Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Daemos wrote: »
    Oh please, ignore the rest of my post. Question my mathematics instead :rolleyes:

Last time I checked, 94 minus 93 wasn't 50

i'm not questioning your maths when i said 50% a second time. my point is thats a ridiculous score

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Too true. Yes his review comes across as nitpicking at perceived flaws he sees with the game, such as the controls coming across as archaic, but if thats the worst he can come up with then its still a stellar game.

I'd rather find a review that can come up with criticisms rather than those that go down the hyperbole route proclaiming the game to be the 'best of all time' as the previous can make a developer look for improvements while the latter may allow them to rest on their laurels and stick with the same ol' same ol' without seeking improvements.

i agree, but nitpicking and then go and give it a C?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

mystic86 wrote: »
    i'm not questioning your maths when i said 50% a second time. my point is thats a ridiculous score
    My mistake. I though you were just cr4p at maths. Now I see you just choose to ignore anyone's opinion that you don't like
    that reviewer is just a traffic seeking joke
    Oh the irony

My mistake. I though you were just cr4p at maths. Now I see you just choose to ignore anyone's opinion that you don't likeOh the irony

where is the irony and what is your problem with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I won't reply to that, because I was taught if you can't say something nice, don't say it. Trust me, it's for the better

• Advertisement

I won't reply to that, because I was taught if you can't say something nice, don't say it. Trust me, it's for the better

wow, ur some guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

According to metacritic a site called a.v club gave uncharted 5/10 , alod of bollox

According to metacritic a site called a.v club gave uncharted 5/10 , alod of bollox

indeed!

i have no problem with critics giving negative feedback when it is deserved, but where is the sense of perspective????

they are just looking for traffic for their website imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Can't please everyone... was never gonna be my game of the year but 50% is pretty harsh for what is no doubt a great game, especially for someone whos job is to review games, and who gave apparently gave UC2 an A rating. Like someone said.. smells of traffic whoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Magill wrote: »
    Can't please everyone... was never gonna be my game of the year but 50% is pretty harsh for what is no doubt a great game, especially for someone whos job is to review games, and who gave apparently gave UC2 an A rating. Like someone said.. smells of traffic whoring.

Who gave it 50%?

• Advertisement

Magill wrote: »

I also noticed they gave uncharted 1 a better review than uncharted 3:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/uncharted-drakes-fortune,7347/

Who gave it 50%?

http://origin.avclub.com/articles/uncharted-3-drakes-deception,64220/

equates to 50% on metacritic

Holy troll review.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I should point out that the AV Club is probably amongst the most reliable, respected pop-cultural sites on the Internet. When it comes to TV and Film anyway. And sex-advice columns.

However their gaming section is in its infancy, and has been known to be a wee bit on the inconsistent side.

And while I am unlikely to agree with the review, I think it's important to have dissenting voices in games journalism. Universal acclaim is one of the most bizarre aspects of game reviewing that will never allow it to mature. Find me a film that doesn't enjoy at least one vitriolic critic and I'll be impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RufustheKing

heres my first post. Can't wait for UC3 but i loved UC1 more than UC2. the story was way better in my view. the action set pieces of UC2 were brill but nothing like a good story. :) Ordered UC3 explorers Edition from gamestop and i hope it would be here today but i have to wait and see :(

I should point out that the AV Club is probably amongst the most reliable, respected pop-cultural sites on the Internet. When it comes to TV and Film anyway. And sex-advice columns.

However their gaming section is in its infancy, and has been known to be a wee bit on the inconsistent side.

thanks johnny ultimate.

I think the reviewer lost all sense of perspective in giving it that score (although I suspect they may just be looking for traffic).

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

heres my first post. Can't wait for UC3 but i loved UC1 more than UC2. the story was way better in my view. the action set pieces of UC2 were brill but nothing like a good story. :) Ordered UC3 explorers Edition from gamestop and i hope it would be here today but i have to wait and see :(

I'd say with it being the bank holiday there won't be any deliveries today

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

thanks johnny ultimate.

I think the reviewer lost all sense of perspective in giving it that score (although I suspect they may just be looking for traffic).

The AV Club (which is a sister site of the Onion) is well established enough that it doesn't need cheap traffic hits, in fairness. But yes, perhaps the reviewer did want to stir up some controversy, that's not outside the realm of possibility.

Or, just maybe, they didn't actually like it. They're entitled to express that opinion too. I don't think the review reads too well, but there does seem like a sense of disappointment with the game compared to its predecessor.

If a reviewer isn't allowed to express an opinion for fear they'll be set upon by rabid fanboys, that isn't criticism. It's peer pressure. And, TBH, looking at metacritic pages for big releases, game 'criticism' often resembles the latter. That's why honest opinion (someone like gamecentral, who always seem genuine) is welcome alongside the 'pay us for a good review!' likes of IGN.

And it's 1% on metacritic. It's not a personal insult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 RufustheKing

matty55 wrote: »
    I'd say with it being the bank holiday there won't be any deliveries today

:( yet the bins will be collected at my house today :(

The AV Club (which is a sister site of the Onion) is well established enough that it doesn't need cheap traffic hits, in fairness. But yes, perhaps the reviewer did want to stir up some controversy, that's not outside the realm of possibility.

Or, just maybe, they didn't actually like it. They're entitled to express that opinion too. I don't think the review reads too well, but there does seem like a sense of disappointment with the game compared to its predecessor.

If a reviewer isn't allowed to express an opinion for fear they'll be set upon by rabid fanboys, that isn't criticism. It's peer pressure. And, TBH, looking at metacritic pages for big releases, game 'criticism' often resembles the latter. That's why honest opinion (someone like gamecentral, who always seem genuine) is welcome alongside the 'pay us for a good review!' likes of IGN.

And it's 1% on metacritic. It's not a personal insult!

I agree, but to be honest I have yet to play a game that would deserve 50%, that's pathetic (I'm exaggerating, I have - but its really scrapping the barrel to get that low a score). Like I said, perspective

• Advertisement

See what i start :p

Anyways while i still think av club review is bollox i do like they point out the flaws instead of ignoring them and rewarding it a perfect score , same way i dont agree with ign 10/10 score , i think so far eurogamer review was the best read out of the bunch.

The guy writing the AV review clearly has bricks for hands. 4 shotgun hits to the head to kill someone? Really?!

I have to say tho, metacritic equating a C to 50% is a bit retarded too!

I have to say tho, metacritic equating a C to 50% is a bit retarded too!

Ya that my eyebrow raised aswell, if thats the case i failed my exams in school :pac:

A "C" in UCD is in or around 55%, i see them all too often :(

A "C" in UCD is in or around 55%, i see them all too often :(

isn't a C between 55% and 69%? so 63% might have been a better score to attribute to it?

isn't a C between 55% and 69%? so 63% might have been a better score to attribute to it?

Depends which system your using. As i said, in uni it's in or around 55. "A"s are 70+

Bone-Idle posted their Uncharted 3 review yesterday:

http://www.bone-idle.ie/index.php/uncharted-3-review/

Very fair review, pointing out it's flaws yet not focussing only on the flaws. Contrast this to AV review.

Grumpypants, did you write the review?

I kinda found this interesting too:

http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/363/the-making-of-uncharted-3---part-1-interview

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

SPOILER ALERT:

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/uncharted-3-drakes-deception/Story

IGN have done a quirky wee backstory of the first 2 games.

There is also a section called "Uncharted 3 story summary" that hasn't been filled in yet. Probably won't be done till later in the week but because its released in america tomorrow it might be filled out tomorrow so don't scroll down past the first video just in case"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

This is still out for wednesday isn't it?

Advertisement