Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Aiming seem a little loose (headshots are tricky), and there are times Drake controls like a drunk.
    The thing that's annoying me is the shoulder swap. First it's not active by default :confused:
    Then everytime you re-aim (let go of L1) you go back to viewing over your right shoulder.

I'm also finding that you aren't really in control of Drake during say chase sequences. Too many times I tried to walk somewhere as
    young drake
    and have been ushered in a different direction. I know it's part and parcel with Uncharted but it seems more prominent here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

humanji wrote: »
    Don't know if it was posted before, but here's an interview with the two leads. It's funny seeing them in real life and how similar they are to the characters.

http://us.gamespot.com/ps3/action/uncharted-3-drakes-deception/video/6343616/drake-and-elena--uncharted-3-drakes-deception-trailer?hd=0

Sorry I can't embed it, and it starts with a Skyrim ad, so just wait for that to finish
    . I fixed your post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Yeah, I saw the same list as you have there. On the notice as you come in. He said that Dark Souls wasn't advertised as being one of them but it works. Cant argue with Uncharted 3 for 99c. :D
    Ace Combat is a bit of an odd one.

After playing it for a couple of hours there. In the
    London Underground, fighting my way out of it.
    Something does indeed feel off with the aiming. Cant quit put my finger on it. Some of the jumping animation doesn't really blend too well, something Uncharted has become synonymous with, imo.

Yeah, I hope RAGE might work in this deal :o I bought it for 25euro when I got BF3 and I can't get into it so looking to try xtravision and get price match with GAME... Worked when I traded in Resistance 3 GAME offered 21euro xtravision 30 so then GAME gave me 31euro :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm also finding that you aren't really in control of Drake during say chase sequences. Too many times I tried to walk somewhere as
    young drake
    and have been ushered in a different direction. I know it's part and parcel with Uncharted but it seems more prominent here.

That's, unfortunately, the major concession Uncharted has to make, and I'd totally agree with you about that sequence (so many streets that looked promising to explore!).

There's no game as thrilling and visceral action wise as Uncharted (I'm trying to avoid using the horrid word 'cinematic') but then we have to be aware that to achieve this level of detail we're traversing a tightly structured script. It's most obvious when you miss a turn during a chase or die and get sent back a few seconds beforehand.

I love Uncharted because let's be honest no other game sends you on a rollercoaster quite as effectively - it's basically the gaming equivalent of a really, really good summer blockbuster (Indiana Jones being the optimum comparison). But I also totally see where the harsh critics of the series are coming from - it's not necessarily the direction gaming should be striving for. Alas, for the giddy pre-scripted thrills you experience in one of these games, you sometimes have to put up with moments when the illusion of player control is briefly shattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Aiming seem a little loose (headshots are tricky), and there are times Drake controls like a drunk.

The aiming does feel odd indeed. This game doesnt have aim assist like other shooters. Instead it slows down your crosshair when it comes close to an enemy so when your moving your crosshair around it can put you off when you bring it over an enemy and you have increase how much your moving the right analog stick to compensate. Its annoying at first but i got used to it, but thats doesnt mean i particularly like it.

Just finished France and the finale is fantastic!. I was doing one of the puzzles in France and was getting sleepy (up since 4am) so decided to take a power nap and left the game on. The OH woke me about an hour later and i got back on the game to a prompt "Do you want the solution to the puzzle, Yes/No" Games these days!

Also noticed Chloe's arse is smaller. Thats most....upsetting

• Advertisement

That's, unfortunately, the major concession Uncharted has to make, and I'd totally agree with you about that sequence (so many streets that looked promising to explore!).

There's no game as thrilling and visceral action wise as Uncharted (I'm trying to avoid using the horrid word 'cinematic') but then we have to be aware that to achieve this level of detail we're traversing a tightly structured script. It's most obvious when you miss a turn during a chase or die and get sent back a few seconds beforehand.

I love Uncharted because let's be honest no other game sends you on a rollercoaster quite as effectively - it's basically the gaming equivalent of a really, really good summer blockbuster (Indiana Jones being the optimum comparison). But I also totally see where the harsh critics of the series are coming from - it's not necessarily the direction gaming should be striving for. Alas, for the giddy pre-scripted thrills you experience in one of these games, you sometimes have to put up with moments when the illusion of player control is briefly shattered.
    You take the good with the bad. Lucky for Uncharted, the bad is negligible when compared to the good. ;)
    I understand this needs to be done to allow that, here's that horrid word again, cinematic feel and it's something that doesn't bother me too much. It's just overly noticeable at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I found the aiming a bit stiff as well at the start but I messed around with the sensitivity and its grand now. Just finished the chateau, really good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Can't play this till tomorrow, its just sitting here gloating me :mad: the novels good though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

The aiming is broken. Why Naughty Dog WHY!!
    Why would you mess with something that's perfectly fine. The multiplayer aiming is fine for most scenarios, but the SP aiming is like trying to control a tank. Particularly when you are trying to be accurate. It seems like the closer you aim to an enemy's head, the harder it gets.
    They are looking into it, but I don't know why it's not obvious to them. There are countless threads of people complaining about the controls, so I don't know how ND missed it or how any reviewers failed to not mention it.
    The game itself was a little disappointing for me and I suspect that a lot of that is to do with the controls.

While we're at it, ND, return the Multiplayer to the way it was in the June BETA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Hey are the grenade throws uncharted 1 or 2 type?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

As I said earlier, I finished the game about 5.30 today - I didn't have too much problems with the aiming to be honest. I also didn't have too much of a problem with 'lack of control' in terms of scipt/cutscenes/cinematics - didn't bother me too much - far less than I expected having read some of the more negative press reviews!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

mystic86 wrote: »
    As I said earlier, I finished the game about 5.30 today - I didn't have too much problems with the aiming to be honest. I also didn't have too much of a problem with 'lack of control' in terms of scipt/cutscenes/cinematics - didn't bother me too much - far less than I expected having read some of the more negative press reviews!!
    Personally I don't go by reviews anyways. I couldnt care less what some magazine thinks. I love movies also and my brother is always banging on about reviews. The best reviewer for me is funnily enough me.
    Same as yourself. Don't mind what anyone says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

It may be worth a try someone trying to buy Batman or Battlefield 3 second hand (or the other games) cheap and trade in to GAME and only pay the 99c... I am going to try that tomorrow with xtravision as I only have about 40euro now :( But will trade in RAGE as it is a terrible game :L..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I came on here to whinge about the aiming as well, its horribly inaccurate, l emptied an entire ak clip at at guy in short bursts aimed at his head and missed them all earlier, it seems spraying while not zoomed in is much more effective, kinda pointless having precision burst fire weapons when you miss even perfectly aimed shots. wonder will they patch it. aside from that though, its fantastic. There are tons of cutscenes, almost MGS amounts, but they flow well, tell a story and the dialogue and character beats are brilliant.

Uncharted is one of the few game series I genuinely care about the characters, like Cutter who (up to chapter 10 spoiler)
    you assume is just another bad guy, then is actually a good guy but you think he'll just turn bad, which he kinda does but its not his fault
    gets really good character development.

krudler wrote: »
    I came on here to whinge about the aiming as well, its horribly inaccurate, l emptied an entire ak clip at at guy in short bursts aimed at his head and missed them all earlier, it seems spraying while not zoomed in is much more effective, kinda pointless having precision burst fire weapons when you miss even perfectly aimed shots. wonder will they patch it. aside from that though, its fantastic.
    http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/singleplayer_multiplayer_gun_mechanics/

Oh, it turns out that the guns are meant to be like that. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I see, it takes getting used to, have lost count of the amount of times I've made a perfect circle of bullets around a guys head

krudler wrote: »
    I see, it takes getting used to, have lost count of the amount of times I've made a perfect circle of bullets around a guys head
    Yeah. I decided to try panning across the screen while aiming. The reticle really slows down when you get close to an enemy. Annoyingly so. It changes so drastically that you feel your reticle should be in a different place than where it ended up being. That's probably why I'm missing those headshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

My copy arrived from Amazon this morning, so looking forward to cracking into it tonight! Excited now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Finished it last night (5am :o), normal difficulty in 9 hours 12. This felt a bit short to be honest, maybe because it was done in two sittings. How is everyone else finding their game length? It'd be helpful to post what difficulty you played it on too.

My brief sentiments on the game:
    I've lost track of the amount of times I said "holy shít!" out loud at some amazing cut scene, twist or backdrop. Particularly the scenes in the desert, you really felt like you had to haul Drake up from the sand and drag him along. Then when you get to the mirage and it turns out to be the same well again and you've been going around in circles, you can feel his frustration. Even typing this now I'm remembering scenes like the ship graveyard or the cruise ship, the CHATEAU, moments that I had completely forgotten about as the story went on. That's not to say that they're not memorable in their own right, but that the game is so god damn captivating and it has so many stand-out moments that in effect, none of them can really stand out.

In terms of the biggest WOW moment graphically, has to be the start of chapter 20 when you're chasing Marlowe's caravan on horseback. The background was un-be-lievable.

The scenes in the Atlantis of the Sands when Drake drinks the water and starts tripping balls aswell have to be some of my favourite in all three games. The bit when he's at the pool and he has to pull the levers to fill it with water. You see his reflection in the water running along and guiding him, but then ultimately the reflection turns on you and throws you back to reality.

In saying that, I have a criticism about the ending. Marlowe's demise felt too easy, and it wasn't at the hand of Drake at all. As the main antagonist she should have had a final battle with Drake, ala Lazaravic in Uncharted 2. Maybe Drake could have drinken some of the water and Marlowe would have appeared as some devil-ised version of herself - would have made for a pretty cool boss battle. It didn't feel right that Talbot had the last stand-off, to me he was always the secondary antagonist, or Marlowe's lackey.

But that is the only flaw I would put on this otherwise perfect game. It says a lot that I stayed up till 5am to finish it, only to wake up the next day and start playing it immediately again (we're talking, not even getting out of bed for a morning piss) to try and find more treasures and trophies.

Thanks Naughty Dog.

Actually, if you read it properly, he says that the aiming is exactly the same as it was in U2, which is total bull****. Even the multiplayer aiming is completely different.
    They are failing to identify the issue and stating that the code for the aiming in both games is identical. It's not. Go play the mutliplayer and you can see the difference. Go play U2 and see the difference.
    The fact that they can't see a difference between the aiming in the two games, only further confirms there is a problem.

• Advertisement

qz wrote: »
    Finished it last night (5am :o), normal difficulty in 9 hours 12. This felt a bit short to be honest, maybe because it was done in two sittings. How is everyone else finding their game length? It'd be helpful to post what difficulty you played it on too.

I finished 5.30pm yesterday, I played it on normal difficulty and it took me 12 hours 30 mins. Are you basing your time on what it says in the save/load file? cause that underestimates it.

I really didn't experience the aiming problems that are being reported here and elsewhere

mystic86 wrote: »
    I finished 5.30pm yesterday, I played it on normal difficulty and it took me 12 hours 30 mins. Are you basing your time on what it says in the save/load file? cause that underestimates it.

I am, maybe that explains it. I haven't timed myself otherwise.
    I really didn't experience the aiming problems that are being reported here and elsewhere

Same. It was tricky but I wouldn't go so far as to say that there was a "problem".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Just finished it there on normal 9 hours 58 minutes with 64 treasures collected. did it in two sittings (one massive one yesterday), super game all round.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't care what Naughty Dog says, the aiming is clearly broken in the single player. I'm not impressed with their response. They need to sit down and actually check the game rather than giving us bullsh*t about the code. I'm on chapter 8 and I don't think I'm going to play any further until this is patched. Most of the time I find myself running into a hail of bullets to try and melee an enemy because I can't aim properly.

I'm on chapter 8 and I don't think I'm going to play any further until this is patched.

That would be the greatest disservice of all time.
    Most of the time I find myself running into a hail of bullets to try and melee an enemy because I can't aim properly.

I enjoyed doing that, the melee is part of the game too.

I don't care what Naughty Dog says, the aiming is clearly broken in the single player. I'm not impressed with their response. They need to sit down and actually check the game rather than giving us bullsh*t about the code. I'm on chapter 8 and I don't think I'm going to play any further until this is patched. Most of the time I find myself running into a hail of bullets to try and melee an enemy because I can't aim properly.

what the hell is going on?

I had basically no problems at all really!

i'm very confused

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭LauraW7746

Picked up explorer edition yesterday, gotta say I love this game, controls are a bit finicky at times though and there was a section I had to kill myself cos nobody would follow me, it worked after that then. Stuck on a puzzle now for ages even though I have the puzzle solved in the notebook still can't figure it out;)

Just had my first lock up there at Chapter 10. The cutscene where you meet
    Elena
    for the first time played and the next thing they were already at the top of a stairs walking down it (should there have been a cutscene showing them arrive?) Anyway, the screen lock up on me while chapter 10 was still written on the screen.

• Advertisement

LauraW7746 wrote: »
    Picked up explorer edition yesterday, gotta say I love this game, controls are a bit finicky at times though and there was a section I had to kill myself cos nobody would follow me, it worked after that then. Stuck on a puzzle now for ages even though I have the puzzle solved in the notebook still can't figure it out;)

Does it involve walking across a floor? (That shouldn't be a spoiler to anyone).

If it does:
    I was stuck on that for ages, I kept doing it in the order of top to bottom as it appeared in the notebook, but you have to do it starting from the bottom as it appears in the notebook. It's counter-intuitive but sooo satisfying when the penny drops.

Advertisement