Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

seriously good value golf

Options
  • 23-11-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

hey guys we all love our golf , , , saw a place called beechlawn golf club in offaly on donedeal advertising membership starting at 200 quid , , i rang and spoke to a guy called colin who was seriously helpful, , , they plan to do distance membership extremely cheap , , it has a 20 bay range and a lovely 9 hole course , , they are re building the course and putting in a new clubhouse so best of luck i say , , , he said they have a facebook page under beechlawn and a twitter page so i had a look and its lovely , , it will be gui affiliated and they hope to open range in jan and club in march , , , super value and i will be joining
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

seriously bad post

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

Thanks Colin

Its not great value considering its only 9 holes, quick search just there on gui site and portlaoise have 18 holes for 200, and Ballinlough Castle have it for €199, both distance memberships

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

DamienOB wrote: »
    Thanks Colin

ha ha... aren't we getting suspicious .... it could be his brother....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Moate down the road is €200 for a contributory membership as well.

I know of this place in rahan, used to be a fine spot. Idle a good while now so a lot of work needed. Best of luck to them I say

• Registered Users Posts: 45 finlayspub1

hey guys come on , , , im only giving an opinion , , , its not a bad post whyner , , i remembered it from old as well and it has a lovely driving range and its extremely mature , , , on a site of an old jesuit monastery , , , if distance membership was 125 or so it would be value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

DamienOB wrote: »
    Thanks Colin

Its not great value considering its only 9 holes, quick search just there on gui site and portlaoise have 18 holes for 200, and Ballinlough Castle have it for €199, both distance memberships

I Know one of the boys involved in it and they are going to be doing Distant memberships for €125, sounds like good value to me inc the range and a big old short game area. is 9 hole bad? Why? I grew up playing on a 9 hole track didn't do me any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

Does it really matter how 'good' the course is if you're looking at distance membership? Forgive me, but distance members don't care if there's a good driving range... all the majority are concerned about is paying as little as possible to get their ticket to play open golf and fill their back seats with prizes from proper courses around the country.

Ballinlough, Beachwood, Slievenamon... it's all the same. Crap, soulless courses that provide a means to an end for a certain demographic.

If that's your thing, fair balls, but don't give me the 'we all love golf' crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Does it really matter how 'good' the course is if you're looking at distance membership? Forgive me, but distance members don't care if there's a good driving range... all the majority are concerned about is paying as little as possible to get their ticket to play open golf and fill their back seats with prizes from proper courses around the country.

Ballinlough, Beachwood, Slievenamon... it's all the same. Crap, soulless courses that provide a means to an end for a certain demographic.

If that's your thing, fair balls, but don't give me the 'we all love golf' crap.

very unfair post:mad:,i am a distance member,play off 5,don't win anything as i don't play 1(or maybe 2) weekly club comps like some of my mates who are members
    as a result they can get their .1's back pretty sharpish
    fact is i can't afford to join as a full member,yes there are some DM bandits but all you have to do is look at the results from club comps every week in the paper to see who the real bandits are

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Jul3s

its not a bad post whyner
    I think he's referring to your comma fetish and complete lack of all other punctuation.
    A word to the wise, a post carries more credibility when presented in a traditional manner and is easy for people to read and doesn't permanently damage their eyes!.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Beaulieu

This course up in Rahan deserves our support. Colin am I right in thinking that the driving range will be open again? If so you are onto a winner.
    Best of luck with this venture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 finlayspub1

yea according to colin the range is open for jan,

me thinks mr sifter spent 20k on membership to his course and its now worth the 200 that the guys in beechlawn are charging

im only wishing the guys best of luck on the venture at a diffucult time , good to see a bit of balls from people

me thinks mr sifter spent 20k on membership to his course and its now worth the 200 that the guys in beechlawn are charging

40.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

hey guys we all love our golf , , , saw a place called beechlawn golf club in offaly on donedeal advertising membership starting at 200 quid , , i rang and spoke to a guy called colin who was seriously helpful, , , they plan to do distance membership extremely cheap , , it has a 20 bay range and a lovely 9 hole course , , they are re building the course and putting in a new clubhouse so best of luck i say , , , he said they have a facebook page under beechlawn and a twitter page so i had a look and its lovely , , it will be gui affiliated and they hope to open range in jan and club in march , , , super value and i will be joining
    hey guys come on , , , im only giving an opinion , , , its not a bad post whyner , , i remembered it from old as well and it has a lovely driving range and its extremely mature , , , on a site of an old jesuit monastery , , , if distance membership was 125 or so it would be value

Here colin man, your comma button appears to be stuck. Sort it out.

Whats a proper course man?
    And why are you always angling for an argument?
    And "that Certain demographic" that you look down upon, are entitled to play as much as any one.

neckedit wrote: »
    Whats a proper course man?

Properly run.
    And why are you always angling for an argument?

I call it as i see it. If that offends or goes against the general consensus, so be it. You know where the ignore button is if you don't like it.
    And "that Certain demographic" that you look down upon, are entitled to play as much as any one.

You mis-interpret what i said. Not when they hold false, manufactured handicaps with the purpose of cleaning up prizes from anywhere and everywhere. There are exceptions, granted. But these 'clubs' are a breeding ground for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Properly run.

I call it as i see it. If that offends or goes against the general consensus, so be it. You know where the ignore button is if you don't like it.

You mis-interpret what i said. Not when they hold false, manufactured handicaps with the purpose of cleaning up prizes from anywhere and everywhere. There are exceptions, granted. But these 'clubs' are a breeding ground for it.

Yeah, cos no one in a "proper" club minds their handicap til Captains Day/Presidents Prize/Hamper time etc etc etc etc etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Snakey

Properly run.

You genuinely believe that the vast majority of people who avail of cheap distance memberships are doing it "with the purpose of cleaning up prizes from anywhere and everywhere".?
    Of course there are a minority who abuse the handicap system (in every club), but face it these are the exceptions, not the vast majority of honest people who can't afford or don't want to pay for an expensive membership closer to home.

You see a few prizes won by people from 'improper clubs' and you assume their handicaps are "false, manufactured". These type of distance memberships are obviously going to appeal to people starting out at golf, or joining their first club after hacking around for a while paying green fees and hitting a few balls down the driving range. And guess which type of people are going to improve the most rapidly and maybe pick up a couple of prizes in their first year or two before reaching their level? Bingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Lads,

I think the main issue here is that the distance memberships offered by these clubs had been tarnished by people who never darken the door of the club and do misuse their handicap. This may be a minority but it has still happened.

There was a case a few years ago where a Wicklow Club lost 4 members, only for them to join a distance club one year later on handicaps that were 7-8 shots more than they played off the previous year. They duly entered classics and not singles hoovering up every first prize going.

Distance membership is good for the player who cannot afford club fee's and will allow him to play golf all year round, but lets not kid ourselves the bad reputation for distance memberships has been earned not thrust upon them.

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Yeah, cos no one in a "proper" club minds their handicap til Captains Day/Presidents Prize/Hamper time etc etc etc etc etc :rolleyes:

The way the handicap system is, it will never be perfect. It will always go on to some extent, but it's far more prevalent (so much so) among distance members. Such clubs, the way they are currently 'run', are a boil on the arse of Irish golf. Unless you're a member of one of course.:rolleyes:

thegen wrote: »

There was a case a few years ago where a Wicklow Club lost 4 members, only for them to join a distance club one year later on handicaps that were 7-8 shots more than they played off the previous year. They duly entered classics and not singles hoovering up every first prize going.

QUOTE]

How can they do that? Are the handicaps not transferred to the new club? And if they playyed their 3 cards or whatever for a new handicap and cheated that way how is the fact that it's a distance membership relevant? You could do that joining any club with any category of membership.

Clubs don't cheat. Categories of membership don't cheat. People cheat. And maybe some people who are going to cheat anyway find it easier to cheat off distance memberships. Ok, but we don't shut down shops because of a few shoplifters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

I thought it was the dam car you were on about

Snakey wrote: »
    shakey wrote: »

How can they do that? Are the handicaps not transferred to the new club? And if they playyed their 3 cards or whatever for a new handicap and cheated that way how is the fact that it's a distance membership relevant? You could do that joining any club with any category of membership.

Clubs don't cheat. Categories of membership don't cheat. People cheat. And maybe some people who are going to cheat anyway find it easier to cheat off distance memberships. Ok, but we don't shut down shops because of a few shoplifters.

Exactly what i've been getting at. It's fair enough country clubs taking in hundreds upon hundreds of members, IF they are going to properly monitor and administrate. In too many cases they don't though - they're just happy to take the few hundred quid off them and leave them to it.

I'll say it again, they're a breeding ground for cheating and dishonesty. I'm not saying everyone who's a member is 'at it', merely that these clubs are allowing it too happen.

Apologies Mister Sifter I was a bit worked up (for non-forum reasons!) and went OTT on an earlier post, which I have now edited. I might disagree with some of your opinions but shouldn't have resorted to insults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Exactly what i've been getting at. It's fair enough country clubs taking in hundreds upon hundreds of members, IF they are going to properly monitor and administrate. In too many cases they don't though - they're just happy to take the few hundred quid off them and leave them to it.

I'll say it again, they're a breeding ground for cheating and dishonesty. I'm not saying everyone who's a member is 'at it', merely that these clubs are allowing it too happen.

I think the above is what we are all talking about. Nail on head.

Properly run.

As I said, I know the boys behind this venture, and believe me, it will be very well run. Maybe we should support new ventures rather than tarring them all with the "crap" brush.

Heh?? I don't actually have an ignore button! I understand you "call it as you see it" how very forthright of you, but in the majority of post, that i have read, you very arguementive. (sorry for spelling)

I didn't mis-interpret anything, I read it as i see it man, and I believe it came across very snobbish and elitist.

[/I][/B]

I didn't mis-interpret anything, I read it as i see it man, and I believe it came across very snobbish and elitist.

inferiority complex? Maaaaaan.

inferiority complex? Maaaaaan.

As I said man, Always looking for the argument and having to resort slagging people off.
    Thanks for the intelligent input man .

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭uptheroyals

mr sifter i hve to agree, always looking for an arguement on something you really dont know about. breeding ground for cheating, ok , so no cheats come from "proper clubs" do we need to get into the number of irish internationals cought cheating in the last year or so..... their from proper clubs?? well you never know, they might have taken out distance membership in boyle and thats why they cheat eh?? ;) and as for the handicaps every single golf club i know has them. i personally am from meath, i've been a member of 3 golf clubs in the last 8years or so and have seen it in all 3; navan, r/t, and l&b where i'm currently a member!! take navan for example, a jockey got membership there this year, was give a handicap of 20+ to start, then went to headfort a week later and shot 45 points!! something simelar happened in bettystown this year too!!so if you think the "properly run" clubs have some dishonesty check before they give someone membership, cop on and grow up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

i think we could argue this all day

however, i think it's pretty simple,'proper members' have at least 1 singles comp per week to get their .1 back,look at the scores in the paper every week,then check out the scores in the Captains and the Presidents and you'll see what group of golf members 'look after' their hcp's the best(keep in mind a lot of the big comps played off the back sticks and always have the pins in tough positions)

i as a country member don't have the access to a singles comp every week,yes there are some around my area but i couldn't afford it,if a could i would join a club

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Is this course actually open? Was hoping to try it out next week.

Just to the OP, don't insult the fellow posters here.
    from @beechgc on twitter "hey guys , , , beechlawn gc club here, , , we are currently building a new golf course in co offaly ireland , , thoughts and advice please"

Advertisement