simply promoting individual candidates or parties, or having a go at those you do not like.

Anyone who contravenes these rules may be asked to refrain from posting in this thread again and also subject to infractions/forum bans.

Thanks

Beasty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

This could be good:)

Each town and village will have its issues.

I suppose mine for Rush would be a bit more policing. I think the local Gardái are good but need more back up.

I would like to see Fingal put more into helping Tidy towns and forget about this Bio diversity stuff that had some nice esttes looking like jungles. If we had our villages and towns looking a little better it might give us all a lift at this time.

Well some one had to get ball rolling

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

LeoB wrote: »

I suppose mine for Rush would be a bit more policing. I think the local Gardái are good but need more back up.
    I guess it's going to be more a case of trying to protect what we have in the current climate - I can't see any area of public spending (other than possibly Fas/training, given IMF comments) where additional resources will be made available, which means we will, as a minimum, have to lose services to fund any increase in a particular area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

This could be good:)

Each town and village will have its issues.

I would like to see Fingal put more into helping Tidy towns and forget about this Bio diversity stuff that had some nice esttes looking like jungles. If we had our villages and towns looking a little better it might give us all a lift at this time.

Well some one had to get ball rolling

First of all some of your issues are for councillors to consider not a TD or your MEP as the Bio-diversity project comes from Europe. When you change agriculture practice and allow housing estates to be built in wildlife barrier areas you have to improve the use of the green spaces left for bio-diversity or you end up reducing diversity of wildlife in the area, resulting with the true urban survivors of rats and foxes dominating, as they have no competitors or predators left except man.

As said before the Tidys Town has moved on from the days of having hanging baskets on all the shops, grass cut like an english bowling green, no litter on the ground in sight, its now includes the built environment and a green emphasis on wildlife and energy efficiency iniatives within the local area. So getting the council to cut the grass using fossil fuels and applying pesticides to the grass doesn't look good. You should read up about some of the pesticides applied to grass or landscape plants, some very nasty stuff including a chemical that was more commonily know as Agent Orange, which was applied to the Vietnam Jungles by the US to defoliant plants.

Well I will be steering clear of local politics, leave that for the council elections, the national interest in the 2nd Republic comes before local politics.

The cute hoor local politics of the Lowrys and Healy Raes got us partly into the mess we are in, FF ministers trying to decentralise whole government departments to their local constituencies, TDs obsession to have a hospital in each county, the list goes on and on. That kind of non joined up thinking helped waste money in the good times and give jobs to the good old boys in the constituencies. So expecting more of the same is heading down the same road again which we can't afford with 4 years of austerity budgets.

Even the present By-election candidates in Donegal could only talk about what they could get or hold for Donegal, not what they could do for their country in its state of need. Greed got us into this mess and greed and hoarding won't get us out. So I will be voting for a candidate in Dublin North based on the national policies of the party they represent to pull this nation out of the quagmire it is in, rather than what they can do locally or who they are related too or if they favour my political leanings.

So thats my first and last post in this thread. Enjoy the election all, you never know you might get alot more practice in the coming year if people put local before the national interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Red C Poll prediction - November 2010:

Dublin N
    FF 13%
    FG 22% (1)
    LP 31% (2)
    GP 11.5% (1)
    SP 10.6%
    SF 6%

FF to lose 2 seats here, each to LP, who have an ample supply of councillors in Fingal. Sargant, on these figures, manages to hold on, staying ahead of FF1 on FF2 leakage, and then depending on FF transfers to stay ahead of SP’s Clare Daly. Very very close though, so I’d not be putting the house on anyone on the basis of this…. The metro North issue in particular could see FF being more resilient to the Gilmore Gale in Swords

http://irishpollingreport.wordpress.com/2010/11/22/redc-nov-2010-projections/

Personally I think Reilly (FG), Ryan (Lab) and Daly (SP) will get the first 3 seats. Not sure about the final seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Unlike the rooster, I Trever Sargeant keeping his seat with a relative comfort. James Reilly to top the poll, Sargeant in second. Ryan and Kennedy to take the last 2. I know FF will take a beating, but Kennedy is hugely popular, and comfortably topped the poll in 07. I don't think he will have lost enough not to scrape through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Have to agree with Jim, I think James Reilly will do very well.Can't wait til they start banging on my front door:mad:...I've a lot to say to them!!!!
    For me? Transport, transport, transport. But then I've been shouting about that for years and nothing has changed (sigh).
    All my other opinions are national issues, so I'll keep them to myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Might I just add (and I'm not a Fianna Fáiler), Michael Kennedy has done some very good work in trying to bring IR to task over the disgraceful neglect of the Northern Commuter line but having read one of Dick Fearn's condescending responses to a query from Mr Kennedy, I'd be surprised if IR ever take into account the needs of their customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Are we not a five seater this time around?

Red C Poll prediction - November 2010:

Dublin N
    FF 13%
    FG 22% (1)
    LP 31% (2)
    GP 11.5% (1)
    SP 10.6%
    SF 6%

FF to lose 2 seats here, each to LP, who have an ample supply of councillors in Fingal. Sargant, on these figures, manages to hold on, staying ahead of FF1 on FF2 leakage, and then depending on FF transfers to stay ahead of SP’s Clare Daly. Very very close though, so I’d not be putting the house on anyone on the basis of this…. The metro North issue in particular could see FF being more resilient to the Gilmore Gale in Swords

http://irishpollingreport.wordpress.com/2010/11/22/redc-nov-2010-projections/

Personally I think Reilly (FG), Ryan (Lab) and Daly (SP) will get the first 3 seats. Not sure about the final seat.

The one who I have been most impressed with from this area is Darragh O'Brien. Found his excellent to deal with. I have met them all over the last 2 years and I think this time around the only change will be Brendan Ryan to replace Trevor Sargent.

Suprise Suprise, I think Corsendonk makes a very valid point above re the Hospital in every county, this crap must stop. There has been huge problem with cute hoor local politics, take a drive to Westport from Dublin and you have top class road, all the way, well nearly ya know the place the pet food factory the good road stops just beyond it. They are actually starting work on it att present I think. but this points at what has gone on.

How will we ever change it? All party Goverment? Bring in experts to Run departments?

Its a sad state of affairs when Lowrey and Healy-Rea wield so much power. I do however think there are some good T.Ds but we need a serious clearout.But we will probably vote a good few back in bacause he fixed the pothole or something silly.

Just looking at this again and I think F.F will do ok out here. I actually think they could hold onto 2 seats as we have 2 decent candidates in Michael Kennedy and Darragh O Brien. I also think James Reilly and Brendan Ryan will be elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I can't see FF hold onto two seats. There couldn't be that many gob$hites in NCD?? They will struggle to hold onto one seat and I would tip O'Brien to win it over Kennedy. I've never voted FF, but O'Brien has impressed on local issues and in the media. From a Donabate/Portrane perspective, Kennedy has been invisible.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ksimpson wrote: »
    I can't see FF hold onto two seats. There couldn't be that many gob$hites in NCD??
    See point 4 in post #1

ksimpson barred from posting in this thread again

Beasty

ksimpson wrote: »
    I can't see FF hold onto two seats. There couldn't be that many gob$hites in NCD?? They will struggle to hold onto one seat and I would tip O'Brien to win it over Kennedy. I've never voted FF, but O'Brien has impressed on local issues and in the media. From a Donabate/Portrane perspective, Kennedy has been invisible.

But we have not got away from the parish pump politics and as this goes on and Enda Kenny stuns us and the Greens lose more credability by the day I can see them (Fianna Fail) hold on to their 2 seats.

What does appear to be happening is most constituencies are carved up between people from the same party and maybe this is why you dont see Michael Kennedy. Darragh O'Brien on the other hand has a brother a Councillor and between them they seem to get a good bit done. Again I think we need a serious clearout of current T.Ds from all the parties as I believe this is the only way we can have any serious political and electorial reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I absolutly love Trevor, I dont like James Reilly at all.I found he patronising to me, when looking for a OT, a few years back.
    I hope Trevor gets in, I can tell you he never ever stops working.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

cathy01 wrote: »
    I hope Trevor gets in, I can tell you he never ever stops working.

In all my life I have only had one issue serious enough to contact a TD about and I went to Sargent. He just couldn't have cared less. I will never vote for him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I am looking forward to seeing how James Reilly gets on as the Health Minister (if he gets it). I think he has some really good ideas about reforming the health system in Ireland and he would be one of the few Minister's to actually have a relevant background in his Ministerial position.

Other than him I don't really know about the other candidates. Clare Daly is definitely off my list... can't stand her politics. Trevor Sargent is off the list too.

I'm not liking Fianna Fail these days (join the queue..right?) but I will admit that Michael Kennedy is a fantastic local representative. He's a great communicator and good at pushing local agendas. He has also helped out my family in the past year (and put some great effort into helping too). That of course is the inherent problem in Irish politics electing people to supposedly do things in the best interests as the nation, on the basis of their local commitments... but that's an argument for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

As a resident of a Pyrite infested estate in Dublin North, I will definitely remember the way that Trevor stood up for the residents when 'Straightjacket' Gormely washed his hand of the issue:mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I think voters this time should take a step back from local issues somewhat and look at the bigger picture.

Voting for someone from the labour party or fianna fail because thay re great lads in the local area is not going to sort out the countries problems imho.

Sizzler wrote: »
    I think voters this time should take a step back from local issues somewhat and look at the bigger picture.
    Which is fine, but this thread is to discuss local issues, not national ones.

Thanks

Beasty

Khannie wrote: »
    In all my life I have only had one issue serious enough to contact a TD about and I went to Sargent. He just couldn't have cared less. I will never vote for him again.
    If Trendy Trevor was the only candidate running I would spoil my vote.
    Uriel. wrote: »
    I think he has some really good ideas about reforming the health system in Ireland and he would be one of the few Minister's to actually have a relevant background in his Ministerial position.

Other than him I don't really know about the other candidates. Clare Daly is definitely off my list... can't stand her politics. Trevor Sargent is off the list too.

I'm not liking Fianna Fail these days (join the queue..right?) but I will admit that Michael Kennedy is a fantastic local representative. He's a great communicator and good at pushing local agendas. He has also helped out my family in the past year (and put some great effort into helping too). That of course is the inherent problem in Irish politics electing people to supposedly do things in the best interests as the nation, on the basis of their local commitments... but that's an argument for another day.

Will James Reilly be let reform the health service? I think not. The surgeons have to much power and he might well not get the support from his collegues like Leo Veradker.
    clunked wrote: »
    As a resident of a Pyrite infested estate in Dublin North, I will definitely remember the way that Trevor stood up for the residents when 'Straightjacket' Gormely washed his hand of the issue:mad:.

I email him a few times and was disgusted with his response on each occasion.
    Sizzler wrote: »

Voting for someone from the labour party or fianna fail because thay re great lads in the local area is not going to sort out the countries problems imho.

Are the opposition any better? I think we would struggle to 40 T.Ds who should be kept from all the parties in there and in fairness to D.C.Ns 3 of ours I would keep, Darragh O'Brien and Kennedy of F.F and Reilly of F.G. Overall I think there are some good people on all side of Irish politics but untill we have serious reform I dont see major changes. Do Turkeys vote for Christmas?

What would or should we priortise as our main needs for D.C.N? Ant then ask is the will there to get the jobs done.

• Advertisement

Will James Reilly be let reform the health service? I think not. The surgeons have to much power and he might well not get the support from his collegues like Leo Veradker.

I guess it remains to be seen. But I do hope he can make some sort of major strategic difference. Time will tell I guess. As Deputy Leader of the party I would hope he has some influence within the party.

We'll know in the next few years.

Anyone know what Reilly is like in terms of local politics/influence etc...?

Uriel. wrote: »
    I guess it remains to be seen. But I do hope he can make some sort of major strategic difference. Time will tell I guess. As Deputy Leader of the party I would hope he has some influence within the party.

We'll know in the next few years.

Anyone know what Reilly is like in terms of local politics/influence etc...?

Reilly is a fair man to talk anyway. I found him ok the few times I met him.

He could actually be a good leader of Fine Gael. Enda Kenny, Richard Bruton just seem to me to be very borring farts, dry and dont come accross very well. Reilly on the other hand looks like he could bring people along with him. So if he was elected leader of the party I think he could be more successful than Enda Kenny. That would be good for F.G in Dublin and especially in D.C.N as he could revive the party somewhat. Never see much of Nora Owen out this way. Only met her once back a few years (15) ago.

I dont like Reilly, because , one night , I sat in my sitting room crying because I had recieved a letter saying there is no OT, Occupational therapist for children in NCD with ASD . It just so happened he knocked on my door.I asked him in , showed him the letter and asked if there is anything he could do.He explained his own child had Autism and sure ,in his opinion Children with Autism dont really need it.
    For me that was enough, never again.Id never vote for him.By the way, we are still waiting four years for an OT appointment.

I dont like Reilly, because , one night , I sat in my sitting room crying because I had recieved a letter saying there is no OT, Occupational therapist for children in NCD with ASD . It just so happened he knocked on my door.I asked him in , showed him the letter and asked if there is anything he could do.He explained his own child had Autism and sure ,in his opinion Children with Autism dont really need it.
    For me that was enough, never again.Id never vote for him.By the way, we are still waiting four years for an OT appointment.

That's a shocking wait for an OT appointment, it really is.

As a matter of interest, did Reilly give you a rationale for his opinion? I'd be interested to hear it, considering he is a medical professional and also has the personal knowledge of having an autistic child.

I think that was his rational, hes a medical doctor, so even though he NEVER meet my daughter or me before, he thought it ok to let me know , sure she doesnt really need it.

I think that was his rational, hes a medical doctor, so even though he NEVER meet my daughter or me before, he thought it ok to let me know , sure she doesnt really need it.

Very strange move on his part...

Have you tried some of the other TDs. I really have found that Michael Kennedy has been a trojan worker for the locale (be it big issues or personal issues). I am not sure if he can help you in your specific circumstances but It really wouldn't do any harm to find out. With an election coming around the corner, TDs and potential candidates will (or should) fall over themselves to try help constituents in order to secure votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Reilly was head of the Irish Medical Organisation and negotiated the colossal pay increases for consultants and surgeons - resulting in them now earning 2-3 times that their British counterparts earn - so I don't think that he's going to be on the side of patients and a fairer health service for all. Like a lot of medics he comes across as arrogant and a know-all. Plus I can't stand the way he says "it beggars belief" in every interview he does. Get a different catchphrase! I don't like the fact that he doesn't live in the constituency - so he's not getting a vote from me (not that it'll make any difference - he'll romp home probably).

Kennedy may be an effective politician, but I was digusted when, at the pensioners' protests, he blamed the withdrawal of their medical cards on the fact that "single parents with 10 kids get free houses". This is not my blog but I did witness him saying it -
    http://redmum.blogspot.com/2008/10/calling-all-single-parents-in-dublin.html

Impressed with Darragh O'Brien - he seems sincere enough, and could be one of those FF politicians that might finally break the mould. Will he be running in DN next time? I seem to remember that the constituency would be broken up in some way that would leave him to another one.

Have always give Sargent my vote but was disappointed in his not taking a ministerial seat in the last cabinet. Maybe it was a matter of principle, but he should have made this clear to voters before the election. I'll still probably vote for him again.

I know Brendan Ryan and would be happy to vote for him - if he gets the nod from the convention. Voted for Daly last time too, but friends of mine who were at the 2007 count in Portmarnock were very unimpressed by her and her cohort's behaviour there. Would hesitate to give her my vote again.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

Unshelved wrote: »
    I don't like the fact that he doesn't live in the constituency - so he's not getting a vote from me (not that it'll make any difference - he'll romp home probably).

I thought James Reilly lives in Rush? He claims to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

By the way, we are still waiting four years for an OT appointment.

Cathy01, are you registered with the Mater CAHMS in Swords? We had to wait 2 years for an assessment, but it's an integrated service with OT, S&LT and psychologists, which means you don't run all around the place and they co-ordinate the appointments so the child isn't overloaded.

That's a local issue I want sorted - an expansion of this scheme.

Sorry for the off post bit, I only realised after I had posted.

• Advertisement

May I remind posters to debate the issues, and avoid electioneering

Saying a particular candidate get's my vote, or I don't like so & so is not what this thread is about.

In addition, if you have personal experience to back up your claims, then it's fine to share it (within the general posting rules), but could posters please avoid then asking for more details of individual examples - we are here to discuss the wider issues, and not individual grievances

Thanks

Beasty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement