Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Mc Love wrote: »
    Ok I have shielded my eyes to the last few pages - I just want to know if Tesco have this in stock? Going to call to 24 hour on way home from work.
    Possibly, but probably not. They put out new stock on Fridays and none of them had it. Was in Nutgrove and Dundrum yesterday and neither of them had it out or in the back and wouldnt have it in till friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I just put the old aiming sensitivity up to full and it works a treat!

I just put the old aiming sensitivity up to full and it works a treat!
    I found that it didn't really help me too much. Sure I was able to move the reticle faster but the slowing down close to enemies fecks up you expectation of where you think the reticle should be. It's kind of like an aim assist, but it seems to be an aim hindrance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,853 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Aiming is very annoying, it's like the dead zone is too big or something

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the aiming problem is a combination of dead zone, lag and messed up diagonals. According to ND, the aiming is identical to UC2 - but it's not. I put in UC2 earlier to see if it was just my imagination and the difference is huge. The aiming is much more responsive and precise. UC3's multiplayer aiming seems perfect as well, so this is an easy enough fix once they get around to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Is it just me or is it really hard to get through an area using stealth. Seems you cant proform a stealth kill from corners anymore which make it impossible and most of the time when you take down an enemy all the others get alerted.

yeah, I tried it before the cargo plane and got about 4 guys with silent takedowns then someone spotted me, what kinda annoys me about alerting the enemies is that fair enough, they all start attacking you, but then you have multiple shotgun guys, snipers, guys with rockets, all appearing out of fecking nowhere, its just maddening in parts.
    I dont mind a challenge but there's been way more times I've been cursing this than UC2, a few times I've been in cover shooting at people then a guy just appears beside me and blasts me in the face with a shotgun, one shot death, really annoying in places. You just get overwhlemed with enemies at times, even Drake says "this is getting ridiculous!" during one point when two guys with rpgs appear, I hear ya man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

krudler wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it really hard to get through an area using stealth. Seems you cant proform a stealth kill from corners anymore which make it impossible and most of the time when you take down an enemy all the others get alerted.

yeah, I tried it before the cargo plane and got about 4 guys with silent takedowns then someone spotted me, what kinda annoys me about alerting the enemies is that fair enough, they all start attacking you, but then you have multiple shotgun guys, snipers, guys with rockets, all appearing out of fecking nowhere, its just maddening in parts.
    I dont mind a challenge but there's been way more times I've been cursing this than UC2, a few times I've been in cover shooting at people then a guy just appears beside me and blasts me in the face with a shotgun, one shot death, really annoying in places. You just get overwhlemed with enemies at times, even Drake says "this is getting ridiculous!" during one point when two guys with rpgs appear, I hear ya man.

This. It's an unfair challenge. Nearly threw the pad at the floor a few times. The game is annoying the sh1t out of me to be honest.

Roar wrote: »
    This. It's an unfair challenge. Nearly threw the pad at the floor a few times. The game is annoying the sh1t out of me to be honest.

I definitely prefered the firefights in UC2, not that they were easier, some enemies were bastard hard in the later levels, just that it seemed a fairer fight, I dunno, its something thats a bit off on this, but when its good its awesome, chapter 12 spoiler:
    the vertical shootout in the shipyard was brilliant.
    its just a few very tiny niggles preventing me from enjoying it as much as the previous game. its still easily a GOTY contender though, as if it was ever not going to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

The one bit that pissed me off combat wise was on the cruise ship:
    where you're in the area with all the containers on the deck, with a sniper or two and somebody shooting flares at you. The armoured heavy that comes out with the minigun, it is impossible to kill him, kept peppering shots at him and it was doing nothing, I got my ass handed to me. Eventually I found a little hiding place in the wall of containers and I could get the odd headshot at him while he couldn't fire at me. I'm thinking in that part that maybe the way to kill him is to lure him in between two containers, and then when the boat rocks he gets squashed between them?

The other part on the cruise ship in the main ballroom was pretty tricky too, 3 snipers and more flares and grenades being fired at you, while you get flanked by two armoured guys with shotguns and numerous other pirates. That was a pain in the ass, but I found it got easier each time as you get to know the environment and see what areas of cover work for you. I wouldn't call that a bad thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

UC1's firefights were like that as well. I remember a particular chapter where I had my back up against a wall, stepped a few feet away and a bad guy materialised behind me. As a result, I found that game unplayable on anything but easy.

Never had this issue with UC2. It seemed like they struck just the right balance as far as the shootouts were concerned, never overwhelming you with enemies to the point that it got annoying. But I think they've gone a few steps back with this game. However, the whole re-spawning army of enemies thing is very dated at this stage.

The enemies don't seem to register hits half the time either. Was this always the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kav1892

Just finished it through on hard.....played it pretty much all the time since I got it yesterday...but what a masterpiece of a game...

I agree with it being annoying that sometimes accurate shots just dont seem to register...but like anyone complaining about being snuck up on with a shotgun and one kill/one death, well I mean last time I checked, enemies shudnt exactly inform you that their sneaking up on you....and I challenge anyone to suggest surviving a point blank shotgun to the body :D:p its realism far as Im concerned.

Have to say, didnt find the banter between Sully & Nate as good in this one though compared to the others...

One things for certain....although I might finally be able to sleep after completing this, I do fear I'll be getting chased by millions of spiders for quite some time :D :pac:

Oh, one thing that kept me awake for a while last night after finishing the game...

What the fcuk was the "Deception" referring to? I get it with the other games:

U1 - Drake's Fortune: obvious.
    U2 - Among Thieves: Flynn turning out to be the antagonist.

But for U3 it isn't as obvious to me.
    -Francis Drake trying to cover his true findings of his explorations? (Probably the most pertinent - but I'm ashamed to admit I've forgotten the overall plot of the game already and will probably have to Wiki it tonight to remind myself!)
    -Marlowe trying to trick Drake into believing Sully was only concerned with himself?
    -The hallucinogenic effects of the water in the Lost City?
    -On a lesser note: the desert mirages / visions of Sully?
    -All of the above? As in, all instances of deception or trickery during the game taken as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kav1892

qz wrote: »

I'd say you could be right and most likely a mix of all them....Seems to be a constant theme throughout the storyline...
    Particularly when we thought (or at least Drake & I believed that Sully had been killed

Kav1892 wrote: »
    I'd say you could be right and most likely a mix of all them....Seems to be a constant theme throughout the storyline...
    Particularly when we thought (or at least Drake & I believed that Sully had been killed
    I thought Sully had been killed by Talbot, but that when he re-appeared to Drake it was actually Talbot taking on his form and pretending to be him. I thought this especially when Drake and Sully go to flank Marlowe when they're dragging up the artefact from the waters, Drake turns to see where Sully is and Talbot is there facing him, I thought I was right for sure until Sully appeared then.

Re: Talbot taking on Sully's form, I don't think it's as mental an idea as it sounds. Given that he was shot pretty much point blank earlier in the game (wasn't he?) and yet still survived, and that the games themselves are pretty occult-heavy and focus a lot on the supernatural. In saying that I definitely think that U3 was the least fantastical of the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

For the first time in many years, I broke a controller, I was so frustrated with ****ty input lag, I could not aim for ****. I managed to get as far as the ship level but after dying 10 times in a row in the concert hall I threw my controller against a wall and smashed it to pieces.

I'm usually a pretty decent aim, I have played thousands of hours of FP/TP shooters, I can finish most on hard and usually have a pretty good k/d ratio on multilayer. I even finished UC2 on hard but I can't even get passed this game on normal. I have played games for 20 years and I never have had to reduce the difficulty before. I wanna play this game so badly as I love the story and the puzzels but I can't bear the shooting any more, so I'm going to stop until they fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

-Francis Drake trying to cover his true findings of his explorations? (Probably the most pertinent - but I'm ashamed to admit I've forgotten the overall plot of the game already and will probably have to Wiki it tonight to remind myself!)

pretty sure its that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Oh, one thing that kept me awake for a while last night after finishing the game...

U1 - Drake's Fortune: obvious.
    U2 - Among Thieves: Flynn turning out to be the antagonist.

But for U3 it isn't as obvious to me.
    -Marlowe trying to trick Drake into believing Sully was only concerned with himself?
    -The hallucinogenic effects of the water in the Lost City?
    -On a lesser note: the desert mirages / visions of Sully?
    -All of the above? As in, all instances of deception or trickery during the game taken as a whole?

In the two titles Drakes Fortune and Drakes Deception it is refering Francis Drake, not Nathan Drake.
    Id say your spot on with the first point. Drakes deceiving the Queen of England by telling her he found nothing, and him deceiving the world by saying he was messing about in Borneo and Southeast Asia when really he was Persia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

sink wrote: »
    For the first time in many years, I broke a controller, I was so frustrated with ****ty input lag, I could not aim for ****. I managed to get as far as the ship level but after dying 10 times in a row in the concert hall I threw my controller against a wall and smashed it to pieces.

I'm usually a pretty decent aim, I have played thousands of hours of FP/TP shooters, I can finish most on hard and usually have a pretty good k/d ratio on multilayer. I even finished UC2 on hard but I can't even get passed this game on normal. I have played games for 20 years and I never have had to reduce the difficulty before. I wanna play this game so badly as I love the story and the puzzels but I can't bear the shooting any more, so I'm going to stop until they fix it.

woah!

i'm shocked with people's reactions/problems with aiming

Same, I don't see how it can ruin the game. Is it a case of people being too used to the unrealistically lightening-fast movement you get with a COD game, particularly on PC?

Same, I don't see how it can ruin the game. Is it a case of people being too used to the unrealistically lightening-fast movement you get with a COD game, particularly on PC?

no its definitely off, compared to the first two games and other 3rd person shooters like Gears. wonder if they'll patch a fix for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

krudler wrote: »
    no its definitely off, compared to the first two games and other 3rd person shooters like Gears. wonder if they'll patch a fix for it.

The aiming mechanics in single player and multiplayer are different. I agree that UC3 aiming is different from UC2 but its by no means broken. I maxed out the sensitivity and after about 20mins i was sorted. I think the UC3 multiplayer aiming mechanics is closer to what people remember from UC2 but without the aim assist. To me it seems UC3 abandons aim assist and instead lowers the sensitivity of your crosshair when you pan it close to enemys...

I also didnt have any problems with hit detection as alot of people are seeming to have. I played on Hard and enemys can soak up a fair bit of punishment, so maybe those shots are actually landing but enemys just simply take more damage...

Oh yeah and they fixed the multplayer. Its very playable now. Lotsa fun. Only problems i have is that they reused like 4-5 maps from UC2! Although they did redesign them to look abit different, and its not all bad cause they are some of the best maps in the game. Some of the other new maps like City of Brass and Syria are awful.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ah there is something off about the aiming no doubt about that. I didn't find it as problematic as some are making it out to be though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, didn't notice it nearly as much tonight. You get used to it.

Imperfect? Yup. Gamebreaking? Nope.

TBH, didn't notice it nearly as much tonight. You get used to it.

Imperfect? Yup. Gamebreaking? Nope.
    Just did chapter 8-10 tonight and it wasn't as bad, but noticeable. Maybe im getting used to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Finished the game there tonight. Few positives and negatives

Negatives:
    -Aiming isn't as good as previous two, didn't have the same level of problems people seem to be having though
    -A lot of the guys you fight look exactly the same, which for a game like UC which pays such attention to detail is surprising.
    -Camera angles annoyed me at times, just the odd time I wasn't able to get the view I wanted which never happened before.
    -Not a whole lot of new features
    -Storyline: Not quite cleared up brilliantly. My brother was playing earlier in the chateau and pointed out we never found out what happened to the dead body which looked like it had been dead a while despite only arriving a few minutes previously. Why were the enemies going on fire at the end of the game?
    -Followed the same pattern as the previous games. No mention of whats happened with Elaina since the last game, she turns up half way through and they fall in love again. Once again the game ends with a city crumbling under Drakes feet, it's getting a bit old.

Positives
    - Visually stunning. These games always are fantastic to just watch, but this is definitely the best,
    - The hand-to-hand combat has improved and is more prominent
    - Puzzles: They're more difficult (although there were one or two that I thought were a bit stupid
    Lighting the shadow of the guy stabbing someone on the wall :confused:
    ). Overall they were better because they came earlier in the game, which gave the whole game more gradual momentum. The puzzles themselves were largely quite entertaining
    -
    Storyline: There may have been negatives but this was probably the best story for any UC game imo. It was brilliantly developed with the early Nate part a nice addition. It was put together in a clever way, and really felt like the most thought out of the series so far.
    - Gameplay: Generally excellent. The places you go and the tasks you undertake are always entertaining. New features that may have easily caused frustration were actually really entertaining (
    The drugged up running around scene, and the wandering through the desert. Also, the part with the ships around chapter 14 was perhaps the most entertaining couple of chapters of the whole series.
    )

Overall:
    Really good game, I can't hep but feel it lacks something, only something small though. It could have been another 3 chapters longer with
    perhaps one of the main bad guys (can't remember names) escaping and a return to London being the finale
    . But overall a great game anyway, 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

sink wrote: »

That part was a nightmare, exact same thing happened to me. Got completely overwhelmed with the guys with shotguns and kept getting killed by the snipers. Found the only way to get past it was to run back up to the entrance and just fight them off from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Finally got around to starting this this evening and have to say loving it so far, its a match for UC2 at the moment anyway but will leave judgement until i've finished it.

Playing on hard, on the cruise ship at the moment. Save says 6 hours in but feels like more. I have to say though I was worried about the aiming when I kept hearing about it. At first I found it weird but with the sensitivity at max its not an issue anymore so try that if you haven't already. Hit detection is perfect for me also!!
    The one bit that pissed me off combat wise was on the cruise ship:
    where you're in the area with all the containers on the deck, with a sniper or two and somebody shooting flares at you. The armoured heavy that comes out with the minigun, it is impossible to kill him, kept peppering shots at him and it was doing nothing, I got my ass handed to me. Eventually I found a little hiding place in the wall of containers and I could get the odd headshot at him while he couldn't fire at me. I'm thinking in that part that maybe the way to kill him is to lure him in between two containers, and then when the boat rocks he gets squashed between them?
    You know you can kill the guy on the ledge and he drops his grendade launcher?? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It's noting to do with COD, I never had this problem with UC1&2. When aiming if the controls aren't responsive enough it's like trying to react to everything with a half-second delay. It may not sound like much but trying to get a head shot on a moving target is made extremely difficult even for advanced players. This is the only game i've experienced it with and I've played everything from Resitance 1&2, Killzone 2&3, Halo 3, ODST, Reach, Gears of War 1,2&3, Battlefield BC1&2, COD MW1&2, BLOPS, Mass Effect, 1&2, GTA IV, Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2, GRAW 1&2 and that's only counting the shooters on this generation of console.

-Storyline: Not quite cleared up brilliantly. My brother was playing earlier in the chateau and pointed out we never found out what happened to the dead body which looked like it had been dead a while despite only arriving a few minutes previously.
    Good point. I'd wager that it was dead a while and had been laying in that spot for quite some time. Possibly serves as evidence that the group which Marlowe was involved in stretched back a long time and was well-founded and generations old, nothing more than that unless I'm way off the mark.
    Why were the enemies going on fire at the end of the game?
    This was a hallucination experienced by Drake after he drank the water

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Why does drake manouvre like a drunk, sniff of a barmans fart or what

Advertisement