Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom downlighter ok for outdoor use?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 8:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone telll me if this bathroom/shower down lighter fixture would be ok for outdoor use??

I want to replace the downlights outside down the over hang at the side of my house,as the electrician put in normal indoor ones and they are rusting allready)after only 6 months).Also they are letting in a cold draught as they are not a sealed type.

So Im just wondering if this Robus shower downlighter will be ok to use.

The fixture would be in a ceiling,but its outdoor,but wouldnt come in contact with rain or water.
    Would die cast aluminium rust?

Or can anyone show me a downlighter that is sealed and suitable for outdoor ceiling use that will take a GU 10 bulb??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.falkslighting.ie/Bathroom_Downlight_1x50W_12V_DD1041004.aspx
    says suitable for soffits/facias
    you can also get plastic downlights that wont rust/tarnish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

meercat wrote: »
    http://www.falkslighting.ie/Bathroom_Downlight_1x50W_12V_DD1041004.aspx
    says suitable for soffits/facias
    you can also get plastic downlights that wont rust/tarnish

Thanks,wonder do they do it in a GU10 fitment though?:confused:

The Robus shower light also says IP65 rated,but Im wondering if the actual surface would be ok and not rust up with regards the outdoors and the elements??

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

you should use pvc downlighters for outdoor. they come in gu-10 and low voltage and are available in directional. white, brown and black are the most popular colours and sgd to their version with 3 interchangable rings to suit the colour of most soffets.

you should use pvc downlighters for outdoor. they come in gu-10 and low voltage and are available in directional. white, brown and black are the most popular colours and sgd to their version with 3 interchangable rings to suit the colour of most soffets.

I have 4 of them here but they are not a sealed unit,and let in moisture,cold and also draughts.

Made by a company called Eclipse

I would prefer to have a sealed type,like the bathroom/shower fitings above.

Above the light fitings and overhang is a bedroom,so i dont want any cold draughts comming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Advertisement

eclipse are sgd brand.
    i understand where your comming from in relation to the draught ect. in most cases the soffets where pvc d/l are fitted have draughts anyway and as regards water ingress, this is usually not a problem because of the overhang.
    everytime ive seen pressed or cast d/l fitted externally they have corroded, inc the drop glass version pictured in the previous post.
    maybe an option is to fit the gu-10 version with led lamps and pack insulation arround the fitting to stop the draught.

just on a similar subject......i currently have the drop glass type installed in my porch, they are starting to corode and getting the glass out to change the lamp is a nightmare. ill be changing them shortly :)

eclipse are sgd brand.
    i understand where your comming from in relation to the draught ect. in most cases the soffets where pvc d/l are fitted have draughts anyway and as regards water ingress, this is usually not a problem because of the overhang.
    everytime ive seen pressed or cast d/l fitted externally they have corroded, inc the drop glass version pictured in the previous post.
    maybe an option is to fit the gu-10 version with led lamps and pack insulation arround the fitting to stop the draught.

just on a similar subject......i currently have the drop glass type installed in my porch, they are starting to corode and getting the glass out to change the lamp is a nightmare. ill be changing them shortly :)

Theres a bedroom above where the lights are in the overhang.so thats why Im so concerned about draughts..

I have lots of GU10 LED,s (as you know).;)

Can I pack insulation right up close to the plastic box and also the GU10 fitting itself,if I use LED bulbs???

See pic attached.

the eclipse fitting you have is enclosed afaik, providing the led dont get too hot, which i dont think they do then i couldnt see a problem with insulating around them. if you were worried about the posibilty of the fitting overheating you could put a fire hood over it and insulate around that.

Advertisement