Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 annemarie11

I cannot believe the type of language I'm reading from future graduates of this University.

It's too bad that your can't make your social events- too bad too that so many people do not appreciate the value of having the experience of higher education.

This debased form of language should not appear on any forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I cannot believe the type of language I'm reading from future graduates of this University.

It's too bad that your can't make your social events- too bad too that so many people do not appreciate the value of having the experience of higher education.

This debased form of language should not appear on any forums.

Chill the f*ck out!

F*cking power cuts yesterday were a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

The Cool wrote: »
    Hmmm, I don't know if they can do anything for me though, that's the thing. I only have French language on a Wednesday morning, I don't know when they'd reschedule it to be honest. Awk, it's just crap! I'm going to talk to a different lecturer friend tomorrow and see what he thinks. I'm so cross!!! Not fair!!
    In fairness, I doubt they even thought of the grad when they were scheduling it, but it is a PITA. Are there any others who will be affected?

Certainly flagging it up as early as possible would be the way to go.
    In my experience, most lecturers are willing to facilitate changes when things like this are presented with them. Definitely make contact with them and see if something can be arranged - for example, postponing it a week or having it week earlier. Are there others in your class also affected? If so, your case for a change is all the stronger.
    Ficheall wrote: »
    My advice: Skip the graduation - it's a tedious pile of ****. Skip going out getting pissed off your tits. Do some study, do well in your masters, which the ****ing French department has you doing, and you can do all the graduation crap next year when you have a Master's which one could argue actually means something, unlike the degree which they'd give to just about anyone who wandered in off the street.
    I agree that it's overly tedious and, tbh, boring. You sit there for hours waiting for your minute of applause! Despite that, the night after is good craic and shouldn't be missed if possible.

All that said, if the exam isn't going to be changed, then I'd follow Ficheall's advice. Your Master's is worth more than the night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Don't worry - I've already graduated.
    What, pray tell, is this supposed to mean? :confused:
    I'm not referring to the typo, here, but to your allusion that something said heretofore suggested that people do not appreciate the value of having the experience of higher education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Stupid Bloody bookshop and library not having any of the frigging books i need in stock.. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

I cannot believe the type of language I'm reading from future graduates of this University

260.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Skip the graduation? Tedious pile of ****? Is it strange that I'm proud to be graduating and want to be a part of it along with all my classmates, in whose company I've spent the last 4 years? Yes, the MA grad will be a bigger deal, but a much smaller event. Never mind the fact that it's as big a thing for my family as it is for me. I'm doing graduation, no question about it.
    Will go and talk to the lecturer this week to see what we can sort out.

Yes, it is a tedious pile of ****.
    I'm sure, or at least I hope, that you will do plenty of things more worthy of being proud of in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

The Cool wrote: »
    Skip the graduation? Tedious pile of ****? Is it strange that I'm proud to be graduating and want to be a part of it along with all my classmates, in whose company I've spent the last 4 years? Yes, the MA grad will be a bigger deal, but a much smaller event. Never mind the fact that it's as big a thing for my family as it is for me. I'm doing graduation, no question about it.
    Will go and talk to the lecturer this week to see what we can sort out.

Done it twice, very boring. Still it's not really about you or I is it? It's a day for mammy/daddy/husband/wife/significant suffering other to get dressed up and see where the'r person of interest has been sneaking off to for x number of years.

For that reason alone I went through it the second time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

RFID cards....FFS!

My swipe card worked perfectly for 2 years and now....all of a sudden they decide to change to RFID for no real good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 l0220

Yes, it is a tedious pile of ****.
    I'm sure, or at least I hope, that you will do plenty of things more worthy of being proud of in the future.

Saying graduation and the graduation celebration is a "tedious pile of ****"... sounds a bit narrow minded.

Just because you considered your own graduation a "tedious pile of ****" does not mean others will think the same (in fact, I'm pretty sure you are one of the small minority who think like this).

For most people graduation is one last opportunity to have an organised gathering of the people you've spent the last 3-4 years with. If you didn't get on with other students, fine, but most people make (at least a few) life long friends in college and many other (less close) friends who they wont see for quite a while.

By the time graduation comes round most people have also started work - or further study - and it's a great excuse to go revisit their undergrad years. Even if it is only a few months after finishing. Most people will remember their graduation for years, not as a "tedious pile of ****", but as a great memorable celebration of (for many) the end of their formal education and the start of a very different lifestyle, celebrating it with friends and family.

If at all possible, The Cool, don't miss your graduation.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Its as much a day for your parents as yourself

Go to it, sure the night out afterwards is always a bit of craic anyway

l0220 wrote: »
    Just because you considered your own graduation a "tedious pile of ****" does not mean others will think the same (in fact, I'm pretty sure you are one of the small minority who think like this).
    I didn't go to my graduation. I wandered down and said 'hi' to everyone afterwards and got some work done while they were sitting watching hundreds of other plebs go up and shake hands and collect a piece of paper which certified that they paid their fees and weren't a complete muppet.
    I did go to someone else's since though, and so was convinced that my understanding of proceedings was correct.
    l0220 wrote: »
    For most people graduation is one last opportunity to have an organised gathering of the people you've spent the last 3-4 years with. If you didn't get on with other students, fine, but most people make (at least a few) life long friends in college and many other (less close) friends who they wont see for quite a while.
    I agree wholeheartedly that it's nice to see all those people. However, I can think of better ways to spend the few hours than sitting in a hall praying for something to relieve the monotony.
    I generally find that I can make time to see my "life-long friends" without having to wait for some stupid ceremony organised by someone who knows nothing of any of our schedules.

Anyway, I think we're talking at cross-purposes. I think it's nice to have the day out with family and friends, but that the ceremonial bs is completely avoidable. I'm sure I'd probably be in the minority if I expressed the opinion that going out and getting pissed for the last few hours in these fine people's company wouldn't be my idea of a celebration of anything, so we'll not go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

I didn't go to my graduation. I wandered down and said 'hi' to everyone afterwards and got some work done while they were sitting watching hundreds of other plebs go up and shake hands and collect a piece of paper which certified that they paid their fees and weren't a complete muppet.
    I did go to someone else's since though, and so was convinced that my understanding of proceedings was correct.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's nice to see all those people. However, I can think of better ways to spend the few hours than sitting in a hall praying for something to relieve the monotony.
    I generally find that I can make time to see my "life-long friends" without having to wait for some stupid ceremony organised by someone who knows nothing of any of our schedules.

Anyway, I think we're talking at cross-purposes. I think it's nice to have the day out with family and friends, but that the ceremonial bs is completely avoidable. I'm sure I'd probably be in the minority if I expressed the opinion that going out and getting pissed for the last few hours in these fine people's company wouldn't be my idea of a celebration of anything, so we'll not go down that road.

Tis one day, wouldn't kill you to grin and bare it and do something for the family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

aido179 wrote: »
    RFID cards....FFS!

My swipe card worked perfectly for 2 years and now....all of a sudden they decide to change to RFID for no real good reason.
    It's for the printers and to possibly allow login into the college computers by swiping the card in the future, making the whole process a lot quicker. Although windows 7 will take so long to load, it doesn't really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bbnewyork

Folks sitting in the "short stay" section of the library, with those signs in front of each seat saying you can't leave your stuff to reserve it, and your items will be removed. Like anyone listens to signs... every day there are notebooks and backpacks and goddamn picnic lunches laying all over that section so I can't get a seat!

apoch632 wrote: »
    Tis one day, wouldn't kill you to grin and bare it and do something for the family

We clearly have differing ideas as to what one's family would appreciate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

bbnewyork wrote: »
    Folks sitting in the "short stay" section of the library, with those signs in front of each seat saying you can't leave your stuff to reserve it, and your items will be removed. Like anyone listens to signs... every day there are notebooks and backpacks and goddamn picnic lunches laying all over that section so I can't get a seat!
    The library's busy these days??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bbnewyork

Yes!

bbnewyork wrote: »

Move the least offensive one, or ask security/staff to do so and then sit down?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

What really pisses me off is, when in the library some people constantly sniffling.

Fair enough if you have a head cold or flu. But why cant people just get a Kleenex and blow their nose.

There's some idiot up here in the library for the past two days and he is sniffling back his snotty nose literally every 5 seconds, constantly, for hours!.

The height of ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Up on the second floor near the front of the library? Was there earlier today myself and was a similar story with some guy there, sniffing every few seconds. Pretty annoying.

What's annoying me these days is the bialann now charging €5.60 or something for pasta, and a euro extra for garlic bread, so nearly €7... compared to last year when it was €3.55 and bread was included? Fair enough the pasta isn't over-cooked and stodgy anymore but come on... Guess that's the end of eating there this year anyway.

meeka wrote: »
    Up on the second floor near the front of the library? Was there earlier today myself and was a similar story with some guy there, sniffing every few seconds. Pretty annoying.

What's annoying me these days is the bialann now charging €5.60 or something for pasta, and a euro extra for garlic bread, so nearly €7... compared to last year when it was €3.55 and bread was included? Fair enough the pasta isn't over-cooked and stodgy anymore but come on... Guess that's the end of eating there this year anyway.

College Bar is usually pretty good right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

constantg wrote: »
    College Bar is usually pretty good right?

Yup, I think the food is good, can be quite hard to find somewhere to sit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MilesManners

What really pisses me off is, when in the library some people constantly sniffling.

Fair enough if you have a head cold or flu. But why cant people just get a Kleenex and blow their nose.

There's some idiot up here in the library for the past two days and he is sniffling back his snotty nose literally every 5 seconds, constantly, for hours!.

The height of ignorance.

This is the worst thing in the world. I had some ginger arse gargling snot beside me during an exam once. He smelled like sweat and wee too.

This is the worst thing in the world. I had some ginger arse gargling snot beside me during an exam once. He smelled like sweat and wee too.

Does the fact that he had red hair have any bearing on the matter whatsoever??

actually, is there anywhere on campus (aside from the pub) to get a hot roll? chicken ideally, as im not a massive fan of hot lunches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MilesManners

Does the fact that he had red hair have any bearing on the matter whatsoever??

Not sure, I don't know too much about human biodiversity.

actually, is there anywhere on campus (aside from the pub) to get a hot roll? chicken ideally, as im not a massive fan of hot lunches...
    I know you said on campus, but Centra near Topaz/AIB, Wards on the corner near the Quad/Marine Science building, and Londis opposite the hospital are all bordering the 'campus' and depending where you are might be as near as anywhere on campus.

Apache pizza place on Lower Domnic St do the nicest chicken rolls in Galway, but it's a massive gamble whether or not the completely inept foreigners with piss poor communication skills manage to make it how you've asked.

• Advertisement

I know you said on campus, but Centra near Topaz/AIB, Wards on the corner near the Quad/Marine Science building, and Londis opposite the hospital are all bordering the 'campus' and depending where you are might be as near as anywhere on campus.

Apache pizza place on Lower Domnic St do the nicest chicken rolls in Galway, but it's a massive gamble whether or not the completely inept foreigners with piss poor communication skills manage to make it how you've asked.

Price wise how much are we talking roughly?

Price wise how much are we talking roughly?

I'm not stingy, but if its more that €3, I'll probably rely on bringing sandwiches/leftovers and buying a coffee instead!

Also any decent pubs near campus (proper bars, old man bars :) ) that do toasties and/or soup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I used to be a regular at the College Bar, going in every day with my friends for their unbelievably generous dinners. This year they've decided to switch on "Bialann Mode" and pinch every f*cking penny.

For instance, I went up the last day and ordered a meal that came with chips and veg for €7 (already more than they used to charge). I don't eat the vegetables they do but if there's mash I'll always take it. So when asked, "Do you want veg with that?", I replied, "No thanks, just some mash and gravy, cheers". Instead of the usual, "No worries!" yer man just blanked me and said, "Sorry, that'll be an extra euro".

Right, so to get some (previously free) mash instead of the (apparently still free) veg and a can of Coke would have cost me €9 in total. B*llocks to that. Cop on, SU Catering.

I'm not stingy, but if its more that €3, I'll probably rely on bringing sandwiches/leftovers and buying a coffee instead!

Also any decent pubs near campus (proper bars, old man bars :) ) that do toasties and/or soup?

Apache ones are €3. I dunno how much the Londis/Centra ones are. €4 probably?

The nearest pub to the college is the River Inn on Newcastle Rd, they do pretty nice soup. Further down that road there's a pub on Cookes Corner but I've never been in. Most of the pubs in town will do soup & a sandwich for around a fiver which is great, added bonus of not having to be surrounded by NUIjits (coining that one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Londis ones are 1.99

On the hot chicken roll.

Got one in centra last week. Roll, mayo, piece of chicken, cheese and lettuce.
    When I got home the price sticker said Hot chicken roll plus three fillings!.

So is mayo a filling now, or did yer man at the deli pull a fast one?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

I used to be a regular at the College Bar, going in every day with my friends for their unbelievably generous dinners. This year they've decided to switch on "Bialann Mode" and pinch every f*cking penny.

For instance, I went up the last day and ordered a meal that came with chips and veg for €7 (already more than they used to charge). I don't eat the vegetables they do but if there's mash I'll always take it. So when asked, "Do you want veg with that?", I replied, "No thanks, just some mash and gravy, cheers". Instead of the usual, "No worries!" yer man just blanked me and said, "Sorry, that'll be an extra euro".

Right, so to get some (previously free) mash instead of the (apparently still free) veg and a can of Coke would have cost me €9 in total. B*llocks to that. Cop on, SU Catering.

In fairness I think the carvery loses money and €5 without extras is a good price for a proper dinner. On the other hand I think the sanwhiches etc. make money.

On the hot chicken roll.

I don't see why it shouldn't be one. It surely costs a lot more than lettuce.

I'm pretty sure Centra bumped their prices up a couple years ago, because I used to be able to get a chicken roll with lettuce, cheese and tomato for whatever the normal price was, then they started charging extra for the third filling. Centra is an obscene rip off though, but Irish people are by and large total consumerist mugs so there's no point complaining about it.

I don't see why it shouldn't be one. It surely costs a lot more than lettuce.
    If this is the case, its the only place I know that charges for it.

I'm pretty sure Centra bumped their prices up a couple years ago, because I used to be able to get a chicken roll with lettuce, cheese and tomato for whatever the normal price was, then they started charging extra for the third filling.

:rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure Centra bumped their prices up a couple years ago, because I used to be able to get a chicken roll with lettuce, cheese and tomato for whatever the normal price was, then they started charging extra for the third filling.
    :rolleyes:
    Yes, as in the third of the optional fillings. Chicken is not really an optional filling in a chicken roll you see.

The nearest pub to the college is the River Inn on Newcastle Rd, they do pretty nice soup. Further down that road there's a pub on Cookes Corner but I've never been in. Most of the pubs in town will do soup & a sandwich for around a fiver which is great, added bonus of not having to be surrounded by NUIjits (coining that one).

Just found the River Inn on Googlemaps, seems nice enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm a regular at the River Inn - 7.65 or 7.95 for a dinner with student discount. MAKE SURE YOU MENTION YOU'RE A STUDENT WHEN ORDERING - they have to calculate the discount at point of order, not when paying. At 8euro for a proper dinner it's a flippin' bargain considering they'll always bang down a pint of MiWadi and are happy to re-fill you (This may seem like a given, but lots of places now charge 50cent for a pint of MiWadi)

Haven't eaten in the College Bar this academic year, but I don't see anything on their Facbeook about the 5euro meals on Tuesdays?? Has this stopped?

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm a regular at the River Inn - 7.65 or 7.95 for a dinner with student discount. MAKE SURE YOU MENTION YOU'RE A STUDENT WHEN ORDERING - they have to calculate the discount at point of order, not when paying. At 8euro for a proper dinner it's a flippin' bargain considering they'll always bang down a pint of MiWadi and are happy to re-fill you (This may seem like a given, but lots of places now charge 50cent for a pint of MiWadi)

Haven't eaten in the College Bar this academic year, but I don't see anything on their Facbeook about the 5euro meals on Tuesdays?? Has this stopped?

Toasties/Soup rate? and real coffee or *shudders* instant???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Toasties/Soup rate? and real coffee or *shudders* instant???

I don't know - I've never had a toastie/soup in there (feckin waste of money things anyhow!!), only the dinners as they offer great value for a proper din din's

Don't drink coffee either so can't comment

I don't know - I've never had a toastie/soup in there (feckin waste of money things anyhow!!), only the dinners as they offer great value for a proper din din's

Don't drink coffee either so can't comment

Thanks anyway! Was reminded of a great rebuttal when a friend asked for a coke or lucozade or something and was asked would that energize ****e be ok?

'sure, is fake money ok?'

:p didn't go down well, so we laughed our arses off moving to another bar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭theintern

On the hot chicken roll.

This is G&L yeah? Sounds to me like you got done, I go there a good bit and usually go for the chicken roll with butter, lettuce, cheese and tomato and it's always the standard price, 3.99 I think.

They do a couple of 5 euro meals every day now, I think they're pretty decent value actually.

The beeping noises from the photocopiers is an absolute head melter especially coupled with students (nearly always girls) who aren't capable of operating them. It's very worrying in the Cairnes building as it's all Commerce students... how are you gonna get your secretary job without being able to work a photocopier luv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Does anyone know when the reading room renovations will be completed? I really dislike studying in the library because of the intense heat while I'm struggling to study at home since my flatmate continually bursts into my room to chat (I lack the courage to tell him to feck off). Oh to have a key..

Does anyone know when the reading room renovations will be completed? I really dislike studying in the library because of the intense heat while I'm struggling to study at home since my flatmate continually bursts into my room to chat (I lack the courage to tell him to feck off). Oh to have a key..

Change the lock? Or invest in a wedge of timber and a good hard kick to drive it under the door.....?

Why is the Subway in An Bialann more expensive than the one in Westside and Headford Rd? The latter do a footlong & a drink for €5, it's six euro in the college. Is this because Subway are greedy tossers, or because NUIG are greedy tossers and are charging them higher rent so they have to raise their prices? Either way it's obscene that they are ripping students off more than the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Why is the Subway in An Bialann more expensive than the one in Westside and Headford Rd? The latter do a footlong & a drink for €5, it's six euro in the college. Is this because Subway are greedy tossers, or because NUIG are greedy tossers and are charging them higher rent so they have to raise their prices? Either way it's obscene that they are ripping students off more than the general public.

Subway is in general a ripoff everywhere when you consider what proper cafes and restuarants are charging for hot meals these days. That said, youre right it is terrible theyre charging students more. MIght have something to do with higher rents! I wouldnt be shocked

• Advertisement
Advertisement