Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Tyres in Castlebar/Swineford?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

anybody know where the best place to buy a set of tyres in the above place at all?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sean Canny tires is good, head out the Breaffy road, past the roundabout, before you come to Breaffy house you will see a sign on the right hand side pointing up a road to your right.

He is up there about 1 mile. Small operation but I have used him now for about 3 years and can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

+1 for Sean Canny. Best in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

John Lally in Snugboro gets all my business and is usually very competitive on price. PM me if you want his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Cheers for all the replies, Popped in to Sean Canney on the way back from work, very competitive indeed, 50 or so euro for a tyer 70e+ anywhere else.

I'll take that!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Anzac_11

Great post... was just looking for tires around Castlebar and saw this post. Will save about E20 doing it. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Just came back from Sean Canny. What a nice man. Not only did I get all my tyres for E57 each, but that included fitting and recycling of the old ones as well. No nonsense, just great prices, quality tyres and friendly service.

Thanks for the tip. Will use this guy any time again. He even buffed out the scratches on my car from my little accident on Tuesday. :)

He's on Cottage Road, Breaffy, Castlebar, Co. Mayo - just 1 mile after the turnoff to the right before you come to Breaffy house. Signposted. His phone number is 094 <PM for number, mod>. Thanks for the great service Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dicknorris

Need a set of tyres, €57 seems cheap for a tyre are they good quality i do a lot of travelling so need a good set the last tyre I got cost €130

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Do a search for micheal Duffy Tires in Culmore, Swinford, we got a change of tires there last summer, much cheaper than the most..

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Anzac_11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the great service Sean.
    Another big +1 for Sean. Super value and always a pleasure to deal with.
    dicknorris wrote: »
    Need a set of tyres, €57 seems cheap for a tyre are they good quality i do a lot of travelling so need a good set the last tyre I got cost €130
    Can't say I'm too well up on the technical side of tyres tbh, but any I've gotten in the past have been every bit as good as any I've had from elsewhere (and paid significantly more for). I'd assume he'd be as competitive on the 'upper end' of the scale (assuming they are a high spec tyre and not just an inflated price) as he is on the 'bog standard' tyres I'd be throwing on, so probably worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TopCat01

Hi All,

got a great laugh when I got home one evening and my dad asked me did I know of a site call "bricks.ie or something like that". He then when on to say a customer had come out to him looking for tyres after he was recommended to them on some website. I then put 2+2 together and realised he meant boards.ie :)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments. My dad, Sean Canny, was chuffed to hear such nice things been said. He's just one of these hard work old fashioned mechanics who would probably loose sleep if he though he had over charged someone (but I would say that :))

He's pretty much completely computer illiterate (bricks.ie??), but based on the above thread I'm considering putting together a basic website where he can put up some prices etc.

Just to give a bit of guidance in the meantime, all I can say about the prices is that the are very competitive, I do think you'll struggle to find better (including the some of the bigger fitters I don't car to mention. I've rang them up to compare sometimes and have been shocked.). And as previously mentioned, the balancing, recycling etc is included. He doesn't do sales prices or anything like that, he just keeps it simple with as low a price as he can.

As for the quality, that will be down to the brand you choose, simple as that. Some have better grip, some last longer, depends on what you're after really and your budget. I won't pretend to know which is which, but he'll be able to guide you on this, and there's generally a good selection for any given make/model of car. (Or you can just do what what I do and ask him what he has on his own car!)

I'll keep an eye on this thread and I'll do my best to answer any questions that might be thrown up. But if you want to contact him directly, his number is mentioned above.

Thanks again. Almost all his work is through word of mouth, so delighted to see the internet has done its part too.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm ok with the above post as it's not promoting the business per se.
    And yeah, a website with basic info on tyres, fitting etc would be great.
    Maybe something like http://cloonbootyres.com

Also, remember than buying online and having tyres shipped to your door is an option.
    I always get Uniroyal Rainexpert online at eiretyres or camskill and they are usually about 65 per tyre delivered at my home.

Agreed, I have used camskill for getting parts for an FTO (difficult to get in Ireland), and have found them great to deal with. And also heard good things about their tyre prices, especially more unusual things like track day tyres.

One thing I am cautious about is people saying I got tyres for "x-amount", when its completely out of context. Its a bit like telling someone you bought a car for €10k and not knowing the make or model, it could mean anything. €70 might get you a great tyre for a Fiesta being driven by a granny for example, but what kind of tyre can you imagine you'd get for a Range Rover for the same money?

On a personal note, I would also recommend never going for the cheapest option. At the end of the day, if something does happen on the road, its literally the only thing keeping you in contact with it. People aren't nearly as quick to buy cheap brakes! (and rightly so). You don't need to go too expensive, but its just not worth skimping on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

biko wrote: »
    I'm ok with the above post as it's not promoting the business per se.
    And yeah, a website with basic info on tyres, fitting etc would be great.
    Maybe something like http://cloonbootyres.com

Also, remember than buying online and having tyres shipped to your door is an option.
    I always get Uniroyal Rainexpert online at eiretyres or camskill and they are usually about 65 per tyre delivered at my home.

Is it ok to have your website adress in your signature? I think i've seen other posters do this, or i might be thinking of another fourm.

Yes, a subtle link is usually ok. If it looks like a big ad it will be removed but we allow posters that give a lot of time and advise to the forums to use the sig somewhat to promote themselves, at the discretion of the Admins.
    You can find the rules here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1354
    If anyone has other questions not directly referring to this topic you can PM or just ask in the Newbies or Feedback forums under Sys category.

TopCat01 wrote: »
    Hi All,

got a great laugh when I got home one evening and my dad asked me did I know of a site call "bricks.ie or something like that". He then when on to say a customer had come out to him looking for tyres after he was recommended to them on some website. I then put 2+2 together and realised he meant boards.ie :)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments. My dad, Sean Canny, was chuffed to hear such nice things been said. He's just one of these hard work old fashioned mechanics who would probably loose sleep if he though he had over charged someone (but I would say that :))

He's pretty much completely computer illiterate (bricks.ie??), but based on the above thread I'm considering putting together a basic website where he can put up some prices etc.

Just to give a bit of guidance in the meantime, all I can say about the prices is that the are very competitive, I do think you'll struggle to find better (including the some of the bigger fitters I don't car to mention. I've rang them up to compare sometimes and have been shocked.). And as previously mentioned, the balancing, recycling etc is included. He doesn't do sales prices or anything like that, he just keeps it simple with as low a price as he can.

As for the quality, that will be down to the brand you choose, simple as that. Some have better grip, some last longer, depends on what you're after really and your budget. I won't pretend to know which is which, but he'll be able to guide you on this, and there's generally a good selection for any given make/model of car. (Or you can just do what what I do and ask him what he has on his own car!)

I'll keep an eye on this thread and I'll do my best to answer any questions that might be thrown up. But if you want to contact him directly, his number is mentioned above.

Thanks again. Almost all his work is through word of mouth, so delighted to see the internet has done its part too.

Cheers

Hi TopCat...

LOL... I really had to laugh when I read this. Actually the customer was not a he, but a she. :) I'm the one that told him about the comments on 'Bricks.ie'...lol. Must be my South African accent.

It was a great pleasure dealing with your Dad. He not only changed all my tyres but also buffed out a scratch I had on my car after hitting a wooden pole during the Big Freeze. The tyres are great, the price good for my budget and the service highly recommended.

Say thanks to your dad and if he ever wants to learn about 'Basic Computers' and things like 'Bricks.ie', I give private lessons. :)

Take care and be happy.

Celia :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Was out there myself with him to change over a tire onto another alloy

A sound lad! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I know my good tyre-men:D Have been going to him for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

+1 for Sean Cannon

two good firestone tyres for a Octavia saved a good few euros

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

got 4 new tyres off sean a few weeks week for my transporter for work, no problem at all fitting them and price included disposal of old ones,
    Would highly recommend Sean canny tyres and will be back again. great prices too, thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Arius007

mayotom wrote: »
    Do a search for micheal Duffy Tires in Culmore, Swinford, we got a change of tires there last summer, much cheaper than the most..

You won't beat Duffy's service either - and they do evenings and Saturdays.
    Located on the old road between Swinford and Charlestown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Greenview

+1 for Sean Canney

After reading about him here, I went to Sean in Castlebar. What a surprise, but the guy that came out to help me, I recognised from 30yrs ago, when I was working the petrol pumps in the Lone Star opposite the Welcome inn and he was the mechanic there.

Sean is a very pleasant gent to deal with. Very professional in his work and at prices that I could not come close to in Galway.

Happy to recommend Sean.

John/Olive.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 The Predator

Does Sean do wheel alignment as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Swineford? Where the hell is that? :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinford
    Swinford, historically called Swineford (Irish: Béal Átha na Muice, meaning "ford-mouth of the swine")

biko wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinford
    Swinford, historically called Swineford (Irish: Béal Átha na Muice, meaning "ford-mouth of the swine")

pffft. wiki reference my eye.

As one born and raised in the old place, I would profer that it is more often traditionally referred to as 'Swinsford' as opposed to 'Swineford', especially by supporters of opposition GAA teams.
    In fact an old english teacher of mine maintained that there was no link whatsoever between the English and the Irish names for the town.

Don't know where to get decent tyres though...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Pete M. wrote: »
    In fact an old english teacher of mine maintained that there was no link whatsoever between the English and the Irish names for the town.
    That's a pretty bizarre assertion.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's a pretty bizarre assertion.

Aye. For sure. And I believed him. Ambrose...

Does Sean do wheel alignment as well?

I asked him about the alignment at the weekend. He does front wheel alignment, but not the 4-wheel laser alignment.

I don't think he charges for this or for balancing of tyres, but I can check to confirm if you need a solid answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭niallofthenine

+ 1 for sean canny, very decent guy, quick fit and cheap! just got 2 new tyres off him there,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Another happy customer of Sean Canny.
    Went there few days ago with my winter tyres to fit.
    €50 quid for fitting 4 tyres, balancing and 4 new valves.

Before I was trying different places to fit tyres, and always encountered problems. In one place near Westport I was coming back there to balance them 3 times, as he couldn't get them right.

After visit to Sean I went for a little drive from Castlebar towards Charlestown o N5 in the evening to see if they are properly balanced and not vibrating. I checked at all all possible speeds and car drives perfectly straight.
    Generally very nice and professional service from Sean.

Advertisement