Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election Thread - Mod Note - please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Corsendonk wrote: »
    A certain well know bookmaker is quoting these odds today

James Reilly (FG) 1/14
    Brendan Ryan (Lab) 1/10

Clare Daly (Soc) 1/3

Michael Kennedy (FF) 8/11
    Darragh O'Brien (FF) 8/11
    Trevor Sargent (Gr) 5/4

Tom Kelleher (Lab) 13/8

Alan Farrell (FG) 11/1
    Candidate (SF) 12/1
    Marcus de Brun (Ind) 25/1
    cathy01 wrote: »
    Wish I know how to rad all that betting stuff :o.I HONESTLY havent a clue.My brothers on his way down, so Ill get him to explain it for me.
    Thanks corsendonk, your a great one for the info.Cathy

I've reformatted the odds slightly to help explain.

According to the bookies:

Reilly and Ryan are cast iron certainities to get elected.

Daly is strongly fancied to take a seat.

The last side is wide open between Kennedy, O'Brien and Sargeant (slight edge towards the FF guys, but no idea which one of them will poll strongest)

Kelleher has an outside chance, the rest are very much long shots.

Of course the bookies arent always right, and there could be a few swings between now and polling day. Farrell's odds look a bit too high to me.

I hear Sinn Fein are frantically searching for a woman to run (given so few females on the card at the moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Biggest issue for me is a secondary school in Lusk.

Pupils in the National School:700
    Pupils in Educate Together:250?
    Pupils in Corduff:50?
    Pupils in Hedgestown: 50?

So you will have near on 1000 students exiting Lusk to get to school.

When we dropped into Rush to see the school there it looked pretty much in need on replacement urgently too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

SeaSide wrote: »

When we dropped into Rush to see the school there it looked pretty much in need on replacement urgently too

Well considering both Reilly and Ryan(two top candidates) are from the lusk area I would say talk to both of them about it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

True, no planning ahead. They don't build in extra capacity in education, environmental services or even transport. M50 widening scheme is a classic example.

I would have an issue with the way we give planning in this country to large housing developments but the service facilities always lag behind. Local authorities would be partly to blame for this.

Well considering both Reilly and Ryan(two top candidates) are from the lusk area I would say talk to both of them about it.......

Ryan is from Portrane/Donabate and lives in Skerries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Ryan is from Portrane/Donabate and lives in Skerries.
    Forgot, was probably mixed up with Sean who was living in Lusk the last time I voted form many moons ago......

I hear Sinn Fein are frantically searching for a woman to run (given so few females on the card at the moment)

I have no problem with them parachuting the high profile Toireasa Ferris in from Kerry.

She is the one at the front!
    145143.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

And that's the 'Crown Steward and Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead' behind her. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have no problem with them parachuting the high profile Toireasa Ferris in from Kerry.

145143.jpg

Do ye remember her on Late Late show with Pat Kenny? He nearly fell off his throne when she walked out to take her seat:D. She nearly missed getting dressed that evening!!Very pretty girl who would look even better beside some candidates running around the country.

She would definatley capture the hearts and minds of the young male voter!! and the not so young! and even more than the hearts and minds I hear you all say:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

145143.jpg

Is that you Andy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

145143.jpg

As long as she isn't wearing the same dress that she did with Pat Kenny when she parachutes down somewhere in North Co. Dublin. The children would have to look away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Lads, not wanting to sound like HB, but keep on topic or get a room.:D

Only kidden.

Im wondering , really now, corsendonk, would you not run??

Lads, not wanting to sound like HB, but keep on topic or get a room.:D

Only kidden.

Im wondering , really now, corsendonk, would you not run??

She has better legs than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

:D:o
    Im for real.You on?

As yous all know,Im a green and love Trevour, hes a pet.I remember when he gave a talk about how important it is to composs , my daughter age 6 at the time, took him for every word and her DS was found , socked in tomatoe juice etc in the composs bin a week later.:mad:

Well considering the budget cuts I don't think some of your concerns will be answered when they couldn't be sorted in the good times. So your looking for some smart thinking or candidates that can challenge the normal answers. Otherwise its robbing Peter to pay Paul politics all over again.

I agree, wishful thinking on my part but I believe if the will was there from all sides from ministers, civil servents and unions we could go a long way on the health issues, regarding hospital care. Same for anti-social behaviour. I think we are way to lenient on offendes and I just dont mean prison time, cut their social welfare payments or if they work massive fines.

Cathy I am not talking about giving kids negative vibes about weight Im talking about educating them on the benefits of regular exercise and healthy eating habits. Obeasityis an ever growing problem in Ireland, FACT

Its in the early stages but there are plans for a new secondary school in Rush on the Park Rd. Its in the early stages but at least the project is up and running now.
    True, no planning ahead. They don't build in extra capacity in education, environmental services or even transport. M50 widening scheme is a classic example.

I would have an issue with the way we give planning in this country to large housing developments but the service facilities always lag behind. Local authorities would be partly to blame for this.

Agree. Look at Golden Ridge. Mind you I dont think we will have a problem for forseeable future with big developments. But yes its crazy looking at what developers got away with, no playgrounds, very little open space and sticking in extra houses by making little changes to the planning applications.

:D:o
    Im for real.You on?

As yous all know,Im a green and love Trevour, hes a pet.I remember when he gave a talk about how important it is to composs , my daughter age 6 at the time, took him for every word and her DS was found , socked in tomatoe juice etc in the composs bin a week later.:mad:

Well I'd like to thank Trevor and the Green former Minister for the Environment for their proactive manner in which they dealt with the Pyrite issue which affects a number of his constituents:(:(:(:(:(.

Mind you, the same could be said of all local TDs.

Well at least the the two main opposition parties raised the matter in the Dail. I don't remember Trevor doing or saying anything although I would of course happily stand corrected on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 katie102938

I am reading a lot of people posting they will vote only for 3 candidates i was under the impression you had to completely fill out your ballot or your vote will be invalid and so not counted (Ranging form your most preferable down the list)
    For myself A vote for any of the political party's out there will not be my first choice, But will eventually feature on my ballot.
    I think Independents like Dr De Brun raise some interesting points and some harrowing facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I am reading a lot of people posting they will vote only for 3 candidates i was under the impression you had to completely fill out your ballot or your vote will be invalid and so not counted (Ranging form your most preferable down the list)
    For myself A vote for any of the political party's out there will not be my first choice, But will eventually feature on my ballot.
    I think Independents like Dr De Brun raise some interesting points and some harrowing facts.

You may vote for a single nominee, or number them all in order of preference. Anywhere in between is fine too.

• Advertisement

As jimdagym says - you may vote for one or all in order of your preference.

The 'harrowing facts' of the state of our economy, education/ healthcare/wefare systems, corporate governance/accountability will be all on my mind when I vote. Unless I am satisfied that a candidate has sound policies on tackling the above, & the will & ability to take action on them - they ain't getting my vote.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    As jimdagym says - you may vote for one or all in order of your preference.

The 'harrowing facts' of the state of our economy, education/ healthcare/wefare systems, corporate governance/accountability will be all on my mind when I vote. Unless I am satisfied that a candidate has sound policies on tackling the above, & the will & ability to take action on them - they ain't getting my vote.

You make a very valisd point there. If you are unsure of what a candidate will do or is capable of doing dont give them a vote. I am very unsure if we have a candidate with the "balls" of Mattie McGrath or John McGuiness running in this constituancy. Whether we like them or not Michael Lowrey and Jackie Healy-Rae got the goverment to row back somewhat on the universal social charge and thus aid the most needy in our communities. Ok the very wealthy will pick up this tab but I dont really have a problem with that

LeoB wrote: »
    You make a very valisd point there. If you are unsure of what a candidate will do or is capable of doing dont give them a vote. I am very unsure if we have a candidate with the "balls" of Mattie McGrath or John McGuiness running in this constituancy. Whether we like them or not Michael Lowrey and Jackie Healy-Rae got the goverment to row back somewhat on the universal social charge and thus aid the most needy in our communities. Ok the very wealthy will pick up this tab but I dont really have a problem with that

I thought the government had agreed to row back already on some of the universal social charge but Jackie Healy Rae and Michael Lowry claimed the credit for themselves. Healy Rae needs the votes for the "son" and Lowry needs to be returned to the Dail to help get Tipp Vegas up and running.
    Expect to see a lot more credit grabbing from other candidates before election day.

You make an interesting point about "balls". Do we need a party candidate that has balls to speak out? A maverick like Batt O'Keefe who will speak out but most likely have zero chance for a ministers job in any government or do we need a Politically Correct party man who follows his leader blindly like Darragh O'Brien but because he won't rock the boat has been connected with Junior ministers positions.

Over the top or what from Enda Kenny(FG)? He compared the end of the Celtic Tiger with the Siege for Leningrad that drove citizens to cannabalism to survive and had the largest loss of life ever know in a modern city. Are things really that bad out there in NCD?

Enda Kenny Quoted in Journal.ie Today
    This day, in 1944, the Siege of Leningrad was lifted. 900 days of horror. But, in that time, the great art treasures of The Hermitage were hidden. Shostakovich composed his Seventh Symphony.

Amid the wreckage of their city and their lives, students sat and passed their university exams.

By this day, 27 January, 650,000 people died. But the human spirit endured and life went on.

In a sense, the people of Ireland, have been under siege. Though in our case, there was no enemy bombardment. Instead, it was friendly fire: the banks, property developers, ‘experts’, watchdogs. The government. Those gifted with the most precious possessions a democrat has – their trust, their vote. But still, we endure. For too many of us, life has changed. Changed utterly. But, still, life goes on.

Wikipedia
    The 872 days of the siege caused unparalleled famine in the Leningrad region through disruption of utilities, water, energy and food supplies. This resulted in the deaths of up to 1,500,000 soldiers and civilians and the evacuation of 1,400,000 more, mainly women and children, many of whom died during evacuation due to starvation and bombardment. Piskaryovskoye Memorial Cemetery alone in Leningrad holds half a million civilian victims of the siege. Economic destruction and human losses in Leningrad on both sides exceeded those of the Battle of Stalingrad, the Battle of Moscow, or the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The siege of Leningrad is the most lethal siege in world history, and some historians speak of the siege operations in terms of genocide, as a "racially motivated starvation policy" that became an integral part of the unprecedented German war of extermination against populations of the Soviet Union generally.

Civilians in the city suffered from extreme starvation, especially in winter of 1941–1942. For example, from November 1941 to February 1942 the only food available to the citizen was 125 grams of bread, which by 50–60 per cent consisted of sawdust and other inedible admixtures, and distributed with ration cards. For about 2 weeks at the beginning of January 1942 even this food was available only for workers and military personnel. In conditions of extreme temperatures (down to −30 °С) and city transport being out of service a few kilometers to the food distributing kiosks were insurmountable obstacles for many citizens. In January–February 1942 about 700–10,000 citizens died every day, most of them from hunger. People often died on the streets, and citizens shortly became accustomed to the look of death.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I sense a drift away from "local issues"...

Anything non-local can be discussed in the politics forum, so can we get back to the original intention of this thread

Thanks

Beasty

I thought the government had agreed to row back already on some of the universal social charge but Jackie Healy Rae and Michael Lowry claimed the credit for themselves. Healy Rae needs the votes for the "son" and Lowry needs to be returned to the Dail to help get Tipp Vegas up and running.
    Expect to see a lot more credit grabbing from other candidates before election day.

You make an interesting point about "balls". Do we need a party candidate that has balls to speak out? A maverick like Batt O'Keefe who will speak out but most likely have zero chance for a ministers job in any government or do we need a Politically Correct party man who follows his leader blindly like Darragh O'Brien but because he won't rock the boat has been connected with Junior ministers positions.

Well he backed the winner of that part of the race. Not sure if Darragh would yet have the "Bals" to go as far as Batt O'Keeffe. But I think Darragh has slipped down the pecking order for junior ministery positions from where he was 2 years ago when he was accompaning Mary Coughlan on very important trade missions. Might have been a bad call but wonder who he voted for in leadership election.
    Over the top or what from Enda Kenny(FG)? He compared the end of the Celtic Tiger with the Siege for Leningrad that drove citizens to cannabalism to survive and had the largest loss of life ever know in a modern city. Are things really that bad out there in NCD?

Enda Kenny Quoted in Journal.ie Today

Wikipedia

This type of cliched response is typical of Enda Kenny, the silly jibes bordering on bad comedy.

To get back to local issues, Is there a list of questions we should have ready for the canvassers when they call? The most important issues facing us in North Dublin?

Mods would it be possible to have a list of the 5 or 6 top items and have a poll?

I listened to President McAleese today in St. Josephs secondary school in Rush today and she was inspirational. An excellent communicator. Perish the thought of some sitting T.Ds ever trying to walk in her shoes.
    Think Bertie fckd up any lingering notions he had with the way he answered that lady outside the Dáil the other day

LeoB wrote: »
    To get back to local issues, Is there a list of questions we should have ready for the canvassers when they call? The most important issues facing us in North Dublin?

Mods would it be possible to have a list of the 5 or 6 top items and have a poll?

I listened to President McAleese today in St. Josephs secondary school in Rush today and she was inspirational. An excellent communicator. Perish the thought of some sitting T.Ds ever trying to walk in her shoes.
    Think Bertie fckd up any lingering notions he had with the way he answered that lady outside the Dáil the other day

Politics had a thread on possible questions to ask. Most are national issues but some have potential local spins.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056160059

My own tip is to type up your questions, fill in the candidates answers when they come to your door and get them to sign them. People will say anything but when you ask them to put it in writing they start to sweat. Funny that....

Sunday Business Post
    Red C Poll

FG 33% Down 1%
    FF 16% Down 1%
    Labour 21% Down 2%
    SF 13% Down 1%
    Independents 15% Up 5%
    Greens 2%

Sunday Independent

MillwardBrown Poll
    FG 34%
    FF 16%
    Labour 24%
    SF 10%
    Independents 15%
    Greens 1%

Hve just registered to vote in Fingal (previously Dun Laoghaire=Rathdown) and also just stuck my English boyfriend on the registar for the first time. I plan to vote Labour having lived in Shankill for two years and having a massive respect for Gilmore based on those two years.... but he is (althoygh he's been here three years) very unversed in all matters political.... anyone give a very quick rundown of the people running in Fingal and the policies they are touting? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hve just registered to vote in Fingal (previously Dun Laoghaire=Rathdown) and also just stuck my English boyfriend on the registar for the first time. I plan to vote Labour having lived in Shankill for two years and having a massive respect for Gilmore based on those two years.... but he is (althoygh he's been here three years) very unversed in all matters political.... anyone give a very quick rundown of the people running in Fingal and the policies they are touting? Thanks.

You don't ask easy questions!! Impossible to give you a breakdown. All the party candidates should be touting the party line so your going to have to use the links below to trawl through each parties policies. Of course they all promise to turn the economy around, more jobs, better health care, improvements in education etc. Its like the Lisbon Treaty you got to put yourself through a little pain by reading through each candidates policies rather than listening to the man in the pub version.

James Reilly (FG)
    Alan Farrell (FG)
    http://www.finegael2011.com/index.asp (if you can work out how to find FG policies on this website you might want to solve the cure for cancer next. Two threads on boards already complaining how bad this site is to navigate).

Brendan Ryan (Lab)
    Tom Kelleher (Lab)
    http://www.labour.ie/policy/

Trevor Sargent (Gr)
    http://www.greenparty.ie/en/policies

Candidate (SF)
    None nominated as yet for Dublin North
    http://www.sinnfein.ie/sinn-fein-priorities-for-the-next-dail

Clare Daly (Soc)
    http://socialistparty.net/election

Marcus de Brun (Ind)
    http://www.healthreform-now.com/Products2.htm