Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

I've always hated having exams in Leisureland, have one there tomorrow and another next week. GMIT was just as bad when it was raining, and Merview Community Centre was godawful.

I think the nastiest I had was one in the morning in The Galway Bay Hotel and then the afternoon in either GMIT or the Racecourse. It was a bank holiday weekend Friday as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

constantg wrote: »
    I came from UL to here and was actually just thinking to myself the other day 'they don't have many big halls around here; I wonder where they have their exams?' :p

You'd think the college would have fixed that by now, I mean the UCC "lets bus everyone halfway around the city @ exam time" model is all well and good, but by god is it tit-wrecking!!
    At least they have the decency to provide buses :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

To anyone who just drops hardback books on their table in the library, decides to sit beside their friends just to have the craic with them or starts relentlessly fidgeting; so much that they get to the point were they kick you on the soles of your feet from across the underside of the table every 10 minutes yet don't apologise because there's a divider in-between you..... Just fuck off. I hope you all get minor injuries.

Edit: Now the cunt that is on the phone, still in her seat, having a conversation over the bloody phone. This is taking the piss, I wouldn't mind if it was a quiet "I'll ring you back", or a "hold on a second" then a brisk walk to the stairwell, but no; we'll just have a chat here, shall we??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Nailz wrote: »
    Edit: Now the cunt that is on the phone, still in her seat, having a conversation over the bloody phone. This is taking the piss, I wouldn't mind if it was a quiet "I'll ring you back", or a "hold on a second" then a brisk walk to the stairwell, but no; we'll just have a chat here, shall we??

tell her to stfu or gtfo.

tell her to stfu or gtfo.
    I did, she didn't make a scene of it, just said sorry and a "I'll call you back" to whoever she was talking to.

Although, I was thinking more along the lines of a round-house kick to the face...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Nailz wrote: »
    I did, she didn't make a scene of it, just said sorry and a "I'll call you back" to whoever she was talking to.

Although, I was thinking more along the lines of a round-house kick to the face...

Was she hot?

Ah well, she was alright I think... she was American if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The jacks in the IT building have gotten v bad. Usually need to check 3 or 4 to find one that isn't clogged or has no bog roll. They seem to only clean and check the place every couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

The loos beside th reading room are mank too. At the weekend it''s a total no go area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

foto joe wrote: »
    The jacks in the IT building have gotten v bad. Usually need to check 3 or 4 to find one that isn't clogged or has no bog roll. They seem to only clean and check the place every couple of days.
    i believe the cleaners fulfill their contractual obligations. now if only the people using the bathrooms weren't such mingers ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

i believe the cleaners fulfill their contractual obligations. now if only the people using the bathrooms weren't such mingers ...

..not in any way directed at you foto joe :D , just that when i see the condition some people leave places in, i get a tiny bit pissed off.

for example, i hate the ignorance of people who leave their trays with their half eaten meals on the table in an bialann. i just feel they are so spoilt, inconsiderate and so ignorant. there is NOTHING that can excuse it, there are signs posted literally everywhere asking you to take empty trays to the carousel.:mad:

^ yeah smokies is a mess of empty coffee cups and crisp wrappers too, you're never much further than about 3 meters from a bin in there... lazy gits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

The coffee in Smokies is rotten lately............Really bitter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

The coffee in Smokies is rotten lately............Really bitter :(

Had one there thurs....2.50 for a cup.....bit steep? normally have a travel mug so mayb id just gotten used to the prices???

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

Had one there thurs....2.50 for a cup.....bit steep? normally have a travel mug so mayb id just gotten used to the prices???

Wut? Smokeys is €2 for a latte, and €1-something for filtered coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

undergrads (one of who I mentored as a first year last year!!) using the post grad reading rooms. having full scale conversations in a room which you usually so quiet you can here a pin drop. anyone know why they are open to the public and not accessed via a swipe card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

tiger_cub wrote: »
    undergrads (one of who I mentored as a first year last year!!) using the post grad reading rooms. having full scale conversations in a room which you usually so quiet you can here a pin drop. anyone know why they are open to the public and not accessed via a swipe card?

I'd say contact the SU Education Officer or contact someone from the library about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Having exams in the week leading up to the submission date for my thesis.
    Not a fan of that

Getting lured to the college bar for dinner by their daily Facebook menu updates... to get there and find completely different dinner options on offer. hmnn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

bildo wrote: »
    Having exams in the week leading up to the submission date for my thesis.
    Not a fan of that
    Had two 2,500 word essays with a deadline the Friday prior to the beginning of exams, bad craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Getting lured to the college bar for dinner by their daily Facebook menu updates... to get there and find completely different dinner options on offer. hmnn
    This is annoying me on almost a daily basis.
    Also running out of food at 2pm is pretty poor, I like my dinner at dinner time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

That's happened to me at least twice lately. Strange... who updates their Facebook page?

Well it's not just the facebook page, the menu posters are the same. There's one within 1m of the food, and it shows completely different options! :p I was there by 2pm today and I think only 1 item from the menu (Chicken with Pasta) was on offer.

The lasagne looked suspiciously like the lasagne that was there on Friday with a fresh layer of cheese on top... still, very tasty, bolognese does improve with a couple of days!

can someone tell me what's the difference between the 2 food counters? Is one for rolls and the other for sit down dinners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

can someone tell me what's the difference between the 2 food counters? Is one for rolls and the other for sit down dinners?

The Carvery one (at the back of the bar) is for dinners. And the one at the front near the entrance is for sandwiches etc.

• Advertisement

MissMoppet wrote: »
    The Carvery one (at the back of the bar) is for dinners. And the one at the front near the entrance is for sandwiches etc.

Thanks! Where's the one for hot whiskeys? Was nearly blown off the bridges by the Cathedral today!

Also, WTF is up with the massively long login time with the campus pcs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Thanks! Where's the one for hot whiskeys? Was nearly blown off the bridges by the Cathedral today!

Also, WTF is up with the massively long login time with the campus pcs?
    Try pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete when it's logging in. Seems to get it to the desktop quicker (CosmicFrog posted that a while back). ISS were supposed to look at reducing it. I don't know what came of it tbh, i've been using my own laptop most of this year.

RolandIRL wrote: »
    Try pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete when it's logging in. Seems to get it to the desktop quicker (CosmicFrog posted that a while back). ISS were supposed to look at reducing it. I don't know what came of it tbh, i've been using my own laptop most of this year.

I'm normally the same but left it at home today, my god the epic slowness of the login in the AM building, i almost missed my meeting!!!

nothing quite like the wind getting into the ac airducts and playing havoc with them, the pg room shook for hrs this afternoon, contrasting not so nicely with the silence!!

For the last couple of hours the library staff seem to be having their Christmas party IN THE LIBRARY, they're all singing along to Christmas music and knocking back the wine.

People aren't finished exams!! No doubt getting paid too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭NuckyT

For the last couple of hours the library staff seem to be having their Christmas party IN THE LIBRARY, they're all singing along to Christmas music and knocking back the wine.

Hahaha... Love it!
    Only in NUIG! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Libocop pulled over some girls as I was walking in earlier ..and was like HEY YOU..COME HERE..and brings them over to the counter, they looked scared and confused. He hands them some "Celebrations" with a big cheesy smile...it was..like a parallel universe or something. Spooky. So festive. :|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

It makes a change from idiotic students making unnecessary noise in the library when people are trying to read and study through the year.

The staff librarian was very helpful to me the other day! I say let them have their festive cheer, tis an otherwise ****ty season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Lecturer emailing us to say that lectures for the 2nd semester of a subject are all at the same times but different venues, then proceeds to list all the lectures, every single one of which is at a different time. Quizzed them on this via email and they confirmed that yes, the lectures are all at different times - but only for the first 6 weeks of term, then it's back to the semester 1 timetable. WTF - nowhere did it say that in the original email, and also, why must you insist on chopping & changing lecture times halfway through the semester?! I have to work to support myself through college, and now they're going to be annoyed that my availability is all over the place >:(
    Also, departmental communication with each other and students is crap in this degree.

Lecturer emailing us to say that lectures for the 2nd semester of a subject are all at the same times but different venues, then proceeds to list all the lectures, every single one of which is at a different time. Quizzed them on this via email and they confirmed that yes, the lectures are all at different times - but only for the first 6 weeks of term, then it's back to the semester 1 timetable. WTF - nowhere did it say that in the original email, and also, why must you insist on chopping & changing lecture times halfway through the semester?! I have to work to support myself through college, and now they're going to be annoyed that my availability is all over the place >:(
    Also, departmental communication with each other and students is crap in this degree.

That's insane; come on name and shame the module.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

I feel for your plight, but stay strong. You'll get through this.

Communication between departments in college is generally quite poor. I sometimes sensed a superiority complex from within certain departments, but maybe that was a result of my own grievances with them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Sodding concourse locked this evening :mad:
    I came down from Donegal especially for the ChessSoc meeting and we couldn't get in. Argh. It was open this day last year. Damn recession. :(

i hate the way the you get pointless emails from the su and then the exact same email from the pub over something completely pointless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Ficheall wrote: »
    Sodding concourse locked this evening :mad:
    I came down from Donegal especially for the ChessSoc meeting and we couldn't get in. Argh. It was open this day last year. Damn recession. :(

Thats dedication, if I ever seen it.

• Advertisement

You have no idea...

edit: It had better be open this evening.

bloody library ground floor/bialann door from library reading room side locked and no notice there or outside the place. had to physically go up and check the door!! grrr

also, why was the entire college shut down today. i could get a coffee on campus at all!! the pub, smokies, everywhere was closed!!

also, why was the entire college shut down today. i could get a coffee on campus at all!! the pub, smokies, everywhere was closed!!

not enough people around to justify paying staff wages maybe?

I had to go back for the new year last year, and noticed that they had the heat turned off all over the campus. Couldn't go into the IT building either because they were doing something with the electricity there and it was closed.

The heating being off last year may have been moreso to do with the freezing temperatures last year threatening the pipes etc.

it's bloody stupid....i mean who closes a library for research students? if the AM building was open then surely the Library should be open too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Lecturers not bothering to tell us when/where lectures are :rolleyes: How hard is it to open Blackboard and send a few emails?

is the entire college back and is it now possible to get coffee on campus again? constantg does not work well minus coffee....

is the entire college back and is it now possible to get coffee on campus again? constantg does not work well minus coffee....

it is possible to get coffee/tea/hot chocolate again.

• Advertisement

it is possible to get coffee/tea/hot chocolate again.

Very nice, also good point on the expansion.....what's the hot choc like on campus?

Advertisement