Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What bikes are can be driven on an M licence?

• 23-11-2010 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭

I have a full B license that automatically entitles me to an M license. I was thinking of getting a Honda 50, just to commute to and from work, but I think the little Cub might exceed the requirements set by the M license,

1. 50cc or under
    2. Max speed of 45 km/h

I have looked online and apparently the Honda 50 is capable of 80 km/h. I got the info from here, I don't think this is right. However, if it is true, what bikes/mopeds can be driven on an M licence?

I dread to think that I may have to apply for the drivers permit before the 6th of December, as the CBT of 16 lessons would be a pain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Full B doesn't entitle you to an M any more, If its marked on your licence your ok but if its not you don't have it.

M entitles you to drive any 50cc moped that hasn't had its restriction removed.

Honda 50 is not a moped.

Get an A, you would be better off with a 125cc scooter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Full B doesn't entitle you to an M any more, If its marked on your licence your ok but if its not you don't have it.

If the licence was issued before Oct 2006 then they have the M entitlement. If it's not on the licence they can order a new one with M on it without doing any tests, but there is no need to if you don't want. I've had M on and off my licences for years, at one stage I even lost W!

AFAIK if an entitlement has been off you're licence for >10 years then you loose it.

+1, except the scooter bit:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

M entitles you to drive any 50cc moped that hasn't had its restriction removed.

Is there any 50cc bikes that do not need a restriction? I get the feeling that there are none. I would think that most would exceed 45km/h. A Velosolex type of bike would be out of the question and it does 28mph, which is just slightly over 45km/h (45.06km/h).

I have had my eye on an ANF125. I rented one while on holiday, they are very much like a Honda 50. It feels like a much more modern take on it and a stronger build.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    If the license was issued before Oct 2006 then they have the M entitlement. If it's not on the license they can order a new one with M on it without doing any tests, but there is no need to if you don't want. I've had M on and off my licenses for years, at one stage I even lost W!

I do meet the 2006 requirements for an M license, although the little pink piece of paper does need updating. AFAIK, the Motor Tax office will update a license for free. I also had W on my license, I convinced a company that I was working for that it entitled me to drive their forklift truck. That was many moons ago.
    AFAIK if an entitlement has been off you're license for >10 years then you loose it.

Then you would have to resit the car test. In the case of an M license, it would be better to just apply for an A license.
    +1, except the scooter bit:D

Like I said above, I have had my eye on a 125 for commuting. My dilemma is this approaching 6th of December deadline for the A license driver permit. I have booked a theory test and I am currently doing the mock exams on the CD, the way the questions are worded is a joke. I would like to avoid the CBT of 16 lessons. I think 16 lessons is too much and would be costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sengoku wrote: »
    Is there any 50cc bikes that do not need a restriction? I get the feeling that there are none. I would think that most would exceed 45km/h. A Velosolex type of bike would be out of the question and it does 28mph, which is just slightly over 45km/h (45.06km/h).

You need to buy a Moped which will be a restricted scooter, unfortunately most bike shops here don't understand that and think any any 50cc scooter is a moped. AFAIK most 50cc bikes can be restricted to M, but you'd need to get better info to be safe

I do meet the 2006 requirements for an M license, although the little pink piece of paper does need updating. AFAIK, the Motor Tax office will update a license for free. I also had W on my license, I convinced a company that I was working for that it entitled me to drive their forklift truck. That was many moons ago.
    The W licence does allow you to drive a forklift as it's a works vehicle, it's just the Health and Safety brigade who've made you do a class to drive one for a living.
    Then you would have to resit the car test. In the case of an M license, it would be better to just apply for an A license.

You can't redo the car test as the M is no longer part of the B licence. What I was meant was that if your licence has expired by more then 10 years you loose it and need to start over again, so I'd assume an entitlement is the same.
    Like I said above, I have had my eye on a 125 for commuting. My dilemma is this approaching 6th of December deadline for the A license driver permit. I have booked a theory test and I am currently doing the mock exams on the CD, the way the questions are worded is a joke. I would like to avoid the CBT of 16 lessons. I think 16 lessons is too much and would be costly.

Good luck on the theory test and get the application in as soon as you pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

You need to buy a Moped which will be a restricted scooter, unfortunately most bike shops here don't understand that and think any any 50cc scooter is a moped. AFAIK most 50cc bikes can be restricted to M, but you'd need to get better info to be safe

Thanks for all your help Del2005, it's much appreciated. Hopefully I can pass this Theory Test and get a Learners Permit, I'm booked in for Fri 3rd of Dec. Last week there were plenty of spaces in Dublin for the Theory Test, now there is only one space left in Dublin North. I guess every one is trying to beat the 6th Dec deadline at the last minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement