Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK FreeviewHD TV's have mpeg4

• 23-11-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I was up in Curry's Sprucefield yesterday Monday-
    panasonic tv's have built in freesat and freeview hd-
    sales guy checked on freeview site for me-
    seems freeview HD works on mpeg4;
    so they can work with Irish digital?
    32 inch lcd panasonic cost 499 sterling
    42 inch plasma panasonic costs 699 gbp
    Can anyone confirm these tv's will work with the republics digital service?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

tommee wrote: »

If they are Freeview HD then they are DVB-T2 so yes, they are good for Irish DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tommee

many thanks for that;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭Willby

Hi,
    Recently purchased Samsung FreeviewHD tv from Curry's in Dublin and can confirm that it works perfectly with Saorview(IrishDTT) and it also has MHEG5 which means digital txt from RTE also available.
    Actually if you visit the "Terrestial" board you will get an up to date listing of tv's which will receive Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

are there no tv's specifically for irish freeview, why do they bother selling UK freeview tv's over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

jc84 wrote: »
    are there no tv's specifically for irish freeview, why do they bother selling UK freeview tv's over here

Walker products are the only Saorview certified products at the moment, other manufacturers will appear in due course.

Freeview TVs are sold here as basic analogue TVs that happen to have a freeview digital tuner built in. Some freeview TVs also include an MPEG-4 decoder which is capable of receiving Irish DTT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Compatible
    Saorview and "Freeview HD" TV, but NOT "Full HD" or "HD Ready" "Freeview" TVs.
    http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/saorview-reception/

jc84 wrote: »

partially ignorance, partially "product dumping" and partially Digital took so long coming.. When Irish tests started the UK "Freeview HD" didn't exist.

Now with more UK areas getting Terrestrial HD, they need to sell "Freeview HD" sets and the "Full HD" or "HD Ready" "Freeview" TVs are nearly worthless now as much lower % in UK uses Virgin/Sky than Irish use UPC/Sky for TV and such TVs now will never receive HD via aerial socket in UK, even if they have MPEG4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

do all "Freeview HD" tvs have MHEG5 built in?

i have a Samsung LE46C750 3D tv, but i am unable to test saorview as i have no aerial on the roof at the moment

i know it has MPEG4..

but im trying to decifer if i have a fully compatible tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

BArra wrote: »
    do all "Freeview HD" tvs have MHEG5 built in?

i have a Samsung LE46C750 3D tv, but i am unable to test saorview as i have no aerial on the roof at the moment

i know it has MPEG4..

but im trying to decifer if i have a fully compatible tv

MHEG-5 is part of the Freeview-HD specification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The V10s, G10s, G15s = NO. have MPEG4 alright but diasbled in firmware to only open MPEg2 broadcasts.

Same with older series PZ81 and LZD81s - NO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

STB wrote: »
    The V10s, G10s, G15s = NO. have MPEG4 alright but diasbled in firmware to only open MPEg2 broadcasts.

Same with older series PZ81 and LZD81s - NO.

Why would they disable it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

To save licence royalty costs in some markets.

Tiny amount of saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Why would they disable it?

They are saying to stick rigidly to UK DBook. IE they didnt define anything other than MPEG2 in the firmware for dvb-t despite the MPEG4 H264 processor being on board to help decode the HD broadcasts off the Freesat Tuner. It has caused havoc for those that bought a HD Freesat/DVB-T Combo TV over here. And they did recive it until RTE put up the proper service flag. It means that since RTE NL rightly broadcast a flag that says I am an MPEG4 broadcast that these TVs ignore the stations in a scan because it thinks its an MPEG2 TV despite its MPEG4 processor. Panasonic refuse to fix saying that they TV shouldnt have been bought here that it is for the Uk market. They can maintain that they diud nothing wrong - some might say that the reality is that they short circuited ETSI standards.

LG nor Sony felt the need to do it, their combos work. They stuck to ETSI standards, not UK Dbook.

And its not the only thing Panasonic disabled in the firmware on the G10/15/v10 models in particular.

Some guy discovered that you could edit the capabilities by using the inbuilt hex editor (yes a built in hex editor in a TV!) which changed the Combo Tv to a European Model allowing calibration and gamma adjustment etc.

Advertisement