Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constantly get Connected: No Internet Access

Options
  • 23-11-2010 5:07pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Acer AspireOne Netbook, using Windows 7 (Starter)

When I'm in UCD, I sometimes have difficulty getting internet access through the wireless. It connects to the wireless with nearly full signal, but sometimes the symbol in the taskbar has a yellow exclamation mark over the wireless strength bars, and hovering over it shows: "WaveLAN Network. No Internet Access".

However, people around me are connecting fine, so it's not like the router isn't plugged into the ethernet.

This only happens sometimes. Sometimes restarting the netbook will solve the problem, or if the problem occurs in Chrome, opening Firefox and using it can sometimes solve it (and then it will mysteriously start working in Chrome again). More often it works in neither of them, or works in both of them.

What's interesting, is that even when it isn't working and the yellow exclamation mark symbol comes up, it can always connect to the ucd website. This makes me think that it could be a proxy problem. When I first came to UCD, I had to change the proxy settings in Firefox from "Use system Proxy Settings" to "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network" (as per UCD's instructions), and before I did this it would only connect to the UCD Network. Oddly enough Chrome didn't need any adjustment, it would connect fine.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this could be? I know it sounds very odd! I'm not connected to the same router all the time - it happens in many locations around UCD, such as the library or even the residences. 7 times out of 10, it will work but it's annoying how it sometimes won't.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Yes I did that at the start of the year, and it worked perfectly up until recently. I didn't do anything to Chrome, because Chrome seemed to work without adjustment.

Only recently has it started to act like this, and it's becoming more frequent! I have found that restarting isn't always necessary - disabling and enabling the wireless network adapter will usually sort the problem, but I have no idea why this is. If it doesn't work in Chrome, it sometimes works in Firefox (or sometimes it works in both, and other times it works in neither!)

I am using a netbook, and I usually just shut the screen when I am finished which puts the netbook into 'sleep' mode (or something similar). I have noticed that the problem occurs more frequently when I do this, than when I actually shut it down and start it up like normal.

The fact that I can access ucd websites while it 'doesn't work' makes it seem like a proxy problem, as that's what happened before I set Firefox to auto-detect proxy settings. I can even access sub-sites of UCD, like maths.ucd.ie and elearning.ucd.ie, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's a strange problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Change your Firefox proxy settings to "no proxy".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the help! It was working most of today, until earlier where it didn't work on either Chrome or Firefox. I opened Firefox, changed the settings to 'No Proxy' but it still wouldn't work (although it could still connect to www.ucd.ie).

Got it working again by disabling and enabling the wireless adapter. I would rather not to have to do this all the time, though.

Advertisement