Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election Thread - Mod Note - please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

dsmythy wrote: »
    Why? I'll vote for who i'd like to be a TD and leave the rest.

Because 4 people will be getting elected. So to get the most out of your vote, using PR, you should vote the whole way down.

The last seat might be between your 7th and 8th choices, and your transfer might be important. While you don't particularly like either of them, at least no.7 isnt as bad as number 8.

Of course everyone is entitled to vote how they please. And if after putting in your favourite candidate(s) you dislike all the rest exactly equally, then you should stop. But generally most people can find something to distinguish
    them, so should be able to vote the whole way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

James reilly's canvasers are in Lusk tonight going door to door? Isn't that illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

No, the moratorium is for press coverage only. It doesn't cover Internet, canvassing or post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Annoyed by James Reilly's leaflet that popped through my door this evening (and with his new posters that have gone up) - asking for votes on the basis that "this area needs a Minister...to ensure Metro North is built". Does he not see that that's exactly why this country is in the crappy situation it is - lots of rubbish politicians finding themselves with national influence but instead looking after their back yard, and not focussing on national issues.

He has plummeted in my opinion, and has relegated himself from my #3 preference to #8 (marginally ahead of Mr Kennedy).

Is this a sign of things to come from FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Peckham wrote: »
    Annoyed by James Reilly's leaflet that popped through my door this evening (and with his new posters that have gone up) - asking for votes on the basis that "this area needs a Minister...to ensure Metro North is built". Does he not see that that's exactly why this country is in the crappy situation it is - lots of rubbish politicians finding themselves with national influence but instead looking after their back yard, and not focussing on national issues.

He has plummeted in my opinion, and has relegated himself from my #3 preference to #8 (marginally ahead of Mr Kennedy).

Is this a sign of things to come from FG?

Agree with your sentiments and reasoning here. I have had one canvasser at my door and it was from James Reilly 2 weeks ago on a wet Saturday. I wont be voting for him well not in top 3 anyway but have to say I found his canvasser quite nice.

While people are angry with F.F what are we really replacing them with? I dont like the content of letter I got from Darragh O'Brien today, I found it to be a "begging" type of letter. Pressure?

I do think people like Darragh are needed and they are in all the parties younger people with a different vision for the country and a better standard of ethics to what has gone before them. There are some excellent candidates out there and like a previous poster said do your best to get there and make your vote count.

My final prediction
    Reilly
    Ryan
    Daly
    O'Brien or Kennedy

F.F. are pulling out all the stops to mobilise their voters and in fairness to both of these they appear to me be decent and hardworking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I had been planning to come home in time to vote, but unfortunately work has gotten in the way. The polling stations close at 10pm tomorrow - is that right?

Too late now but could you have voted by post?

(I would have went over for it):)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks for the offer Leo. :)
    Flights changed at last minute so it wasn't an option that I considered.
    My prediction:
    Reilly
    Ryan
    Daly
    Farrell

Saturday will be interesting - looking after my 2 sick boys while Mrs Billy takes a welcome break & me flicking between Little Einsteins/Spongebob/whatever & any televised counts.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hill Billy wrote: »
    me flicking between Little Einsteins/Spongebob/whatever & any televised counts.
    ... and I would have thought your best source for up to date election information would have been Boards ...;)

Ah well, looks like it will be down to me to keep an eye on this lot over the weekend:D

I'll be keeping an eye on the shop too. I pity the poor mods over in Politics though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Peckham

Bit of a random one - but does anyone think there's a chance that Alan Farrell could get more votes than James Reilly? He has had a higher profile campaign, opinion on him is less divided, and given his age and clean-cut image he probably fits the mood for a fresh approach a bit more than Reilly.

There is something about Reilly's posters and leaflets yesterday (no seat is safe, this area needs a Minister etc.) that made me think that he's nervous about his vote....but I guess that's the impression he wants to give in order to mobilise his voters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Peckham wrote: »
    Bit of a random one - but does anyone think there's a chance that Alan Farrell could get more votes than James Reilly? He has had a higher profile campaign, opinion on him is less divided, and given his age and clean-cut image he probably fits the mood for a fresh approach a bit more than Reilly.

There is something about Reilly's posters and leaflets yesterday (no seat is safe, this area needs a Minister etc.) that made me think that he's nervous about his vote....but I guess that's the impression he wants to give in order to mobilise his voters.

I'd be surprised myself to be honest. Since getting elected, Reilly has done a great job of creating a high profile and he has really risen in the FG ranks - Deputy Leader of the second biggest party in Ireland in less than 3 years in the Dáil. This has really helped him gain access to continued television and radio coverage. Also, the fact that he has taken over the poisoned chalice of health from the get go. Tough portfolio. Albeit, it was the grounds for his political career.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would be very surprised also, although Reilly has distributed a leaflet in Malahide/Kinsealy asking FG supporters to put Farrell #1 and Reilly #2

I think Alan will be fighting it out for the 4th seat, with Reilly topping the poll

If Reilly polls well on first preferences & gets in on the first count (as well may happen) then Farrell will be sure to pick up a substantial number of transfers I'd imagine.

But I suppose that it largely depends on whether the Reilly voters are 'party voters' & give Farrell a preference or whether they give their remaining preferences to other parties' candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

the debate between some of the candidates in Dublin North has finally found its way onto www.fctv.ie

Havent watched it all yet, but fair fecks to O'Brien for turning up and putting himself out there, and not hiding like FG, Ryan and Kennedy. He definitely won't be last on my ballot paper so!

Over the course of the campaign I've come to the strong opinion that with regard to the left wing candidates, Sargent and Daly are far more impressive candidates than both Ryan and Kelleher.

It is quiet in the forum this evening. I hope you were all out voting.

Been there & done that hours ago. The polling station was busy enough mid-afternoon. Plenty of families with children. Tomorrow is the interesting part now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I did it before work this morning. Was quiet enough at that hour, but still moving. Can't wait to see the results.

My prediction: Reilly, Ryan, Daly and maybe Sargent.

I heard Kelleher's a potential dark horse for the 4th seat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Done and dusted
    100% turnout from the Fowl household (and the bcmf one)

Didn't want to post this til it was over but couldn't get it out of my head this past month...

brewster2.jpg

RobFowl wrote: »

Didn't want to post this til it was over but couldn't get it out of my head this past month...

brewster2.jpg

Rob

Those of us that know you know that...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Well...

FF 15.1%
    FG 36.1%
    LAB 20.5%
    SF 10.1%
    Green 2.7%
    Ind 15.5%

FF 8% in Dublin

With FF on 8% in Dublin could be an interesting end today...

Greens on 2.7 so Cathy may be getting her divorce after all. (Will someone please think of the children)

So on the above figures 1FG, 1Labour, 1SP, + 1FG or Trevor????

• Advertisement

Well folks I don't know if any of you are monitoring the count but according to RTE the following are polling well from the boxes that have been opened so far:

Reilly, Ryan & Daly.

They're expecting the first count to be completed by 2.30pm today. The twitter hashtag for the Dublin North area is #dubn in case anyone is using it. The RTE twitter account for the area is @RTEdublinNORTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

If anyone is interested go to twitter.com and search for #dubn to get a live feed from the count as it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

FF got just 31 votes out of 450 votes in skerries community centre box

ROFL, and good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Can anyone point to an election, since the foundation of the state, where there was no FF deputy in Dublin North.

Spoke to an elderly voter last night who could quote, Paddy Burke, Belton, Rambo, GV, more recently, Jim Glennon, and in my view the last two, Kennedy and O'Brien.

Big changes for the party in this election, O'Brien may carry on in local politics but Kennedy will leave the field for good??

Any thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

martinn123 wrote: »
    Any thoughts

Good riddance to them.

I would be surprised to see Kennedy continue if he's not re-elected. O'Brien may continue in local politics but I would say he may struggle and go back to the dayjob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Tally-men are apparently calling the first 3 seats

Reilly
    Ryan
    Daly,

with a real dog fight for the 4th, Sargeant is polling well though

Newstalk update
    11:24: Dublin North - 67% boxes opened
    Daly SP 15.5
    Ryan lab 20.2
    Reilly FG 19.7
    Sargent Grn 8.5
    Kennedy FF 6.8
    Kelleher 6.5
    Farrell 10.6
    Harold 3.1
    O'Brien

No figure given for O'Brien, but as a result of a bit of mental arithmetic he's getting 9.1%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

98% of boxes: Reilly 20.4 Ryan 19.8 Daly 15.5 Farrell 10.6 Sargent 8.5 O'Brien 8.3 Kennedy 6.8 Kelleher 6.5 Harrold 3.1. 2 FG likely

Farrell looking good for the fourth seat but the transfers will be vital.
    FF worried Kennedy and O Brien so close on 7.11 and 8.47% that vote is so closely split neither will get a seat

FF strategy of running two candidates looks to have backfired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

100% tally

Reilly 20%
    Ryan 19%
    Daly 15%
    Farrell 10%
    Sargent 8.5%
    O'Brien 8.4%
    Kennedy 7.1%
    Kelleher 6.5%
    Harrold 3%