Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Law

Options
  • 23-11-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

Currently in 6th year and hoping to go to UCD Law next year. Just wondering what advantages does it have over others (Trinity or UCC Law schools etc.) and does anyone have any opinions on the school in general?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

Don't know about other institutions but a word of warning: Only choose law if it is something you are really interested in i.e. you have researched
    the course and it's contents thoroughly. I failed to do this and dropped out of UCD after a few weeks because i found law mind-numbingly boring. I'm not saying it's a bad course ( because some people love it) but just be sure you know what you are getting yourself into. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Law is way better in Trinity but you'd want to be clocking up 550 points for it, otherwise UCD is your best choice.

Also, yes you will find it boring at first, everyone in college goes through that, and unless you really really despise it then you'd better stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Law is fantastic as you can do **** all work and get through it with good grades. Hardly any lectures means plenty of time to entertain a social life.
    A passion for making a positive difference to humanity in a meaningful way are what drove me to law. The law is an aspect of life that provides for people to live the most comfortable and fulfilling lives possible. Without it, there would be chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Yeah, 2 weeks cramming + 0 lecture attendance = solid 2.1 for any half-intelligent person :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

Law is fantastic as you can do **** all work and get through it with good grades. Hardly any lectures means plenty of time to entertain a social life.
    A passion for making a positive difference to humanity in a meaningful way are what drove me to law. The law is an aspect of life that provides for people to live the most comfortable and fulfilling lives possible. Without it, there would be chaos

We all know that Hennessey out of Ross o carrol Kelly book drove you to law;)
    And we also know your as crocked as him too, So pls done fill the Op with bullsh*T, when all he/she has to do is look at a newspaper to see what your kind has done to our country:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

And we also know your as crocked as him too, So pls done fill the Op with bullsh*T, when all he/she has to do is look at a newspaper to see what your kind has done to our country:rolleyes:
    Dublin4Life banned for dragging another forums arguments into this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Law is way better in Trinity but you'd want to be clocking up 550 points for it, otherwise UCD is your best choice.

Also, yes you will find it boring at first, everyone in college goes through that, and unless you really really despise it then you'd better stick with it.

Ha I think you'll find you're wrong here.

Meow Catwoman! Great-great-great-grandad Winston was always seen as somewhat of a pioneer of fair working conditions for the ladies on his cocoa plantation. Grand-uncle Winston was a thorn in the side of the authorities when he used to deliver relatively light sentences for criminals. My own father, the late Cornellius Thornton J Winston himself ensured the workers in his mine did not work for more than 60 hours in a week.
    So you see it is in our genes to look after those around us for whom we undertake responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Yeah, 2 weeks cramming + 0 lecture attendance = solid 2.1 for any half-intelligent person :D

Do you even know what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

unknown13 wrote: »

I doubt that he does, but he's not too far off on the cramming side of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

LC2011 wrote: »
    Hi,

Currently in 6th year and hoping to go to UCD Law next year. Just wondering what advantages does it have over others (Trinity or UCC Law schools etc.) and does anyone have any opinions on the school in general?

Thanks.

Hey man, currently a second year pure law student so I will try and give you some of the knowledge I have going on.

Law in UCD is atleast an equal course to trinity and superior to UCC, and anyone who knows boards and I well enough will know I am eating my own words here from before I entered law.

You can actually see this when you look at the percentage of Supreme and High Court judges that come from UCD. (Not to mention the % of the cabinet but lets not discuss that).

The UCD lecturers are all chosen for their lecturing ability, and all have a fantastic ability to impart knowledge, if you choose to go down the academic path you will find it incredibly easy to learn in UCD. The tutorial groups are meant to be about 20 people but realistically are between 8 and 12, and the tutors are all pretty good. In second year and throughout the rest you'll begin to do some mock trial work in tutorials as well.

If you decide (like me and some others) that you learn better yourself, UCD law will gift you with the ultimate support. All of the notes for all of the lectures are available through blackboard, which is something I would say is almost unique to Law in UCD. Beware that although a smart student will achieve a high grade through this lazy method, they will never achieve the highest grade.

One of the reasons why UCD Law produces such a high calibre of barrister is because of UCD Lawsoc (I am not doing my standard plug here) Lawsoc enables law students to enter two moot court competitions in the first semester, and another one in the second semester, giving UCD students the best possible opportunity to practice advocacy. According to friends the difference this makes is noticeable once you reach the Kings Inns.

If you have any further questions, please pm me. I'd be too happy to help.

unknown13 wrote: »
    It's more like 3 and a half weeks cramming from my 4 years of experience

Advertisement