Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I do my exams in the disability centre, there was four invigilators in a room with ten people last week.
    That is incredible, such a waste of resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Having spent the last few months frequenting the library and concourse, I've come to the conclusion some lads in NUIG need to relearn how to use a toilet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ConConKing

There were some terrible scenes alright in the lads bathroom down the physics doors on the concourse. That bathroom always stinks of piss as well. Not a fun place to do your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

PomBear wrote: »
    Having spent the last few months frequenting the library and concourse, I've come to the conclusion some lads in NUIG need to relearn how to use a toilet :/
    Pop on down to the IT building's bathroom, it's like some kind of horrific art installation by times. Closes for a few days every fortnight to presumably be rebuilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I'm actually fit to murder my course coordinator for inflicting me with such spastic modules!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

People studying something that isn't law taking up the seats downstairs in the library. OH FFS THERE'S LOADS UPSTAIRS AND YOU'RE GOING UPSTAIRS EVERY FIVE MINUTES FOR ANOTHER BOOK DAMMIT

People studying something that isn't law taking up the seats downstairs in the library. OH FFS THERE'S LOADS UPSTAIRS AND YOU'RE GOING UPSTAIRS EVERY FIVE MINUTES FOR ANOTHER BOOK DAMMIT

2nd floor has absolutely loads of seats free

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    2nd floor has absolutely loads of seats free

I managed to get a seat on the ground floor after people left for exams. I wasn't lugging the 7.5kg of books I need up two flights of stairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I'm really annoyed about the exam results. In the course I'm in, they insist on using snail mail for results. Ours were 'out' today, but I never got mine. Have to wait 'til Monday's mail arrives and hope it's in there.

I don't understand why, if they insist on posting results out to homes, they can't also post them online - I mean, it really is not that complicated to just do both. I think it's daft, I really do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I'm really annoyed about the exam results. In the course I'm in, they insist on using snail mail for results. Ours were 'out' today, but I never got mine. Have to wait 'til Monday's mail arrives and hope it's in there.

I don't understand why, if they insist on posting results out to homes, they can't also post them online - I mean, it really is not that complicated to just do both. I think it's daft, I really do.
    Mine were posted out 2 weeks ago and posted online today. There was an issue with ISS this morning apparently (surprise surprise).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Administration in NUIG going awry?!?! Say it aint so :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Maybe if they did more maintenance they would nt have issues :p

This repeats timetable is a nightmare. Gonna have to fork out for three nights accommodation. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

This repeats timetable is a nightmare. Gonna have to fork out for three nights accommodation. Oh well.

Crash with friends? The summer is not a cheap time to be paying for a B&B.

Crash with friends? The summer is not a cheap time to be paying for a B&B.

No friends living in Galway this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Does anybody know if your still able to get your exams rechecked?

I didn't have the money before, but I do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

Applications seem to be closed for rechecks....

http://www.nuigalway.ie/exams/appeals/rechecks.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

Just to let you know,

even if you could.....
    I don't know for sure, but I think the process is supposed to be anonymous. Anyway, I went in for the consultation where the lecturer talked to me about my paper. During the course of the conversation he made a point of saying to me "of course the option is there for you to get the paper externally examined BUT LECTURERS DO NOT LIKE TO SEE THEIR MARKS OVERTURNED".

I said to the lecturer at the time, don't worry, I am satisfied with your explanation of my (far below expected) mark, and anyway, I cannot afford to get it externally rechecked.

I changed my mind. When I came out of there I was thinking to myself that that was an inappropriate remark because my academic results should be what I place premium importance on (not my lecturers feelings). Furthermore, I came into a couple of hundred quid. So I applied to get the exam externally checked.

You have to write an explanation as to why. Mine obviously wan't convincing enough. They took my money (can't remember how much - maybe 80 / maybe 120). Anyway, they didn't uphold my reason - was charged and the exam was never sent to an extern.

THE WORST IS YET TO COME.

I had an opportunity for an internship and it is my solid belief that it hinged on the approval of aforementioned lecturer won't go into it, but I know this to be the case. (I went to every single lecture, took brilliant notes and got a first class honours degree with the university scholar award in first and second year). Anyway, said internship never materialised and well.... you get my drift.

The point I am trying to make is that even if you believe your mark is completely inaccurate, getting it externally checked could come back to bite you in the ass. It did for me.

TL;DR - Lecturers aren't zentastic - they are human and ocassionally slaves to ego, and they MAY hold it against you if you get a mark rechecked.

I guess none of us are perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

I think in general, the department will have an idea of you and if they think you deserve a certain mark they will move things around so you get that mark overall assuming you did well etc..

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Got my subject selection for next year

Fúck you NUIG

What happened Finny?

That make two of ye ****ed over

• Advertisement

Shhhhh its hugsie on the public forums :P

Second year subjects came out :/

Yeah guess how I learned that.

The toilet situation is a bit of a state atm. Half of them seem to be in the process of being rebuilt at the same time, which is a problem when half of the toilets seem to be perpetually in an unusable condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The toilet situation is a bit of a state atm. Half of them seem to be in the process of being rebuilt at the same time, which is a problem when half of the toilets seem to be perpetually in an unusable condition.

If only Your Man on the Can were still around :(
    It seems he would have plenty of interesting facilities to go on.

Basement of quad.

I used to travel quite far afield to find a clear loo that was clean enough. Old engineering building isn't too bad. Aras Na Gael, aras de brun. Any building that has fewer students in.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Anyone know if there is compensation for repeats if there was compensation for the original exams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Depends on your course. Check the marks & standards documentation

I think the majority of courses have it.

I swear to god, the people in the library who don't even have basic hygiene. The shtink!

Too busy studying to have time for a shower :pac:

The smell of desperation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I think the majority of courses have it.

I swear to god, the people in the library who don't even have basic hygiene. The shtink!

Agreed - it's fcuking outrageous sometimes

• Advertisement

Got stopped from bringing a coffee into the library this morning. Ffs, it's so early, I need it!!

Nonsense rule.

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Got stopped from bringing a coffee into the library this morning. Ffs, it's so early, I need it!!

Nonsense rule.

Hence why I only bring a bag with side pockets in. Slot the coffee into the side pocket on the right hand side, walk on in.

Hence why I only bring a bag with side pockets in. Slot the coffee into the side pocket on the right hand side, walk on in.

I sneaked it past him 2 minutes later. Stupid coffee nazi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Having a coffee in the library is harmless enough, (although I can see the reasons for disallowing it).

I just had to leave a PC suite because this inconsiderate twat went out and came back a few minutes later with a plate of curry and plonked himself back down and started munching away.

Apart from the noise he made, the stink was unbearable.

FFS, PC suites are for everyone to study in. There are enough empty seats in Smokies at the moment for those who want to eat. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

Lapin wrote: »
    Having a coffee in the library is harmless enough, (although I can see the reasons for disallowing it).

I just had to leave a PC suite because this inconsiderate twat went out and came back a few minutes later with a plate of curry and plonked himself back down and started munching away.

Apart from the noise he made, the stink was unbearable.

FFS, PC suites are for everyone to study in. There are enough empty seats in Smokies at the moment for those who want to eat. :mad:

Why didn't you say something to him? Not in a rude way but just tell him you're finding it hard with that there.

Urinal nearest the wall on the second floor of the library annoys the tits off me. It always flushes when I've just undone my belt to take a leak, and there's so much force with the water it spils out of the urinal and onto the floor. I routinely have to side step a splash onto my shoe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

Oh god people eating apples in the library - I have to leave

Oh god people eating apples in the library - I have to leave
    The sound? Honestly, if the sound of someone eating an apple is going to bother you, why on earth aren't you bringing earplugs with you?

I don't eat apples btw :D

Eogclouder wrote: »
    Why didn't you say something to him? Not in a rude way but just tell him you're finding it hard with that there.

I would have if the campus was packed and spaces were scarce but it was easier to just keep the peace and move to another near empty PC suite next door (green corridor).

Also, I had only been there for about half an hour whereras he could have been there all day. Not that that makes it right but he was probably thinking along the lines of it being his territory and there are plenty of other rooms if people don't like it.

It wouldn't happen if the place was packed and I'd like to think he wouldn't be so self indulgant if it was, so I just thought it was easier to let him at it and up sticks myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭aqn29swlgbmiu4

The sound? Honestly, if the sound of someone eating an apple is going to bother you, why on earth aren't you bringing earplugs with you?

I don't eat apples btw :D

I forgot to bring them!
    Honestly your man sounded like a horse choking

I would have if the campus was packed and spaces were scarce but it was easier to just keep the peace and move to another near empty PC suite next door (green corridor).

Also, I had only been there for about half an hour whereras he could have been there all day. Not that that makes it right but he was probably thinking along the lines of it being his territory and there are plenty of other rooms if people don't like it.

It wouldn't happen if the place was packed and I'd like to think he wouldn't be so self indulgant if it was, so I just thought it was easier to let him at it and up sticks myself.

Believe me, there are people who don't give a feck whether it's packed or not. They're hungry and that's it.

• Advertisement

Well nobody could possibly go hungry these days with all the free pizza doing the rounds.

Every fecking email I get about something going on around campus tries to hook me in with the offer of free frigging pizza.

I'm tempted to sneak into the college bar kitchen and riddle the sauce base with laxitives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Well nobody could possibly go hungry these days with all the free pizza doing the rounds.

Every fecking email I get about something going on around campus tries to hook me in with the offer of free frigging pizza.

I'm tempted to sneak into the college bar kitchen and riddle the sauce base with laxitives.
    If you don't like getting e-mails about things from societies why don't you just unsubscribe? Societies have to lure first years in some way and this, along with free refreshments are the best way to do so.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    If you don't like getting e-mails about things from societies why don't you just unsubscribe? Societies have to lure first years in some way and this, along with free refreshments are the best way to do so.

I don't mind getting the emails - I signed up for them after all.

I just don't get the obsession with friggin pizza. Its as though you're automatically supposed to salivate over the mere mention of the stuff because, well simply because you're a student and students obviously love pizza to balance to their pot noodle diets.

Could they not try and lure them with something different from time to time.

Are first years really that fickle that they'll sign any dotted line for a greasy slice of salted pie?

How about a free pint instead? I'd join any soc that offered that !

I was well impressed when the Animanga Soc promised free sushi at one of their events last year.

And it's not that easy to unsubscribe from society emails, at all, at all. Despite the "exiting new features" promised on the Socs webpage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I don't mind getting the emails - I signed up for them after all.

I just don't get the obsession with friggin pizza. Its as though you're automatically supposed to salivate over the mere mention of the stuff because, well simply because you're a student and students obviously love pizza to balance to their pot noodle diets.

Could they not try and lure them with something different from time to time.

Are first years really that fickle that they'll sign any dotted line for a greasy slice of salted pie?

How about a free pint instead? I'd join any soc that offered that !
    The free pizza thing is kind of two-fold really
    1. It does get people to events. Just because it's not your idea of something great a lot of people do like some free pizza! an
    2. Some first years might still be waiting on the grant, it's an easy way to get them over the first few weeks. Something as small as a few slices of pizza can make a huge difference to how well a first year eats at the start of the year.

A lot of societies do offer free pints, we just have to call it "refreshments" as the college has an anti-alcohol policy. For instance, I was auditor of RadioSoc last year. At every event we had alcohol after, whether it was a trip to the bar or some drinks in the college, we also had food and drink for our members. A lot of societies are the same.

Go to the su website sign in click socs and unsubscribe from them

Have you tried that?
    You don't still get emails from the societies you signed up for last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Ficheall wrote: »
    Have you tried that?
    You don't still get emails from the societies you signed up for last year?

I've done it and all the societies/clubs I have revoked membership from have ceased in sending me emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Danevin77

This college is such a joke it's actually unbelievable! Gave out like stink to the president of the college last week over the parking situation that's only worsening with less accom available and more and more commuters, who then directed me onto other relevant parking superpowers. how annoying is it that staff can park in the student car parks when we get punished for the same, when there's endless spaces free for the c**ts and then after all the emails and explanations the F**kers go and give even more spaces away this week to 'visitors' in the tennis courts. Took away yet more spaces, make the staff park and ride for a while. I'm sure convenience would be chosen over a nice big green field if the staff hadn't enough spaces. The department heads who get paid extortionate amounts of money can't count the number of students might need tutorials in a single year???, and don't start me on the system of tutorial sign up. Fighting over sheets like a bunch of rabid dogs to try and suit a simple timetable that your stuck with for the year. Pay up and shut up is the colleges motto. Only in office for an hour a week at ridiculous o clock, it really is scandalous.

Oh and before I get, 'buy a coat and get the bus' for those of us who have no choice but to commute the extra time to park and ride is the most frustrating waste of a process, I've ever seen any college like it can they not make another few car parks to f**k, it will stop people circling around like headless chickens looking to knock down walkers and cyclists, and it would take traffic off the roads earlier, ease other peoples bus commute etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Danevin77 wrote: »
    This college is such a joke it's actually unbelievable! Gave out like stink to the president of the college last week over the parking situation that's only worsening with less accom available and more and more commuters, who then directed me onto other relevant parking superpowers. how annoying is it that staff can park in the student car parks when we get punished for the same, when there's endless spaces free for the c**ts and then after all the emails and explanations the F**kers go and give even more spaces away this week to 'visitors' in the tennis courts. Took away yet more spaces, make the staff park and ride for a while. I'm sure convenience would be chosen over a nice big green field if the staff hadn't enough spaces. The department heads who get paid extortionate amounts of money can't count the number of students might need tutorials in a single year???, and don't start me on the system of tutorial sign up. Fighting over sheets like a bunch of rabid dogs to try and suit a simple timetable that your stuck with for the year. Pay up and shut up is the colleges motto. Only in office for an hour a week at ridiculous o clock, it really is scandalous.

Oh and before I get, 'buy a coat and get the bus' for those of us who have no choice but to commute the extra time to park and ride is the most frustrating waste of a process, I've ever seen any college like it can they not make another few car parks to f**k, it will stop people circling around like headless chickens looking to knock down walkers and cyclists, and it would take traffic off the roads earlier, ease other peoples bus commute etc..
    I never had a problem getting parking in Dangan and using the park and ride. As for tutorials do you not sign up through blackboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Danevin77

h2005 wrote: »
    I never had a problem getting parking in Dangan and using the park and ride. As for tutorials do you not sign up through blackboard?

The Geography department hasn't latched onto that 'modern' technology yet. You'd say something if it was first years and they hadn't finalised spaces or registrations bla bla, but for final year it's so ridiculous. I was one of the lucky ones who queued early and got a slot suitable. Others scribbling out names/fighting etc. Chaotic avoidable stuff to say the least. Then same story within the tutorial - sign up sheets for final year research questions.. None left for tutorials at end of week bla bla bla, Department have to spend a week then sorting it..

• Advertisement
Advertisement