Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election Thread - Mod Note - please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Not a fan of FG at all (with the exception of James Reilly) but would much prefer to see Farrell in there than Sargent. He is the epitome of parish pump politics for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

from twitter

#dubn around 700 spoiled votes. Holding up the show. STILL waiting on first count..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

First count expected at 4pm.

Reilly elected on first count. I apologise to whoever I said that wouldnt happen.

Ryan 61 short.

• Advertisement

Reilly had 10,178 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Reilly elected on first count. I apologise to whoever I said that wouldnt happen.

Sure it was only an opinion! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hill Billy wrote: »
    My prediction:
    Reilly
    Ryan
    Daly
    Farrell
    From RTE News:
    :) REILLY, James (01) FG 20.6% 10178
    :) RYAN, Brendan LAB 19.9% 9809
    :) DALY, Clare SP 15.2% 7513
    :) FARRELL, Alan FG 10.8% 5310
    SARGENT, Trevor GP 8.5% 4186
    O'BRIEN, Darragh FF 8.3% 4115
    KENNEDY, Michael FF 7.1% 3519
    KELLEHER, Tom LAB 6.5% 3205
    HARROLD, Mark IND 3.1% 1512

From RTE News:
    :) REILLY, James (01) FG 20.6% 10178
    :) RYAN, Brendan LAB 19.9% 9809
    :) DALY, Clare SP 15.2% 7513
    :) FARRELL, Alan FG 10.8% 5310
    SARGENT, Trevor GP 8.5% 4186
    O'BRIEN, Darragh FF 8.3% 4115
    KENNEDY, Michael FF 7.1% 3519
    KELLEHER, Tom LAB 6.5% 3205
    HARROLD, Mark IND 3.1% 1512

Quota is 9870, FF are over 2k short between them!

Dublin North 70.2% turnout.
    Great to see, well done all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Second count has been completed. B Ryan is 2 votes short of the quota. M Harrold has been eliminated & the 3rd count is commencing. No TD's elected in the 2nd count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Tom Kelleher has been eliminated

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ryan's over the line.

Question: What happens to the 2nd preferences of Kelleher that would have gone to Ryan, it's just straight on to their 3rd preference?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Not a fan of FG at all (with the exception of James Reilly) but would much prefer to see Farrell in there than Sargent. He is the epitome of parish pump politics for me.

Funny....he's the one guy who totally failed us when we had a problem in our locality and went to the politicians about it to see if they could help.

Kennedy to take O'Brien over Sargent. Sargent eliminated. Farrel to beat O'Brien

Looks like trev is gone on the 5th count after 20 years a TD.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yup he's gone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Gutted to see Sargent gone :(

He's be a loss to Balbriggan especially.

I just hope he stays in politics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Khannie wrote: »
    Question: What happens to the 2nd preferences of Kelleher that would have gone to Ryan, it's just straight on to their 3rd preference?

They are deem unusable and not used.

Dont think thats correct. They'd work theie way down the preferences unitl there are no more. at least thats my understanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Delighted for Clare Daly. I'm gonna have to hire a ladder tomorrow so I can hoist a red flag over Swords Castle. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Fingal changing from Green to Red :D

SeaSide wrote: »
    Dont think thats correct. They'd work theie way down the preferences unitl there are no more. at least thats my understanding

Surplus votes

If a candidate receives more than the quota on any count, the surplus votes are transferred to the remaining candidates in proportion to the next available preferences indicated by voters (i.e., the next preference on each vote for a candidate who has not been elected or eliminated).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/proportional_representation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I believe Alan Farrell has been elected. Let's hope he's not a stranger over here once he's in the Dail. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Eoineo wrote: »
    I believe Alan Farrell has been elected. Let's hope he's not a stranger over here once he's in the Dail. ;)

He took the last seat over Daire O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just one more time... :D
    My prediction:
    Reilly
    Ryan
    Daly
    Farrell
    Congratulations to all those elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Eoineo wrote: »

Lets hope he aint a stranger out here on the streets meeting the people he will represent.

Delighted for Brendan Ryan I believe he will be good for the area. I have little faith in either of the F.G candidates elected for the area especially Alan Farrell mainly because I have never seen him in the area. NOTHING PERSONAL IN THAT JUST CANT TAKE TO EITHER OF THEM. No doubt Mr. Reilly will get stuck in but he has a few irons in the fire especially his role with the consultants which I hope does not get in his way in reforming the health service.

Disappointed for Darragh O'Brien. Darragh made a huge mistake backing Cowan but then it didnt do Kennedy any good. End of era for Trevor but I think he had become a little distant in the last year or two.

Anyway hope I am proved wrong in having not much faith in F.G.

Good luck to them all and hopefully they can turn things around for the country

LeoB wrote: »
    Nutjob is right:rolleyes: I am sure Clare will be the shop steward for the S.P.

Elected imo on purely local issues, I'll be surprised if she is returned in four years time, not the most eloquent of candidates either.
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Indeed its not just about North Dublin, which is why both their elections are a travesty.

+1 at least with the FG candidates we have something of a national representation, local issues are for councils not the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Inquitus wrote: »
    Indeed its not just about North Dublin, which is why both their elections are a travesty.

Until we have some reform of how we operate there will be a certain amount of local issues that T.Ds will get involved with locally and this is why I think Brendan Ryan will be good for North Dublin

Stheno wrote: »
    Elected imo on purely local issues, I'll be surprised if she is returned in four years time, not the most eloquent of candidates either..
    I agree I would be suprised if she is a success here. I have heard her a few times and she was "Emotive". As one person said to me she is like "a talking Tabloid"
    Stheno wrote: »
    +1 at least with the FG candidates we have something of a national representation, local issues are for councils not the Dail.

Agree to a point, I think Labour will play an important role in what happens over the next 4 years. They have slowly moved away somewhat from their union base and are just as representative as F.G in middle class areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Agreed, don't get the Clare Daly thing either. Waste of a seat IMO. Lots of noise, but no substance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement