Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIRCOM minimum contract term that I didn't read

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I think that there are still a lot of people in the country that (perhaps naively) think that when someone says something to them that the person speaking is being honest and not lying directly into their face.

I very much doubt that eircom lied to the op. Its up to the op to judge wheather or not they are getting a better deal and ultimately it is up to them to choose who they want to go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I very much doubt that eircom lied to the op.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

quick question - I rang up eircom recently to switch to the ngb and basically signed up for a 12 month contract.....my Dad now wants to change to upc, I've told him he will have to pay a fee to get out of the contract.

He says he's not paying a thing.....as he never rang/wrote to them to change in the first place.

His name is on the bill

What will happed in this case?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

quick question - I rang up eircom recently to switch to the ngb and basically signed up for a 12 month contract.....my Dad now wants to change to upc, I've told him he will have to pay a fee to get out of the contract.

He says he's not paying a thing.....as he never rang/wrote to them to change in the first place.

His name is on the bill

He'll have to pay a cancellation fee.

He'll have to pay a cancellation fee.

sure that's ridiculous, I could walk into anyones house take their bill then ring up signing them up for another 12 months and they'd have to pay to get out of it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sure that's ridiculous, I could walk into anyones house take their bill then ring up signing them up for another 12 months and they'd have to pay to get out of it :confused:

What's ridiculous is thinking that someone would actually do that. Seriously if you can walk into someone's house and take a bill then you could probably take their bank statement and various ids and use that for identity theft or just steal everything in the house. Why would you bother changing their broadband package? You signed up for a new package, so it's your fault not eircoms.

Eircom agreed to a change in the contract between themselves and the bill owner without the consent of the bill owner.
    This is eircom's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

His name is on the bill

Did you have his permission to make this change? Did eircom know they weren't talking to the account holder, or did you just ring up, give an account number, and let them assume it was your dad? They should never have dealt with you in the first place, unless you pretended to be the account holder, or didn't inform them otherwise. If this is the case, then the contract would seem to be valid from their perspective.
    I could walk into anyones house take their bill then ring up signing them up for another 12 months and they'd have to pay to get out of it

It is the account holder's responsibility to protect their account information, as this is how identity theft and fraud occur. If someone calls up, and presents enough information to be considered the account holder, then eircom have no reason to believe that it's not the account holder.
    DeepBlue wrote:
    This is eircom's fault

If eircom were under the reasonable belief that they were talking to the account holder, then it's the fault of the person that fraudulently obtained this information and changed an account that they did not hold themselves.

jor el wrote: »
    If eircom were under the reasonable belief that they were talking to the account holder, then it's the fault of the person that fraudulently obtained this information and changed an account that they did not hold themselves.
    Afaik eircom pull up the account information when give the account and/or telephone number and ask are you <bill holder name>.
    Presumably Creasy_bear was asked this and said yes.
    Tbh that's a pretty flimsy way to come to a "reasonable belief" that Creasy_bear was the account holder. Surely there are better ways to do it.
    Eircom (or any other company) wouldn't tolerate weak practices like that if they were the ones losing out financially.

It would be interesting to see what happens if Greasy_bear's dad sticks to his guns and maintains that he never authorised the change to NGB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tbh that's a pretty flimsy way to come to a "reasonable belief" that Creasy_bear was the account holder. Surely there are better ways to do it.

Perhaps, but if you look at it from the point of view of actual account holders, they'd get fairly pissed off if there was an inquisition every time you had to talk to customer care. Giving the account number and phone number, and verifying the name and address on the account is reasonable information to give.
    It would be interesting to see what happens if Greasy_bear's dad sticks to his guns and maintains that he never authorised the change to NGB.

If the account holder sticks to the story that he did not authorise the payment, then the one that committed fraud on the account (Creasy_Bear) could find himself in an awful lot of trouble. If eircom wish to charge a fee for early contract termination, I think it would be best for Creasy_bear to accept this and pay it himself. That's of course if the situation is as I have assumed it to be.

If eircom were aware that they were not talking to the account holder, and that the account holder had not given permission for the requested change to be made, then they should never have accepted the order, and would be 100% at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Eircom have always asked me if I was the bill payer, more than likely asked this poster. They can't discuss anything unless its the bill payer on the phone. I would imagine that you will have to pay out the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

So OP, basically you are just having a general rant about eircom because they billed you for what you owed them. You give details of neither your previous or current deal or price differences between the two. What was the better deal you were promised and why didn't it come to fruition?

If there was a problem with the service the first thing any reasonable person would do is contact the provider to try and sort it out, not jump ship without notifying anyone about it.

You say it was your own fault and you went back to VF in haste, but eircom are to blame? Bizarre.

jor el wrote: »
    Perhaps, but if you look at it from the point of view of actual account holders, they'd get fairly pissed off if there was an inquisition every time you had to talk to customer care. Giving the account number and phone number, and verifying the name and address on the account is reasonable information to give.

If the account holder sticks to the story that he did not authorise the payment, then the one that committed fraud on the account (Creasy_Bear) could find himself in an awful lot of trouble. If eircom wish to charge a fee for early contract termination, I think it would be best for Creasy_bear to accept this and pay it himself. That's of course if the situation is as I have assumed it to be.

If eircom were aware that they were not talking to the account holder, and that the account holder had not given permission for the requested change to be made, then they should never have accepted the order, and would be 100% at fault.

tbh I can't remember if I said I was him or not. What I may have said is that I was his son but I actually pay for the broadband part of the bill.

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    So OP, basically you are just having a general rant about eircom because they billed you for what you owed them. You give details of neither your previous or current deal or price differences between the two. What was the better deal you were promised and why didn't it come to fruition?

If there was a problem with the service the first thing any reasonable person would do is contact the provider to try and sort it out, not jump ship without notifying anyone about it.

You say it was your own fault and you went back to VF in haste, but eircom are to blame? Bizarre.

i just eircom are promising things on the big print that they clearly cant deliver on. to be honest id have been better i just stayed put and not believed the eircom bulls*it in the first place. At least VF charge what they say they are going to charge. you can call me bias but im only talking from my experience with them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What's ridiculous is thinking that someone would actually do that. Seriously if you can walk into someone's house and take a bill then you could probably take their bank statement and various ids and use that for identity theft or just steal everything in the house. Why would you bother changing their broadband package? You signed up for a new package, so it's your fault not eircoms.

Whilst I can see your point unless Eircom properly verified the person calling then if they made a change to the account without doing so it would be breach of DPA.

Of course if the person calling claimed to be the bill payer and knew all the account details then thats another matter altogether.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tbh I can't remember if I said I was him or not. What I may have said is that I was his son but I actually pay for the broadband part of the bill.

Eircom don't care if monkeys pay for the mobile calls on the bill, as far as they are concerned there is a persons name on the account and that is who the account holder is.

If you believe you said you were the account holders son and they still made the change then you could stick to your guns and when push comes to shove go about requesting the call recording so that you can confirm that they didn't follow DPA.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cabaal wrote: »
    Eircom don't care if monkeys pay for the mobile calls on the bill, as far as they are concerned there is a persons name on the account and that is who the account holder is.

If you believe you said you were the account holders son and they still made the change then you could stick to your guns and when push comes to shove go about requesting the call recording so that you can confirm that they didn't follow DPA.

You could always ask if they had a recording of the call.

It seems strange that the op hasn't got a better memory of the call to Eircom? It also seems strange not to discuss such a move with parents before making such a call.

We often see isps on here criticised for being "intransigent" now we see them being criticised for apparently not being intransigent enough.

Advertisement