Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

And you didn't s-h-neak out after them?!

Duuuuuuuuude!!! :(

Well presumably by girl things dude means photocopying/housework.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Ruire wrote: »
    Last week, I had three girls chatting away

The best thing to do when this happens is to lean in, tap their table with a pen and say "Could you stop talking please?". The ensuing red-faced embarrassment accompanied by silence is so worth it.

It's usually something like this:

"LOL yeah oh my god like, the lecturer was all like oh my god like!"
    *tap table loudly* "Could you stop talking please?"
    "Oh... *looking horrified* I'm sorry..."
    *pretends to look studious by pointing at friend's laptop screen and nodding - all without making noise*
    *eventually gives up and flees back to their seat*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

I hate the way you can't bring hot drinkis into the Library :( Tea helps me study :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Speaking about girls chattering loudly whilst you're trying to work - some of the computer suites have become full-time social events now, seems like. Gangs of students roaring at each other across several PCs about something mad on Facebook.

Problem is, it's not a library - do ya even have the right to tell people to at least use their "indoor voice" in a computer suite??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

trio wrote: »
    Speaking about girls chattering loudly whilst you're trying to work - some of the computer suites have become full-time social events now, seems like. Gangs of students roaring at each other across several PCs about something mad on Facebook.

Problem is, it's not a library - do ya even have the right to tell people to at least use their "indoor voice" in a computer suite??

If its bothering you, may as well make it known to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

trio wrote: »

We have a lab in one of the IT computer suites and for the last couple of weeks the lecturer hasn't shown up, so you wouldn't guess it was a lab. But we talk out loud to each other and that (usually about the stuff we've been told to do in the lab, but not always), even though there are other people in there because a) it's our lab slot and b) they're not supposed to be there!

Maybe that's what has happened to you? I guess though if you want peace and quiet, check if it's a booked slot firstly, if not I'd say go ahead and approach them about the noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    We have a lab in one of the IT computer suites and for the last couple of weeks the lecturer hasn't shown up, so you wouldn't guess it was a lab. But we talk out loud to each other and that (usually about the stuff we've been told to do in the lab, but not always), even though there are other people in there because a) it's our lab slot and b) they're not supposed to be there!

Maybe that's what has happened to you? I guess though if you want peace and quiet, check if it's a booked slot firstly, if not I'd say go ahead and approach them about the noise!

So that makes it ok to disturb people while they're trying to work?! And lots of times bookings are made for PC suites and never used at all...does that mean its a free-for-all and people can talk as loudly as they want because there's a booking?

ZRelation wrote: »
    So that makes it ok to disturb people while they're trying to work?! And lots of times bookings are made for PC suites and never used at all...does that mean its a free-for-all and people can talk as loudly as they want because there's a booking?

I'm just speaking from my experience, if my class have a lab we'll discuss the lab in the lab if we want to, we're not going to stay quiet coz Jimmy is trying to do unrelated work in there! It's booked for us so we'll use it how we want! If I go into a lab and the slot isn't booked for me, I'll whisper at most and that's only if I have to ask a question, but you can't give out about people talking in a lab if it is actually during a lab! When our lecturer does show up he'll announce that there is a lab on and if you aren't in the class, get out, because you will be disturbed and you're taking up machines the people taking the lab need.

If you're that desperate to not be disturbed, go to the reading room or the library (although, from reading this thread they don't appear to be very noise free areas either:rolleyes:)

I'm not condoning a free-for-all in the computer suites, it's just if there is a lab going on I don't think it's right to expect people to be quiet. :)

And I don't mean I'm condoning the "OMG did you see the state of Kate in that pic on Facebook, lololololololol" and that kind of stuff, coz that's seriously stupid behaviour!

Is there a reason why the new wheelchair lift isn't open yet? There doesn't seem to have been any work on it in the past few weeks and it's cordoned off with fences.

I'm just speaking from my experience, if my class have a lab we'll discuss the lab in the lab if we want to, we're not going to stay quiet coz Jimmy is trying to do unrelated work in there! It's booked for us so we'll use it how we want! If I go into a lab and the slot isn't booked for me, I'll whisper at most and that's only if I have to ask a question, but you can't give out about people talking in a lab if it is actually during a lab! When our lecturer does show up he'll announce that there is a lab on and if you aren't in the class, get out, because you will be disturbed and you're taking up machines the people taking the lab need.

If you're that desperate to not be disturbed, go to the reading room or the library (although, from reading this thread they don't appear to be very noise free areas either:rolleyes:)

I'm not condoning a free-for-all in the computer suites, it's just if there is a lab going on I don't think it's right to expect people to be quiet. :)

And I don't mean I'm condoning the "OMG did you see the state of Kate in that pic on Facebook, lololololololol" and that kind of stuff, coz that's seriously stupid behaviour!

Well I don't have a problem with people discussing work/labs in there at any time, its the other random chat I have a problem with...which in fairness you did say ye were doing aswell. Just don't get the attitude of 'its our lab slot, you're lucky to be in here, we can do what we want'...if the lecturer isn't teaching it should be the same as any other time in there.

On going to the reading room instead...sometimes that suits but if you need the software in the PC suites it doesn't really cut it.

• Advertisement

Well I don't have a problem with people discussing work/labs in there at any time, its the other random chat I have a problem with...which in fairness you did say ye were doing aswell. Just don't get the attitude of 'its our lab slot, you're lucky to be in here, we can do what we want'...if the lecturer isn't teaching it should be the same as any other time in there.

On going to the reading room instead...sometimes that suits but if you need the software in the PC suites it doesn't really cut it.

Ah in fairness you'd be a boring aul git to only ever discuss the lab in a lab, a bit of a joke every now and then isn't that bad, is it?

Yeah I get ya though when ya do need the software. Maybe you should but some headphones and listen to white noise if the talking is that bad? If you don't want to just say shut the hell up like! I know a fella who swears by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 auntiebee

does anyone else think the food in the bialinn is overpriced ? also smokies are now charging 5cent for the use of plastic cutlery

Ah in fairness you'd be a boring aul git to only ever discuss the lab in a lab, a bit of a joke every now and then isn't that bad, is it?

Yeah I get ya though when ya do need the software. Maybe you should but some headphones and listen to white noise if the talking is that bad? If you don't want to just say shut the hell up like! I know a fella who swears by it!

Ha...but I am a boring auld git! Ah no...a bit of chat/banter is grand, just some people pull the piss.

auntiebee wrote: »
    Smokies are now charging 5cent for the use of plastic cutlery

WTH!? Are you serious? I never saw that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Chat and banter is all well and good in the labs in my opinion (in moderation of course), but once it comes to them being noisey little dickheads and bitches getting over excited and talking over each other, that is what I would have a big problem with. The thing is I do Business Information Systems and have our own course-designated labs that only students from the course can get access to by swiping their Student I.D.'s — as I'm sure many other courses have — but some evenings when I'm going in to use Visio or Project on the computers for an assignment or what have you, you sometimes approach the door of the lab and there's a fucking bin holding it open, you walk in and you find about 10 B.Comm students running over and back to each of their friends computers roaring about some fatuous, abject piece of retardedness one of them seen of Facebook.

They shouldn't even be there, Goddammit! Stop being such an annoyance and go away. One of these days I'll smash a PC monitor over someones' head. I let nobody in, if you don't have your key; tough. Sadly that doesn't stop someone else for opening the door for them. The only job for studying is getting a good set of headphones and playing yourself some music which helps you study (Philip Glass is the only job for me), I left my Sony Youth Fusion headphones back in my brothers house in Dundalk one week and I nearly died, the bus journeys alone was absolute torture without them.

Students have discovered an ingenious solution to the new RFID lock on the Reading Room doors - wedge a bin between the doors. It's annoying, considering the lock is a good idea.

Yer wan opposite me in the library who keeps coughing over her laptop into my space/face..:mad: Grrrrrrrrrrrr....

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Students have discovered an ingenious solution to the new RFID lock on the Reading Room doors - wedge a bin between the doors. It's annoying, considering the lock is a good idea.

Yeah I don't get this, are they too lazy to send an email off to register their card, or what? Surely it can't be that difficult to remember to bring the card with you?

It's a bit early for Leaving Certs to be hanging around, too.. All else aside it actually does block the entrance, I've been taking the liberty of moving the bin whenever I see it wedging the door open.. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

How long does it take before you get registered?. I sent an email over the weekend, would I be able to get in the reading room tomorrow morning or does it take a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Just don't get the attitude of 'its our lab slot, you're lucky to be in here, we can do what we want'...if the lecturer isn't teaching it should be the same as any other time in there.
    Actually, don't mean to be argumentative, but it's not.

If the room has been booked for a group, it's booked for that group whether the lecturer is actually present or not. Work may have been set (even if only in a general way like "continue on your projects / tasks from the last day") and that is the priority for the space at that time. And if that requires (or benefits from) a certain amount of discussion / chat, fair enough.

Obviously doesn't mean that people should be taking the pish, but that group does have priority for that room at that time, officially, according to the Univ. bookings system. :)

• Advertisement

Actually, don't mean to be argumentative, but it's not.

If the room has been booked for a group, it's booked for that group whether the lecturer is actually present or not. Work may have been set (even if only in a general way like "continue on your projects / tasks from the last day") and that is the priority for the space at that time. And if that requires (or benefits from) a certain amount of discussion / chat, fair enough.

Obviously doesn't mean that people should be taking the pish, but that group does have priority for that room at that time, officially, according to the Univ. bookings system. :)

Yes I take your point, technically the group has priority for the lab for that time slot, and if push came to shove other users would have to leave if a PC was required. I suppose what I was trying to say was, just because you're booked for a lab it doesn't give you free reign to disturb people who are trying to work by chatting loudly (have no problem with people disucssing labs stuff/talking quitely in there). Practically speaking most people stay in a lab trying to work until told to leave, they don't leave because they see a booking on the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That's fair enough. :)

meeka wrote: »
    I've been taking the liberty of moving the bin whenever I see it wedging the door open.. :cool:

Myself included. I'm not having my stuff robbed when I go to the bathroom just because someone hasn't bothered to get their card set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

So I see NUI Galway SU passed a motion of solidarity with occupy Galway, as well as banning speakers from listed organisations. The fact that, according to sin, 96% of students had not being consulted by class-reps on these motions confirms the whole representation thing is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Reillyman wrote: »
    So I see NUI Galway SU passed a motion of solidarity with occupy Galway, as well as banning speakers from listed organisations. The fact that, according to sin, 96% of students had not being consulted by class-reps on these motions confirms the whole representation thing is a joke.

"Decisions are made by those who turn up".

Just like in the real world, you are supposed to vote for someone who'll represent you. If your class elected the wrong person because they do not represent the views or carry out the will of the majority in the class then get rid of them and stand for the position yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

"Decisions are made by those who turn up".

Just like in the real world, you are supposed to vote for someone who'll represent you. If your class elected the wrong person because they do not represent the views or carry out the will of the majority in the class then get rid of them and stand for the position yourself.

"One class-rep reported that he did not receive the motions on the day of the vote and did not have time to consult his class. Other reps did not receive the motions at all and were only introduced to them at the meeting."

Add to that the sin poll which showed that 48% of students would have voted NO to the no platform motion surely the motion should be debated and voted on again, this time with more awareness and publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Camilo

Dear everyone.

If im walking by you in the library and look by your seating area i am just looking for a seat not eyeing you up for future rape. No need for the rabbit-caught-in-the-headlights look.

Cheers
    -Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Camilo wrote: »
    Dear everyone.

If im walking by you in the library and look by your seating area i am just looking for a seat not eyeing you up for future rape. No need for the rabbit-caught-in-the-headlights look.

Cheers
    -Niall

I've gotten friendly waves before, so maybe it's personal. Or maybe I spend too much time in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

So last saturday I sent an email to access control to get into the reading room. A WEEK later and im still not able to get in?! What kind of a F'ing system do they have.. TOTAL joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Just in case, make sure you're scanning the card over the receiver correctly. I activated my card a few days ago and tried it on friday morning and it didn't seem to work as i was swiping it a little too quickly, swiped it slowly over the receiver and it worked.... just in case that was your problem.
    cat_xx wrote: »
    So last saturday I sent an email to access control to get into the reading room. A WEEK later and im still not able to get in?! What kind of a F'ing system do they have.. TOTAL joke.

yer man! wrote: »
    Just in case, make sure you're scanning the card over the receiver correctly. I activated my card a few days ago and tried it on friday morning and it didn't seem to work as i was swiping it a little too quickly, swiped it slowly over the receiver and it worked.... just in case that was your problem.

Thanks! But no it definitely isnt activated! Tried for ages this morn!

You don't swipe RFID cards, they're activated by hovering your card in front of them. Just hold it still until it beeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cool croc

that air con motor thing that keeps buzzing in the readin room is a pain in the a-hole, fit to rip it down from the ceiling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tpformybumhole

I think NUIG's pretty awesome but there is one thing that really really really annoys me and all of my friends.
    The people who use IT101A on a regular basis are extremely annoying people. I don't know why but they seem to go out of their way to make as much noise as possible even when there are clearly other people there. Fair enough have a conversation if ya want like but why do they have to shout and laugh out loud like fools all the time? One time a friend said that they were actually watching gay porn out loud in the room. Whats that about? Its a joke whatever but why would anyone put that on out loud when there are other people in the room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

As far as I'm concerned I just can't stick the library when it's busy especially around exam time.

It appears compulsory for a vast amount of people to come in early, go on facebook for 10/15 minutes get up and leave and stay away for the majority of the day while people who genuinely wish to study are left without a seat.

Also why do people see studying in the library as some kind of social event where you can walk around looking like ya own the place and go in groups of about 3 over to a certain friend and proceed to have about a ten minute conversation about generally how screwed they are for exams and how great their last night out was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i've given up on studying in the library and reading room tbh. too hard to find a space at peak times. i just go to one of the classrooms in the arts millennium or the concourse. much quieter and easier to study in.

You don't swipe RFID cards, they're activated by hovering your card in front of them. Just hold it still until it beeps.

Yes but if it's too close to the receiver it rejects the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

what really p*sses me off about the college is that there's only one pub! other colleges at least have a choice of spots and you can chose your group a bit more as well.

Also what's with the wall cafe place? Is it that SHOEBOX (i get the irony of using big letters to describe a small place) outside the main gym area?

constantg wrote: »
    what really p*sses me off about the college is that there's only one pub! other colleges at least have a choice of spots and you can chose your group a bit more as well.

The College Bar is quiet at the best of times. Another pub would make it a ghost town...

• Advertisement

So still not able to get into the reading room after 2 weeks! I emailed access control AGAIN and even called to the security office but he said he couldnt do it and to keep emailing access control. total joke!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

The College Bar is quiet at the best of times. Another pub would make it a ghost town...

Agreed 100%. However there is a problem with the college bar and that is when on busy days (granted not too often except first week back both semesters, and the afters of the main college balls and special events) the staff behind the bar are very poor I feel.

Firstly there's only about 3 behind the huge bar and the place is chockers!

Secondly they only take one order at a time and they're ridiculously slow getting drinks. I remember in January at the commerce ball afters it actually took me a half hour to get a pint no exaggeration. It came to the stage we just had to leave it was depressing. I wouldn't mind but in the main nightclubs in town in all fairness I've seen guys taking about 3 massive orders at a time and no bother and they get on with it without delay. The standard of bar staff at the college bar is poor in this regard.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Agreed 100%. However there is a problem with the college bar and that is when on busy days (granted not too often except first week back both semesters, and the afters of the main college balls and special events) the staff behind the bar are very poor I feel.

Firstly there's only about 3 behind the huge bar and the place is chockers!

Secondly they only take one order at a time and they're ridiculously slow getting drinks. I remember in January at the commerce ball afters it actually took me a half hour to get a pint no exaggeration. It came to the stage we just had to leave it was depressing. I wouldn't mind but in the main nightclubs in town in all fairness I've seen guys taking about 3 massive orders at a time and no bother and they get on with it without delay. The standard of bar staff at the college bar is poor in this regard.

I think that's mainly because the college bar tend to take on new people every year i.e people that may not have bar experience so they are only starting off where as in nightclubs/bars in town they usually on hire people with a couple of years experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I've told this printer twice already to only print on one side of the page and it refuses to do so. Why?

People with earphones on loud in library...... please.......:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

People with earphones on loud in library...... please.......:mad:
    Yeah I can imagine that's very annoying; I wouldn't know totally as I wear headphones. :pac: Although in my own defence I do test the waters first and take them off whilst playing to make sure nobody but myself can hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Was in the library today and there was a line of people waiting to use the computers on the first floor, and there was some girl sitting at one of them browsing through Facebook and also texting at the same time, not doing anything meaningful. I felt angry just looking at her. I don't think I could ever do that if I knew there were people waiting to use the computers for actual productive means.

Was in the library today and there was a line of people waiting to use the computers on the first floor, and there was some girl sitting at one of them browsing through Facebook and also texting at the same time, not doing anything meaningful. I felt angry just looking at her. I don't think I could ever do that if I knew there were people waiting to use the computers for actual productive means.

I just heard today that they didn't put in the Facebook ban when they upgraded to Windows 7. That must be awful annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I just heard today that they didn't put in the Facebook ban when they upgraded to Windows 7. That must be awful annoying.

I didn't know that. I've never tried to access Facebook in college, so I guess I wouldn't know. I assume they'll block it eventually though. They can't leave that unblocked or it'll just go back to people spending all their time on Facebook rather than doing what they came in to do on the college computers.

Unless I can't use my laptop at home for some reason or another, I very rarely spend more than 20 minutes at a computer in college, particularly in college. There are so many people waiting to use them all the time seemingly that I just feel like I should be as quick as possible and get out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭NuckyT

Facebook is usually blocked during peak times

• Advertisement
Advertisement