Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 ton of loose salt for driveways

• 23-11-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where i could buy salt in these measures preferably in the munster area if possible, and can pick it up myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Niteadds

Check with your local council they may help you out or know of a privet retailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mattb

Niteadds wrote: »
    Check with your local council they may help you out or know of a privet retailer.

He wants salt, not hedging! :D

Just remember from last winter that some of the concils where givin salt and other grit to the country foke for gritting their roads as long as they had a way to get it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

And excessive salt on a concrete driveway is not a good idea as it will corrode

Not entirely true. A few of canadas motorways are made entirely of concrete and they are dumping salt by the ton on them and they last for years. This is a mild compared to what we get back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

whatever you do dont put salt on a concrete driveway unless your going to re concrete it again and if so give me a call:D we were doing are street this year(summer) so last christmas i salted it because eyeryone was slippping and although funny to watch :Dquite sore sore :mad:so i got rock salt and was told it wasnt as corrosive as the stuff the council use but it crumbled the hole surface off it and every week it got worse even i march you would brush a bucketfull of stone off it every week.:eek: seen were farmers used it through doors into sheds and the same happened and they tried to blame shoody workmanship bad concrete:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I think a lot of the damage happens with concrete that will have air pockets in it but concrete thats been vibrated like in roadways wouldnt have to much of a problem,i have put imprinted concrete down myself and the other half put a little bit of salt on it last year and i thought the young lad had taken a lump hammer to the top of it.
    Anyway got salt in cork and bagged it with sharp sand,not selling as fast as i would like,think people is looking at it and expecting it to be white and not brown like the sand,even though the sand is a good job I will probaply go back to the neat salt.

Advertisement