Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Fn ridiculously small chicken fillets used in the chicken baguettes in an Bialann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

The college bar trying to charge me extra for lettuce on a sandwich from the specials?! WTF College Bar.. I was not a happy chappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I.T. server is down :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

There are so many people waiting to use them all the time seemingly that I just feel like I should be as quick as possible and get out of there.

• Use NUIG computers
    • Be as quick as possible

Choose one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I.T. server is down :(

Which one?

Which one?

Can't log onto any of the IT dept suites or postgrad offices. Opens (if you are lucky) the default (blank) profile after about 20 minutes and cannot use FDrive. Affects postgrads and undergrads (who use the same server to the best of my knowledge), dunno about staff.

I think there might have been a power cut last night which shut the server down and it needs to be restarted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Why the hell do people leave their stuff lying around in study spaces? if you're not going to be there for an hour or two, take it with you and free up a space/socket for someone else to use! it's getting ridiculous the amount of people doing this.

Use the IT classroom, they're being used as study spaces and are usually empty.

I used to use them last year, but they were always closed on weekends. Have they changed that this year?

• Advertisement

Well they've been used this weekend anyways.

Well they've been used this weekend anyways.

Cheers, much better studying there than the reading room or lecture halls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

When you're sent to the Galway bay Hotel for a half 9 exam, then the kingfisher for a half 2 exam the same day, AND you're in final year :(

When you're sent to the Galway bay Hotel for a half 9 exam, then the kingfisher for a half 2 exam the same day, AND you're in final year :(

no use now, but if it's the same in summer, get onto your lecturers about it. the 4th year physics class got their exam timetable changed a bit a few years ago cos it was horrible, kicked up a fuss, and had it changed.

RolandIRL wrote: »
    no use now, but if it's the same in summer, get onto your lecturers about it. the 4th year physics class got their exam timetable changed a bit a few years ago cos it was horrible, kicked up a fuss, and had it changed.

My class did the same thing this year, got an exam postponed by a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

9:30 exam in fucking Leisureland.

Fuck it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

My class did the same thing this year, got an exam postponed by a week.
    this is weird, because I was chatting to my course supervisor the day after it came out and he said his hands were tied! :mad:

If it's only you, it might be that way, but if the whole class is affected by it, try going to him together to get him to pressure the Exams Office to change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ah come on, it's only about 45 minutes' walk...

Ficheall wrote: »
    Ah come on, it's only about 45 minutes' walk...

45 minutes that could be used for study, which could make a big difference.

Yeah, right.
    I certainly wouldn't go complaining to staff that you need to reschedule your exam because otherwise you'll miss out on 45 minutes study that you need to do for the exam.
    A 45 minute walk to clear the head should do one as much good as 45 last minutes' cramming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

RolandIRL wrote: »
    Why the hell do people leave their stuff lying around in study spaces? if you're not going to be there for an hour or two, take it with you and free up a space/socket for someone else to use! it's getting ridiculous the amount of people doing this.

This sort of carry on is ridiculously childish and drives me nuts!

I was in there two weeks ago, not a free space available but only half (at best) the seats had people in them. I eventually moved some scraps of paper from a spot and sat down, the girl in the space beside me said the guy left a few bits there in the morning and left for the day :mad:

Yeah, right.
    I certainly wouldn't go complaining to staff that you need to reschedule your exam because otherwise you'll miss out on 45 minutes study that you need to do for the exam.
    A 45 minute walk to clear the head should do one as much good as 45 last minutes' cramming.
    Depends though. Having to get up extra early for a 45 minute walk to Salthill in the absolute pissing rain and gale force winds don't exactly best prepare you for an exam. I had a test on campus a couple of weeks ago and had left the house two minutes before I was literally soaked to the skin, water gushing out the bottom of my trousers, the top I was wearing under my jacket soaked from the bottom up, and my backpack containing books, notes and a laptop soaked through. I had no choice but to turn back and miss my exam. Thankfully it wasn't a major exam and the lecturer rescheduled, but what if this happens next week? Trudge on for another 40 minutes, and sit my water-logged self down for 2 hours trying to concentrate while I form a huge puddle in the lovely Galway Bay Hotel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Depends though. Having to get up extra early for a 45 minute walk to Salthill in the absolute pissing rain and gale force winds don't exactly best prepare you for an exam. I had a test on campus a couple of weeks ago and had left the house two minutes before I was literally soaked to the skin, water gushing out the bottom of my trousers, the top I was wearing under my jacket soaked from the bottom up, and my backpack containing books, notes and a laptop soaked through. I had no choice but to turn back and miss my exam. Thankfully it wasn't a major exam and the lecturer rescheduled, but what if this happens next week? Trudge on for another 40 minutes, and sit my water-logged self down for 2 hours trying to concentrate while I form a huge puddle in the lovely Galway Bay Hotel?

Where was your umbrella-ella-ella-ella?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Where was your umbrella-ella-ella-ella?
    Don't be absurd. What sort of loser carries an umbrella?!

Really though. Sideways rain would have kicked mine and the umbrella's arse. It also wasn't raining when I left the house. It literally pissed down the moment I left, and pretty much stopped the moment I got back in the house. Maybe I should attend Mass more.

I'm not convinced that people who live in Galway and don't have proper wetgear deserve a degree...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ru437z9t8fidq2

I'm not convinced that people who live in Galway and don't have proper wetgear deserve a degree...

you're so sound..

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭NuckyT

I'm too cool for wetgear!

you're so sound..

I would have gone with "dry", but there you go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Ficheall strikes again! I'm really considering creating a noun for this! Fichealled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

I'd say Ficheall could go on all day about the people who don't deserve degrees.

• Advertisement

Reillyman wrote: »
    Ficheall strikes again! I'm really considering creating a noun for this! Fichealled!
    You need to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

I didn't go to my graduation. I wandered down and said 'hi' to everyone afterwards and got some work done while they were sitting watching hundreds of other plebs go up and shake hands and collect a piece of paper which certified that they paid their fees and weren't a complete muppet.
    I did go to someone else's since though, and so was convinced that my understanding of proceedings was correct.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's nice to see all those people. However, I can think of better ways to spend the few hours than sitting in a hall praying for something to relieve the monotony.
    I generally find that I can make time to see my "life-long friends" without having to wait for some stupid ceremony organised by someone who knows nothing of any of our schedules.

Anyway, I think we're talking at cross-purposes. I think it's nice to have the day out with family and friends, but that the ceremonial bs is completely avoidable. I'm sure I'd probably be in the minority if I expressed the opinion that going out and getting pissed for the last few hours in these fine people's company wouldn't be my idea of a celebration of anything, so we'll not go down that road.

I can't say because i'm in third year, but I personally can't see how people think that one days work can be more important that the day they are finished, and a day of celebrating with the people you've spent so long and gone through so much with (and for mammy and daddy who've put up with bitching coming up to exams). It seems nice to do and.. I don't know, I guess I don't really understand how anybody can bitch and moan about it. It can't be exciting all day long, but no doubt it can be exciting.
    Guess it depends on how much craic you are though ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

You'd think that wouldn't you :p

I can't say because i'm in third year, but I personally can't see how people think that one days work can be more important that the day they are finished, and a day of celebrating with the people you've spent so long and gone through so much with (and for mammy and daddy who've put up with bitching coming up to exams). It seems nice to do and.. I don't know, I guess I don't really understand how anybody can bitch and moan about it. It can't be exciting all day long, but no doubt it can be exciting.
    Guess it depends on how much craic you are though ;):p

That post is from 15 pages ago... are you just really bored avoiding study, or what? :confused: I realise that Reillyman may have inadvertently drawn attention to my posts for some reason (incidentally - How is "Fichealled" a noun?), but if you want to get to know me it would probably be easier just to ask me out :P

Hmm, you know I wasn't quite sure if it would be a noun or a verb, and I actually consulted the dictionary for some similar references to decide because I knew you'd comment on that aspect, I guess I picked the wrong one.

Fichealled - origin:boards.ie

For one to be "Fichealled" is to be talked down to and condescended by the morally superior boards.ie user "Ficheall".

eg)

Random user: Does anyone know if the reception in the Cairnes building is open at the weekends.

Ficheall: Maybe if you actually went into college instead of lying in bed hungover all day after a drink-fuelled night holding back your friends hair while she puked on her shoes, fell all over the place, and generally acted inappropriately, you might know these things. People who don't know if facilities are open or not at weekends ought not to attain even status of a human being never mind a degree.

Random user has being Fichealled...

EckzkmShbV_o-reilly.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Random user: Does anyone know if the reception in the Cairnes building is open at the weekends.

Ficheall: Maybe if you actually went into college instead of lying in bed hungover all day after a drink-fuelled night holding back your friends hair while she puked on her shoes, fell all over the place, and generally acted inappropriately, you might know these things. People who don't know if facilities are open or not at weekends ought not to attain even status of a human being never mind a degree.

Random user has being Fichealled...
    I'd say that was a pretty much perfect representation of something Ficheall would post, jolly well done. Also, I think Ficheall is one of a few posters on boards (from what I've seen, at least) who simulates ones' own views on such random posters, like that of the above example, except isn't afraid of coming across as a complete knob, no offence...

But yes, the majority of random posters, to me, seem like uninterested dickheads who aren't in college for its purpose and spend all their time acting like abject cretins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

Just went onto the library website to look at exam papers and they have a notice up saying the site will be down from 12 on Friday to 9 on Monday. Are they idiots? They really could not have picked a more inconvenient time to do their stupid upgrade and now I have to go and save every possible exam paper I may need :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Annoyed today about the constant overuse of the word "procrastinate" by students around exam time. You never hear it at any other time of year and for any other purpose. One can be dilatory, prolong, protract, retard, dawdle, dally, temporise, amble, obstruct, prorogue, intermit or simply admit you are lazy. You don't all have to use the same clever long word all the time ya know.

• Advertisement

Hmm, you know I wasn't quite sure if it would be a noun or a verb, and I actually consulted the dictionary for some similar references to decide because I knew you'd comment on that aspect, I guess I picked the wrong one.
    Past participle of a verbification, so to speak, surely?

bildo wrote: »
    Annoyed today about the constant overuse of the word "procrastinate" by students around exam time. You never hear it at any other time of year and for any other purpose. One can be dilatory, prolong, protract, retard, dawdle, dally, temporise, amble, obstruct, prorogue, intermit or simply admit you are lazy. You don't all have to use the same clever long word all the time ya know.
    Perhaps they are meaning to look up synonyms but just haven't got around to picking up that thesaurus?

Past participle of a verbification, so to speak, surely?

That sounds about right! Cheers!

bildo wrote: »

Except most of those don't really mean the same thing as 'procrastinate' in the sense that they mean it...
    A thesaurus is a double-edged scimitar.

Except most of those don't really mean the same thing as 'procrastinate' in the sense that they mean it...
    A thesaurus is a double-edged scimitar.

Majority of NUIG students that use the word "procrastinate" = FICHEALLED

Give it a rest. That doesn't even fit your earlier definition of "Fichealled" anyway. I've nothing against people who use the word 'procrastinate'.
    'Like', maybe...

• Advertisement

Give it a rest.
    Haha never.
    That doesn't even fit your earlier definition of "Fichealled" anyway. I've nothing against people who use the word 'procrastinate'.
    'Like', maybe...

Well it does, because your presuming people are either not using the word correctly or unable to describe their state, based on your assumption that they're stupid. So yeah...

Well it does, because your presuming people are either not using the word correctly or unable to describe their state, based on your assumption that they're stupid. So yeah...
    No, my point was that many of the "synonyms" bildo gave were inappropriate for the case of a student delaying their studies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Had an exam in Leisureland on Monday morning. Place was a f*cking freezebox. Could see my own breath in the hall. Desk was also on the stage under blindingly bright lights.

[/vent]

I've always hated having exams in Leisureland, have one there tomorrow and another next week. GMIT was just as bad when it was raining, and Merview Community Centre was godawful.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

I've always hated having exams in Leisureland, have one there tomorrow and another next week. GMIT was just as bad when it was raining, and Merview Community Centre was godawful.

I came from UL to here and was actually just thinking to myself the other day 'they don't have many big halls around here; I wonder where they have their exams?' :p

You'd think the college would have fixed that by now, I mean the UCC "lets bus everyone halfway around the city @ exam time" model is all well and good, but by god is it tit-wrecking!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement