Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

fecking 9am starts :mad: had 3 of them last semester, but now it's been bumped up to 4. lecturer was flexible for the friday one, but there was one person another time didn't suit so we had to go with 9am on friday. it used be my lie-in day, but now i've got early starts every morning (10am on monday, 9am every other day)
    feck it anyhow :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

whiteman19 wrote: »
    fecking 9am starts :mad: had 3 of them last semester, but now it's been bumped up to 4. lecturer was flexible for the friday one, but there was one person another time didn't suit so we had to go with 9am on friday. it used be my lie-in day, but now i've got early starts every morning (10am on monday, 9am every other day)

Bloody physics students...

I remember having only one 9am start in first-year. Lecturer walked in on the first 9am start of the year - "Yeah... *yawns*... this is too early." Ended up moving it to 11am. Went from the earliest start to the latest start.

Hurrah for this semester's 4pm Monday starts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

ct89 wrote: »
    1. Bialann too small especially at 1-3pm
    2. Lack of pc suite space
    3. Ditto for library
    4. SU are self-serving politicians, make no mistake
    5. G4 fúckers, the cp going type
    6. Paying for a gym we cant use unless we pay a bit more

1) It is better than it ever was with about 100 new seats. There are also plenty of other places to eat on campus if you dont like Bialann. Go to Friars or Moffetts or the College bar. The college is 10 min walk from town where you have a wealth of choices. Capitalism FTW.

2) 99% of students have laptops, so pc suites arent needed as much as they were even 5 years ago.

3) Library is empty now, it is always going to be full coming up to exams. Students are going into "study mode" a lot sooner than ever before, and that is a problem, but at least the amount of spaces for laptops (wifi connections and power sockets) have been drastically increased since I got here 4 years ago.

4) Most of the SU over the last 3 years have been friends of mine. They aren't self serving. Incompetent at times, but they mean well. They get distracted by things that don't actually matter (protests for one) and should focus on other things. Their mandate is given by the class reps. If you are a class rep you can tell them what to do. If they arent doing what you want, tell them. They are open to that kind of thing.

Or, one better, get up off your a55 and join it. Be the change you want to see instead of being an armchair politician.

5) you're always going to have twats like that. Commerce students and scum bags. At least we arent limerick or Dublin where the problems are far worse.

6) You said it yourself, "a bit more". On the whole, €250 for a years membership is a bargain compared to other gyms and the facilities are great. The €100 didn't go entirely towards the gym. There was some american dude that donating a certain amount, providing that we as students, matched it.

€100 levy/student/year for 12 years (could be 18, cant remember) matches it. It took a referendum to bring it in, and it can be gotten rid of by another referendum (I'll refer you to point 4), but the money will have to come from somewhere.

Quit your whining.

Arts student? I saw pictures of a lecture in AM250 and couldn't believe how packed it was. People sitting on the stairs all the way from the top to the bottom. Serious violation of the fire code as well, but I suppose the "sure it'll be grand" mentality applies...

I remember having that problem in first year biology. We complained at first, but then 2 weeks in to first year, kids realise that they dont have to go to lectures and suddenly everyone could have fitted into a class room.

They know that this'll happen so they don't worry about it. I heard that it was persistent this year, going on into October. For us this would only happen for an excellent lecturer, or one who refused to put stuff up on blackboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

You're in for a shock in a few years buddy...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

5) you're always going to have twats like that. Commerce students and scum bags. At least we arent limerick or Dublin where the problems are far worse.

Sorry, what's that supposed to mean?

MissMiami wrote: »
    Sorry, what's that supposed to mean?

Girls: BOPs. (Fake) blonde hair, Orange skin, pink clothes. Trying to be american or black or both when they are actually from the Ballynamiddleonowhere, Donegal. Don't consider it a good night out unless they get smashed on vodka before they go out with their gaggle of screaming girl friends.

Guys: Have a Sunday best tracksuit for going out. Wear stripped jumpers by exclusive brands that everyone could have (i.e Burberry). May go looking for fights at the end of a night out of boredom or because they think it'll impress a girl.

The above are usually (but not always) arts/commerce students. Call it experience having been in college far too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

^^^^

That description of a girl does not describe me or any one of my friends in Commerce or Arts nor anyone I know in those courses.

I think it is very ignorant to stereotype people just because of what course they do. Maybe you have a bad impression of people in those courses because you met a couple of people who act this way but it is absolutely not the norm/typical Commerce student. I have been to Cp's once in the whole time I've been in college!

Bloody physics students...

I remember having only one 9am start in first-year. Lecturer walked in on the first 9am start of the year - "Yeah... *yawns*... this is too early." Ended up moving it to 11am. Went from the earliest start to the latest start.

-_- bloody IT students...

btw are you doing methods of maths physics this semester? did you get your results for the exam? dunno if Petri has made them available.
    benjamin d wrote: »
    You're in for a shock in a few years buddy...:rolleyes:
    well excuse me, guess you didn't read the thread title...i'm bitching about life in NUIG :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

well excuse me, guess you didn't read the thread title...i'm bitching about life in NUIG :rolleyes:

Thats not life in NUIG, thats just life.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

What about the 1pm Lab eh? Shockin' early in the day, granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

benjamin d wrote: »
    Thats not life in NUIG, thats just life.:rolleyes:

Life maybe if your working and have 9am starts or are doing a different degree with 9am starts...........Whiteman only stating his gripe is that he has sooo many 9am starts..perfectly legitimate in my opinion:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Girls: BOPs. (Fake) blonde hair, Orange skin, pink clothes. Trying to be american or black or both when they are actually from the Ballynamiddleonowhere, Donegal. Don't consider it a good night out unless they get smashed on vodka before they go out with their gaggle of screaming girl friends.

Guys: Have a Sunday best tracksuit for going out. Wear stripped jumpers by exclusive brands that everyone could have (i.e Burberry). May go looking for fights at the end of a night out of boredom or because they think it'll impress a girl.

The above are usually (but not always) arts/commerce students. Call it experience having been in college far too long.

I think I'll have to side a little with MissMIami on this one. I've met many, many Commerce students over the past few years, and at least half a dozen of them have seemed to be decent people.
    As to Arts - I'm jealous I wasn't an Arts student, as I think are many others who slag them off all the time.

Neither are quite as annoying as the delusional final year Science students - and I've met quite a few - who think that what they're doing a) matters to anyone other than themselves, b) is more difficult than other courses, or c) requires any more work than any of the other courses.
    Above all they seem to feel entitled to belittle students studying other courses.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I think I'll have to side a little with MissMIami on this one. I've met many, many Commerce students over the past few years, and at least half a dozen of them have seemed to be decent people.
    As to Arts - I'm jealous I wasn't an Arts student, as I think are many others who slag them off all the time.

Neither are quite as annoying as the delusional final year Science student - and I've met quite a few - who think that what they're doing a) matters to anyone other than themselves, b) is more difficult than other courses, or c) requires any more work than any of the other courses.
    Above all they seem to feel entitled to belittle students studying other courses.

Speaking as a 3rd year science student, you've just done what you've responded in this post to disagree with...........not all science students believe a, b and c above:)

Never said they did, love...

edit: though I realise the dropped 's' may have led to some confusion. In which case - apologies.

• Advertisement

Never said they did, love...

edit: though I realise the dropped 's' may have led to some confusion. In which case - apologies.

fair enough pet:p:D

fair enough pet:p:D

So... want to go for coffee some time? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

1) It is better than it ever was with about 100 new seats. There are also plenty of other places to eat on campus if you dont like Bialann. Go to Friars or Moffetts or the College bar. The college is 10 min walk from town where you have a wealth of choices. Capitalism FTW.

That's part of the problem though and probably a significant factor in the poor services available on campus.
    2) 99% of students have laptops, so pc suites arent needed as much as they were even 5 years ago.

Lol where did you come up with that figure?

No need for that stuff.
    Quit your whining.

No need for that stuff either. Mod.

That's part of the problem though and probably a significant factor in the poor services available on campus.

Lol where did you come up with that figure?

No need for that stuff.

No need for that stuff either. Mod.

The figure was off the top of my head. I dont know anyone without a laptop or access to a computer at home. I know some people (including myself) use the computers on campus for "distraction free" work as facebook is blocked.

I'm not even going to get into you calling mods on me for something so minor. I was asking for a bit of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 muselover

Zillah wrote: »
    Are you a person of generous girth? In my experience it is only ever such individuals that have issues with being seen while eating.

I don't see what this has to do with my feeling like I'm being watched in the Bialann. :p

• Advertisement

-_- bloody IT students...

Touché :cool:
    whiteman19 wrote:
    btw are you doing methods of maths physics this semester? did you get your results for the exam? dunno if Petri has made them available.

Nope, and couldn't be happier. Anything that contains the words "maths" or "physics" is a no-go for me. Anything that contains both of those words is just asking to be failed.

Seriously, is there a more intimidating module name than "Methods of Mathematical Physics"? Really, I'm putting that out there. Fire your worst module names at me!
    What about the 1pm Lab eh? Shockin' early in the day, granted.

Likely that only 50% of the class will have to do that. I think I'm working from 12-4pm those days anyway, so the 4pm start won't actually be relevant to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

Seriously, is there a more intimidating module name than "Methods of Mathematical Physics"? Really, I'm putting that out there. Fire your worst module names at me!

Personally I don't like the look of 'EP 435, Electromagnestism and Special Relativity'. Don't think you'll have to worry about that one though.

Regarding everyone having a laptop, there's plenty of occasions where students need the software in the computer suites that they don't have access to on their laptops. And since the wireless is rubbish in certain locations the suites are necessary when looking for decent internet speeds too. And 99% having laptops....I think not..

touché yourself :P
    Nope, and couldn't be happier. Anything that contains the words "maths" or "physics" is a no-go for me. Anything that contains both of those words is just asking to be failed.

At least it wasn't theory of maths physics...then it'd be worse

Analysis. Hate that module with a fúcking passion :mad:
    ZRelation wrote: »
    Personally I don't like the look of 'EP 435, Electromagnestism and Special Relativity'. Don't think you'll have to worry about that one though.
    I might have to...:eek: i think i'll be able to do that in 4th year if i keep up with physics
    ZRelation wrote: »
    Regarding everyone having a laptop, there's plenty of occasions where students need the software in the computer suites that they don't have access to on their laptops. And since the wireless is rubbish in certain locations the suites are necessary when looking for decent internet speeds too. And 99% having laptops....I think not..
    I know loads of people who don't have laptops. also given the fact that i live about 20 mins away, means i don't want to lug in my laptop everyday just to do something i could do on the college computers more quickly as i don't have to get set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Maigh Eo

First thing on a Monday morining the Bialann has yet to surprise me! 1.90 for a bowl or natural youghurt....so I told the nice lady Id put half back....so I did and when I returned to the till she said : " Do you honestly think that is worth less than 1.90 now?? In a calm voice I replied: Do'nt worry Il put it all back, thank you.
    Really, Im begining to get totally sick of Bialann and their rip off prices:mad::mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Nobody forces you to go to the Bialann. Did you not see the price before you approached the till?
    Tesco is right across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

I dont know how the commerce ball and the enginerring ball ahvent lowered their prices when the arts ball is the biggest and best and is 10euro cheaper!! surely in these times they should be lowering their prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

hokeypokey wrote: »
    I dont know how the commerce ball and the enginerring ball ahvent lowered their prices when the arts ball is the biggest and best and is 10euro cheaper!! surely in these times they should be lowering their prices?

Commerce Ball is renowned as the best! Have a look at the queue in Aras na Mac Leinn, why would they lower the price when the demand is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

as an act if good will, the arts ball and the law ball have cut it from 60 to 50.. which is much more reasonable...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

"An act of good will" hahaha aren't ye nice
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Nobody forces you to go to the Bialann. Did you not see the price before you approached the till?
    Tesco is right across the road.
    It really is a shame that people with this sort of attitude have reached third level education.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

touché

• Advertisement

Nope, I agree with snubbleste's original statement. You should have been aware of the price before you go to the till and if you didn't like it, go else where.

The problem is that people put up with the higher prices. If everyone when to the cheapest place, for the sake of argument say Tesco, the Bialann would have to drop their prices in competition.

It is also the advantage of having 3 different catering companies on campus (SU, Campbells, and another cant remember the name)

Considering our extortionate registration fees and the entire reason we are in university, campus catering outlets should have a bit more ethical responsibility to provide value for money than an international PLC. There's only so many people that can have a 'so what? deal with it!' attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

I'm not going post hunting so I'll just paraphrase people:

"The canteen is too busy, even with its increased capacity it's still overcrowded"

"The food in the canteen is expensive and low quality, there must be quite a profit margin"

If anything this looks like they should increase the price, demand is clearly there. I agree that the quality should improve (or that quality should be introduced) but they have no incentive to do this.

(I say better food and not cheaper because even if that food cost what it was worth I wouldn't eat it if given a choice)

Edit: I should clarify my 'bitch': Canteen bad, certain standards should be mandated to prevent exploitation of monopoly.

Friends of mine (hippies, I use the term friends loosely :-P) have written to campbells/aramark asking them to guarantee things like free range only eggs and things. I have no idea whether they were ever implemented but from discussions with my 'friends' the company was always receptive to ideas. I suppose they balance these kind of demands with costs.

Like I said before, if you don't like it eat somewhere else. But due to the demand an individuals action is not going to be heard. You (or a group) need to let Campbells know what you are doing and why, otherwise it is pointless.

Friends of mine (hippies, I use the term friends loosely :-P) have written to campbells/aramark asking them to guarantee things like free range only eggs and things. I have no idea whether they were ever implemented but from discussions with my 'friends' the company was always receptive to ideas. I suppose they balance these kind of demands with costs

That has got to be the worst suggestion ever.... just what we need, the canteen justifying obscene costs with nonsense like organic produce.

I don't think anyone has much of a problem with the quality, they don't go to the Bialann expecting Michelin grade food, just some decent scran for a reasonable price.

Personally I've only ever eaten in there a few times (I can't stand being around that many students :pac:) so it doesn't affect me, but that doesn't mean it isn't an issue the college should address.

It really is a shame that people with this sort of attitude have reached third level education.

I can't tell if you're referring to snubbleste-type people, or the people snubbleste was addressing?

I can't tell if you're referring to snubbleste-type people, or the people snubbleste was addressing?
    The former. We're supposed to be producing the people who will turn this country around and make the changes so desperately needed. I can see it now, "TD tells everyone to piss off to Australia if they don't like it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

The former. We're supposed to be producing the people who will turn this country around and make the changes so desperately needed. I can see it now, "TD tells everyone to piss off to Australia if they don't like it".

From what I've seen NUIG produces...

Arts students who can't get jobs with their degrees (or various postgrads);
    Civil Engineering students who won't be finding work for the next while... (note how I didn't make a "and they can't plan roads for sh1t3" joke... damn);
    Nurses who won't have hospitals;
    Commerce students who'll be very good at writing reports, and other reports, and business analysis reports, (you get the drift) from a second floor office cubicle (the point I'm trying [and failing] to make is that they won't create jobs, they'll just go into one [if they are lucky or have some manner of postgrad]);
    Science students who can find jobs ... in other countries... ;

...in large quantities.

They've got a few courses that have small numbers in them that may do okay job-wise because they are still in kinda niche areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

In fairness to the canteen, I like the deli stuff they have. Its nicer than subway - sure the rolls are smaller, but they are cheaper. People can afford to get a toasted roll for €3.50, then get a muffin and a cup of tea from the SU shop for the same price as a footlong.

I don't really use the other facilities in the canteen though, so I can't compare.

Moffetts is a nice place to eat on most days, though some people might have problems with the €9 tag, but then that's the same price or cheaper for a dinner than a lot of places in town charge.

• Advertisement

So you're saying that instead of students having the cop on to go somewhere else if they want cheaper food, the people we should have as students today are those who want to be mammied by the college and complain to have prices reduced?*

*I've still not found whether the eateries on campus are businesses renting the premises or are hired by the college to serve students - as such I'm undecided as to whether the eateries should be working in the students' best interests or their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HotDogger

Seriously, is there a more intimidating module name than "Methods of Mathematical Physics"?

That course is easy. Since it's "methods," you're not going to be asked prove anything. Is P-dawg teaching it this year? If so, he puts comprehensive notes up on blackboard. He also tells you how to do everthing if you ask him.

AND the exam is the same every year.

HotDogger wrote: »
    That course is easy. Since it's "methods," you're not going to be asked prove anything. Is P-dawg teaching it this year? If so, he puts comprehensive notes up on blackboard. He also tells you how to do everthing if you ask him.

AND the exam is the same every year.

Indeed he is. Very helpful guy when I called up to his office. Spent two hours going through some questions with me. Couldn't praise the guy more.

Been there, done that. Didn't mean it wasn't f*ck-difficult for those of us who are mathemetically-challenged. The notion that you can do a question just by "learning off the method" is nonsense. A lot of mathematical ability was still required from me in that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gordo.sands

*I've still not found whether the eateries on campus are businesses renting the premises or are hired by the college to serve students - as such I'm undecided as to whether the eateries should be working in the students' best interests or their own.

There businesses. Campbells run the big one. Students Union run smokies and the bar. Masterchefs run coffee online and moffetts.
    Best coffee is defo coffee online. The main resterant sucks ass. Good food in the bar as well

So you're saying that instead of students having the cop on to go somewhere else if they want cheaper food, the people we should have as students today are those who want to be mammied by the college and complain to have prices reduced?*

If it's the former, questions should be asked as to why the college sold its students down the river for a quick buck instead of looking out for them.

It's not being mammied by them any more than choosing to shop in Tesco is being mammied by Tesco

There businesses. Campbells run the big one. Students Union run smokies and the bar. Masterchefs run coffee online and moffetts.
    Best coffee is defo coffee online. The main resterant sucks ass. Good food in the bar as well

what/where is coffee online?

• Advertisement

It's the place in the IT building.

http://www.nuig.mhm.ie/locations.php

If it's the former, questions should be asked as to why the college sold its students down the river for a quick buck instead of looking out for them.

The college is a business. If it can get more money from Campbell's etc for the location than another business then it'd be crazy not to take it, no? Students aren't forced to eat there. If it was that big of an issue then students would go elsewhere, or bring packed lunches even, and Campbell's would do no business and would have to either lower their prices or leave. Why would the college make extra work for themselves for lower income. (I'm not saying it's 'right' of course, but it's understandable business sense.

It's not being mammied by them any more than choosing to shop in Tesco is being mammied by Tesco

I meant being mammied by the college as opposed to the eatery. Like if, trying to stick with your analogy, people complained to the Irish government that Tesco was more expensive than Walmart (?), and asked the Irish government to tell Tesco to reduce its prices on those grounds.

thanks for the link. On the other topic, I agree with what you're saying about the college being a business to an extent, but there are different ways of doing business. Mary I has a tap/fountain for water in their canteen so you don't have to buy bottled water, we don't. And I'm pretty sure that packed lunches are not allowed in the canteen, definitely not in moffits, and since the college don't provide any non catering areas to sit and eat then by proxy packed lunches are not encouraged.

Fair point. And I'm not saying that what they're doing is right, just that it does make some sort of sense. They're not going to lose out by not looking for the students' best interests. If students won't walk across the road to Centra for cheaper grub, then they certainly won't vote with their feet by going to another University.
    There definitely should be more 'public' eating areas in the college.
    There are water fountains scattered around the college though. (Though yes, the canteen would be the logical place to have one.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HotDogger

Contact with lecturers :)
    Please feel welcome to contact either of the lecturers listed above. Do not email lecturers about course notes, problem material, information on workshops, document passwords, examination format etc. However both lecturers are most approachable...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

And I'm pretty sure that packed lunches are not allowed in the canteen, definitely not in moffits, and since the college don't provide any non catering areas to sit and eat then by proxy packed lunches are not encouraged.

Yeah. There was a thread giving out about the canteen not allowing people to eat items that weren't purchased there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement