Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Lectures during RAG Week.

I've never been one to advocate some of the carry on in Rag Week, but then again I've always just enjoyed the week without causing anyone any grief or trouble. But would some of the lecturers ever just f*** off with their "compulsory lectures" in Rag Week. I know it isn't meant to be a week's holiday, but a lot of tutors and lecturers recognise that many students just want to enjoy the week, and that a lot of us see it as the last good session before getting the head down for exams, and cancel the lectures accordingly.

However you have others who will send out emails 'reminding' you that next week's lectures are compulsory or setting work due in then just to make you show up.

I know somebody will respond to this by telling me what RAG week is "meant to be for" and that you should be going into all your lectures anyway etc and when it comes down to it, you'd be right. But realistically, a week of not going in won't do much harm (plenty people pass without attending entire semesters...) so why not just relax a bit and let students off for a week ...

edit: keeping chocolate in the fridge is for mentalists

Agree with you 100%

Our soundest lecturer (Law) gave us the week off lectures/tutorials. He said it's cause we're making good progress, but it's realistically cause he's a fcuking legend of a man. This is the same guy who happily put on extra classes for those who needed them - an absolute gentleman who is a lecturer for all the right reasons.

Now compare that with a cnut of a lecturer who has decided to give us an exam on Wednesday of RAG week :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Now compare that with a cnut of a lecturer who has decided to give us an exam on Wednesday of RAG week :eek:

That's not that unreasonable.
    You can go out drinking Weds, Thurs, Fri, Sat or Sunday.
    Actually - come to think of it - you can go out drinking any night you please, because you're a responsible adult - you don't have to go drinking just because everyone else is. Isn't that fantastic?

And since you've no Law lecture, that should give you even more time to study for the exam. Sounds reasonable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I have lectures next week, I'll go to most of them as usual. I'll spend the rest of the time in the quiet library. Looking forward to a productive week without wasters in the library.

I dont drink during rag week (or Paddys day). I dont want to be in the line to be tarred with that big brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

It's one thing to just put on regular lectures but it's a bit bloody mean to put on compulsory lectures and even an exam:eek:

Personally I'm an older student (36) and will be attending all my labs and lectures as I have done for the past 3 years but that's by my own choice.

Students are old enough to make their own choices to attend lectures or not IMO....

It's almost as bad as some lecturers refusing to put lectures onto BB until after the lecture is over to entice students out of bed....:mad:.....this drives me absolutely mental...:(

It's almost as bad as some lecturers refusing to put lectures onto BB until after the lecture is over to entice students out of bed....:mad:.....this drives me absolutely mental...:(

This is nothing short of retarded. One of our lecturers does it and it drives me mad. All it does is take away from people who do attend lectures as I find it very useful to write down my own notes next to slides to have all info organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

I've never been one to advocate some of the carry on in Rag Week, but then again I've always just enjoyed the week without causing anyone any grief or trouble. But would some of the lecturers ever just f*** off with their "compulsory lectures" in Rag Week. I know it isn't meant to be a week's holiday, but a lot of tutors and lecturers recognise that many students just want to enjoy the week, and that a lot of us see it as the last good session before getting the head down for exams, and cancel the lectures accordingly.

As I understand it, NUI has pulled support for rag week. Surely you can bring yourself to do one or two hours work per day and spend the other 22 drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

einshteen wrote: »
    As I understand it, NUI has pulled support for rag week. Surely you can bring yourself to do one or two hours work per day and spend the other 22 drinking.
    Pulled support and had 'College Week'. That's the sort of pathetic rebranding the PSNI would be proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

However you have others who will send out emails 'reminding' you that next week's lectures are compulsory or setting work due in then just to make you show up.

I know somebody will respond to this by telling me what RAG week is "meant to be for" and that you should be going into all your lectures anyway etc and when it comes down to it, you'd be right. But realistically, a week of not going in won't do much harm (plenty people pass without attending entire semesters...) so why not just relax a bit and let students off for a week ...

edit: keeping chocolate in the fridge is for mentalists

Completely agree.

I went to a number last year, but at the end of the day, it's an unofficial midterm seeing as we don't get one while exams loom from that point on and most lecturers are ok with this. most of mine are merely having revision and exam advice classes, which is sound of them.....
    Agree with you 100%

Our soundest lecturer (Law) gave us the week off lectures/tutorials. He said it's cause we're making good progress, but it's realistically cause he's a fcuking legend of a man. This is the same guy who happily put on extra classes for those who needed them - an absolute gentleman who is a lecturer for all the right reasons.

....Except for this one fúcker of a lecturer who still has a mandatory attendance this week, which I have to give a presentation in. And an assignment on top of that by Friday, made a right fecking balls of the week so it has... so I feel your pain!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

WHY OH WHY?! Do all the bathrooms in college have to stink?! I mean really! Even when they've been just cleaned, it's just gross! Surely if they were cleaned properly they wouldn't, right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

keesa wrote: »
    WHY OH WHY?! Do all the bathrooms in college have to stink?! I mean really! Even when they've been just cleaned, it's just gross! Surely if they were cleaned properly they wouldn't, right?

Hey, no-one is stopping you donning a pair of marigolds and polishing the place to your hearts content.

The ones in the AM building are particularly bad for some reason:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

snubbleste wrote: »
    Hey, no-one is stopping you donning a pair of marigolds and polishing the place to your hearts content.
    You know, I'm pretty sure someone would stop you for either insurance or health and safety reasons!

The ones in the AM building are particularly bad for some reason:(

I was in there last week just after the cleaners "cleaned" them at night. Still stank.

Probably shouldn't put this here but you know the ones on the 2nd floor? Much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Probably shouldn't put this here but you know the ones on the 2nd floor? Much better.

There's toilets on the second-floor of the Arts Millennium Building? SIN need to know about this!

Indeed there are. Just 2 though. I'd almost keep them a secret so they stay "nice"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

There's toilets on the second-floor of the Arts Millennium Building? SIN need to know about this!
    By the Siobhan McKenna, I think.

Indeed there are. Just 2 though. I'd almost keep them a secret so they stay "nice"
    Cert you'll be in there tomorrow and see "BOARDS DOT I E LOLZ" smeared across the walls with poo. Maybe even a sanitary towel stuck on instead of 'dot'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Instead of opening a new thread, a quick question: Anyone know if the Distellery Road buildings (specifically St Declans) are likely to be open this time of night? At least before ten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Fecking people in the computer suites :mad: they're not using a computer, but decide to have their own netbook/laptop out instead, taking a space tha someone else can use. i wouldn't mind but when there's 4/5 people waiting, you think you could do it in the library or somewhere else :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tkeane

It really annoys me when people constantly talk in lectures. In my english lecture yesterday, one of the girls sitting behind me was saying that she felt guilty for not going to her lecture that morning. And then she wouldn't shut up throughout the entire class. There was a constant whisper. Why do some people come to lectures only to talk? Can they not do it afterwards!

• Advertisement

Actually, maybe it's not the cleaners fault. I suppose they'd stink less if the college fixed the leaking loos.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    Fecking people in the computer suites :mad: they're not using a computer, but decide to have their own netbook/laptop out instead, taking a space tha someone else can use. i wouldn't mind but when there's 4/5 people waiting, you think you could do it in the library or somewhere else :mad:
    I do this loads, but I'm rarely there when it's busy. There's nowhere else to go. My laptop battery is goosed so can't sit in one of the coffee shops like a trendy little berk talking about my iPhone or whatever, so I need a desk and a plug. It would be nice if there was a room specifically for laptop users, with desks, computer chairs, a wifi printer, an actual working WiFi signal (seeing as some PC suites don't have one) etc. Wouldn't really cost much, just need to move around some existing equipment into an empty room.

On the occasion where I have sat using my laptop in a busy computer suite, I have been concious of it. But the alternative is I put my laptop away and log onto the computer in front... which changes nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

But the alternative is I put my laptop away and log onto the computer in front... which changes nothing.

Well, you're there longer. Because the college computers can be mind-numbingly slow.

Sometimes I use both monitors so I can go on Bebo and Facebook at the same time
    trollface-3078_preview.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Small tesco, more expensive then big tesco.

[/scrooge]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

It would be nice if there was a room specifically for laptop users, with desks, computer chairs, a wifi printer, an actual working WiFi signal (seeing as some PC suites don't have one) etc. Wouldn't really cost much, just need to move around some existing equipment into an empty room.

Their used to be, in the IT building, computer suite at the bottom floor(IT104 i think) were they had 4-5 round tables with sockets for laptop useage. good old tims that room had in first year early in the mroning getting stupid fast speeds on the new tv shows that came out that night :)

Anyone else have any dealings with the placement office, i swear to god these guys are the most idiotic useless people in the world, cant do anything right!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

[/scrooge]

Don't they have some ultra-cheap sandwich/crisps combo? Is it edible?

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Columc wrote: »
    i swear to god these guys are the most idiotic useless people in the world, cant do anything right!

+1

And for the other guys that were in my class at the time, +15 (at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

Their used to be, in the IT building, computer suite at the bottom floor(IT104 i think) were they had 4-5 round tables with sockets for laptop useage. good old tims that room had in first year early in the mroning getting stupid fast speeds on the new tv shows that came out that night :)

IT106 was a bloody great laptop area. Only place on campus I ever got work done. Damn Chemistry Department is stealing the building out from under us...

IT106 was a bloody great laptop area. Only place on campus I ever got work done. Damn Chemistry Department is stealing the building out from under us...

IT106 thats the place, ya fantastic area, always went to it when i was in eaqraly even tho I was more then likely in the carines building for my lectures!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Would be nice if we could lobby some kind of SU representative today for such things. The last time they actually have to listen to students as a whole to get votes.

Would be nice if we could lobby some kind of SU representative today for such things. The last time they actually have to listen to students as a whole to get votes.

Isnt one of the main points for the SU is to lobby the college for the students?

Anyways everyone knows that the SU is elected these days on how much free stuff they give out. Pity those lolipos/chocolate bars actualy cost you more in the long run for electing a terrible representive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

That's where I've got my office these days.:cool:

If you'll cast your mind back, a laptop area was one of the policies cooked up by a certain Education candidate from a previous year. No offence to Emmet, he's done a brilliant job, but still...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Isnt one of the main points for the SU is to lobby the college for the students?

Yep and they'll make all the right noises, but don't expect them to stick it to the man or get any sort of serious policy changes pushed through...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Don't they have some ultra-cheap sandwich/crisps combo? Is it edible?

Yeah. I love that Tesco. You get a sandwich, crisps and a drink for 2.50. The sandwich is decent. It's no O'Briens but it certainly gets the job done.

[/scrooge]
    Without giving you the big anti-capitalism shtick, consider giving your money to Wards or Davorens just down the road...

Without giving you the big anti-capitalism shtick, consider giving your money to Wards or Davorens just down the road...

Why? I'm all for supporting local business' etc. but Wards take the p1ss imho (and i'm saying this eventhough I know the owners, lovely people)

For half the price of a Ward's roll, you can get a (basic) sandwich, pack of tayto and a drink in Tesco.

Granted, Ward's rolls are much tastier, i'd only be going to Tesco if I was on a budget

Why? I'm all for supporting local business' etc. but Wards take the p1ss imho (and i'm saying this eventhough I know the owners, lovely people)

For half the price of a Ward's roll, you can get a (basic) sandwich, pack of tayto and a drink in Tesco.

Granted, Ward's rolls are much tastier, i'd only be going to Tesco if I was on a budget

Like you said, supporting local businesses. Like you also said, tastier (although I've never had a nice roll from Wards tbh).

Although if you're on a budget then obviously you have your own priorities which is fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

AFAIK it's only Bish lads from Barna who can afford to eat in Wards.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Why oh why, did nobody have a look at the exam timetables before putting us nurses on placement?? Now we have 32 hours placement a week and a **** load of essays to have handed in fairly soon while still on placement, and then we'v to start the cram for exams. All you had to do was put us n placement a week or two earlier! Sheeeesh! /rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Why oh why, did nobody have a look at the exam timetables before putting us nurses on placement?? Now we have 32 hours placement a week and a **** load of essays to have handed in fairly soon while still on placement, and then we'v to start the cram for exams. All you had to do was put us n placement a week or two earlier! Sheeeesh! /rant

complain to the exams office and the department.

I have a Ten THOUSAND word report. It's due either the 17th, the 25th OR the 28th. Blackboard has 3 dates and 2 of them are on the same set of slides. They say it's the 25th but to be submitted on the 28th? WHAT!? Is it really that hard to choose a date!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I have a Ten THOUSAND word report. It's due either the 17th, the 25th OR the 28th. Blackboard has 3 dates and 2 of them are on the same set of slides. They say it's the 25th but to be submitted on the 28th? WHAT!? Is it really that hard to choose a date!?

I have a 10,000 word report on my project due on the 25th, has to be ring bound and everything. I have to clean up my dissertation to be ready for publication by Thursday. Then I have to give presentations on them. This is normal stuff, and is expected from everyone.

Its up to you to check with the department so as to clarify the date. Use emails etc if you can't see them in person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 CAI6

Em, I think it might be up to the department not to have 3 different dates for the same thing. I think they should probably not have 2 dates 2 slides apart on one set of lecture slides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭LAVADUDE

MacBook owners asking stupid questions about if they are able to do their online assesment on their mac

• Advertisement

LAVADUDE wrote: »
    MacBook owners asking stupid questions about if they are able to do their online assesment on their mac
    Q. How do you know if someone owns an Apple product?

A. They tell you.

Q. How do you know if someone owns an Apple product?

A. They tell you.

I remember googling once on my iPhone and coming across that line:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

LAVADUDE wrote: »

TurnItIn panics when it finds out I'm using Linux. Still works though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

I hate when people on the computers in the library log on and then go away talking to their friends when there's a queue of about 10 people! Have some consideration of others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Fisher Calhoun

MissMiami wrote: »
    I hate when people on the computers in the library log on and then go away talking to their friends when there's a queue of about 10 people! Have some consideration of others!
    Simple solution there... log them out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement