Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help looking after a stray dog

• 23-11-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

We picked up a wandering dog on the road today, he's a collie (surprise surprise), checked with all the local farmers, noone missing him, really sweet dog but we can't keep him as my dog & cat are not happy at all, he's an un-neutered male, we have a crate in the kitchen but he won't settle in there, I fed him there, kept the door open etc etc but he doesn't want to go in and when I put him in he just whines if I leave the room, took him into the front room with my dog like our normal evening routine and he won't settle in there either, I'm thinking he's not used to being inside and it's too warm for him (the fire was roaring away), he's not lying on the kitchen floor next to me just whining. I've walked him, given him a little food, not too much, watered him, just don't know what to do with him to make him calm and settled, he's such a sweetie just seems so lost and confused. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

call the dogs trust they do not put animals down and will find a good home for him or put a pic up in the rehoming tread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Dogs Trust will not take in a dog that's been found wandering. He will have to do his pound time first.

OP, try over on http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/

Sounds like he's missing someone though so report him found to the warden and the Gardai. Put up posters and notices on lost and found sites and get him to the vet to be scanned for a chip.

Regards calming him, maybe a little rescue remedy in his water. He will settle eventually but it's all new for him, just get him into a little routine asap so he knows what to expect and try not to reinforce the worried behaviour. Poor boy, hope someone is looking for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Hey, thanks guys. He was quite settled during the night, only a few whimpers & barks, but other than that fine and he was very clean in the crate. Took him out with my lad this morning and he did all his toilets, gave him a nice feed for his brekkie and back in the crate, husband is going to take him to the farm with him today and will have to tie him in the yard till hometime. I will get him to the vets as soon as I can to see if he is chipped but I honestly feel in my bones that he was dumped. I have put up notices in Lost & Found on the iSPCA website and on here, am going to do up posters for the local shops etc, report to the guards but I don't hold out much hope. I actually do some work for a rescue, it's just that they are overrun with collies already, but we really can't keep him, we just can't afford another dog, we will hold onto him for now though, I think you're right about the routine and letting him settle, will just have to be patient. Not sure the cat will be too impressed with us though, she's already refusing to eat or come downstairs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

dogs trust took dogs that were found and brought into the vet clinic i work so theres not harm in trying

Advertisement