Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation/shelving for a shed?

• 23-11-2010 7:50pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I've just gotten a new shed and am looking into insulating it. I was thinking of getting the rolls of insulation in the likes of b and q, and halving the depth of them to fit in the panels of the shed, then covering this with ply?

For shelving I was going to use ply as well.

Anyone got any thoughts/info?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Definatly a good idea if you will be doing any work from your shed. If you go for the insulation make sure that you get something to put on to the bare wood to repel moisture form building up in the insulation. It is possible to get insulation which is already wrapped in a metalic cover. Will you be putting electricity in? If so you could simply put in heater.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's just a wooden shed, and will be used mainly for storing garden stuff, plus overflow from the house (clothes/books etc) and the reason for putting in the insulation is to keep it as damp free as possible.

When you talk about putting something on the bare wood to repel moisture building up is this a treatment/preservative of some sort that I can pick up in a diy shop?

Thanks again

Hello, what im talking about is a vapour barrier, its probably overkill if your shed is already pretreated, but I go mad and make sure that its all good. Basically its a polythene sheet that you can cut to size to suit, it should keep any moisture from penetrating your shed wall, especially if you intend on putting insulation tight to the wooden panels. Check out your local builders yard, B&Q might be able to help.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks, found what you mean
    http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=vapour+barrier&x=19&y=18

Will check that and the insulated boards out tomorrow :)

Thanks again!

Thats the stuff. good luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement