Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of pomeranian

• 23-11-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm thinking about getting a Pomeranian and I was wondering can anyone tell me how much does it cost to keep a pomeranian. Considering the state of the country and with more cuts coming, I dont want to get one and then realise I cant afford to keep it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Pet insurance can help with unexpected medical costs but it can be around 180-200 ish. allianz.ie do it.
    Buying the dog will cost you would you not consider a rescue dog?
    Vaccinations etc then costs depends on the vet costs vary hugely from vet to vet.
    Food should be high quality but would cost around 7 euro a week.
    But pet insurance only covers bills over €70.00

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

Pomeranians are beautiful lovely dogs..
    The costs involved are
    first of all their full set of injections, can be pricey with a vet but perhaps you could go to a blue cross instead, they are very good!
    Get the dog chipped there also..
    They will eat dry dog nuts after about 4/5 months, if you get the 15kg bag it works out cheaper and lasts for a while..
    Pomeranians are fussy eaters in my experience so bear with your little dog with the dog nuts..
    Other costs are dog grooming, Poms have ALOT of hair and need to be groomed daily, making sure you get a brush that will get right down to the undercoat.. So invest in a great grooming kit and get them properly groomed with a professional twice a year..
    Also make sure to check for lumps and bumps on your dog too and also get them their vaccine once a year with the vet..
    They also can suffer from arthritis in later years and need tablets for that but not until they are about 9..

I wish you many years of joy with your Pomeranian..
    Our one was the most beautiful teddybear you could ever come across and I miss him terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kimberely biscuits

thanks guys, that was a great help. gives me something to think about:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 neila13

As with any pet you get, you cant predict what and how much costs will be involved. in general when you get a pup at 8-14 weeks ( not younger then that)
    the pup should have already got all the shots up to date ( if you get a pup from responsible breeder), if not, that will cost you anything between 80-100 euro. Food costs are not high for pom, they eat very little. You should consult with your vet about the best diet for your pup. In general it will cost you 50-70 cents per day. Then you probably will need a bed for pup (anything from 20-80 euro) plus a lead and a collar adding another 20 euro. And then you have to be ready to spend a lot of money if your pup becomes ill or hurts himself. My cat got hit by car and broke his 2 legs, our bill came to 500 euro. So my advice would be getting your pet insured ( around 5 euro a month). Hope this helped :)
    And hope you make the right choices.

A proud owner of 2 beautiful Pomeranians :)

Advertisement