Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FASTWAY COURIERS FAIL.

Options
  • 23-11-2010 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

For the second time this year i have had a parcel signed for by a complete stranger(Also with illegible handwriting),when delivered by FASTWAY Couriers,the driver can-t remember what house he dropped it in(Funny that)and of course none of my neighbours know anything about any parcels.Just wondering if anybody else has had the misfortune of dealing with these people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you don't receive a parcel, then contact the retailer. They are the people responsible for getting your parcel to you (they engage the courier services).

There is no real benefit in complaining to the courier as your contract is not with them.

If they learn parcels aren't arriving to recipients, then they can start to put pressure on the couriers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mogwai10

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've the opposite with Fastway.
    Their local courier calls me for auth to leave the package in the porch.

Works for me as there is nobody home most days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

All couriers with Fastway are independant, its like a co-op. Thus you will get the "I don't give a cr@p" crowd and the professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

OP My mam had the exact same problem with Fastway last week. An absolute joke, they sent the driver back out to see if he could figure out where he left and he claims he can't remember!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I've the opposite with Fastway.
    Their local courier calls me for auth to leave the package in the porch.

Works for me as there is nobody home most days.

You might be happy but I'm sure the company that sent the package might not be as impressed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If he calls and is given the go ahead then there is no problem. He should record these calls to cover his own ass though. One of my local couriers leaves my packages in the local garage ( behind the counter) if given permission to do so. At least he has a record of the call and a CCTV of him entering the garage with a package.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Have to say, my local Fastway courier also rings me before he delivers...but mainly because he can't get the van down our track and he can't turn around easily once he's down by the cottage :pac: ...so he rings me when he's 10 mins away and I drive out to meet him at an arranged place a mile or so from home.

If I can't get there for whatever reason, then, with the petrol station owner's permission, I ask him to leave the parcel(s) at a local petrol station for me to collect later that day.
    The petrol station owner signs for the delivery.

In the past, when its something that is time critical he has even offered to bring it home with him from the depot, so I can collect it from his house (20 mins away) the night before, rather than wait for the next-day scheduled delivery. Like same-day delivery, except I collect :D

Now that's what I call good service!

Its an arrangement that works well for us so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wickerman07

My delivery was due on a Friday...its now Wednesday and it still hasn't arrived...I've been "promised" that il receive it tomorrow.

Delivery man called...i was at the shop at the time so I called the number on the slip when I returned. He was literally 5 minutes from my house and said that he wouldn't turn back and that id have to wait till the Tuesday(Bank holiday weekend).

On the Tuesday I had to go to work so I called him to ask him could he deliver it there instead. He said he that couldn't as it was in a different zone....I live on Dominic Street in Galway and work on the Docks (a 4 minute walk)...

Ive used UPS in the past and such requests were never met with any difficulty....if I was out of the house at the time they would return that day or would drop off at a different address if requested.

Keep well clear from these!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Not trying to back fastway but all couriers are self employed and the city is cut up into different zones. Part of there contracts they cant go into other zones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

My delivery was due on a Friday...its now Wednesday and it still hasn't arrived...I've been "promised" that il receive it tomorrow.

Delivery man called...i was at the shop at the time so I called the number on the slip when I returned. He was literally 5 minutes from my house and said that he wouldn't turn back and that id have to wait till the Tuesday(Bank holiday weekend).

On the Tuesday I had to go to work so I called him to ask him could he deliver it there instead. He said he that couldn't as it was in a different zone....I live on Dominic Street in Galway and work on the Docks (a 4 minute walk)...

Ive used UPS in the past and such requests were never met with any difficulty....if I was out of the house at the time they would return that day or would drop off at a different address if requested.

A UPS driver will ahve a much larger zone than fastway and also most are directly employed, so they can get permission to go out of their zone.

With Fastway, they are all independent couriers and they have smaller areas but a huge volume - most will have 200 drops / collections a day. A different street, even within a small area can be another driver's area and they cannot enter it.

Like all delivery companies, it works a dream when everything is in place, but domestic deliveries are fraught with dificulties as you are dependent on someone being there at the same time as the driver. - Applies to ALL delivery companies.

Where possible use a work address - parcels will always get delivered on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

had the same issue with fastways....delivered to a random house down the street. Lucky for the courier the people there took it in!

Leaves the intended recipient in the embarassing position of having to rely on the good will of other people (that u may not know) to get a parcel delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 wickerman07

thats true and i accept that they are more restricted but this is maybe reason enough to use UPS instead

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thehairyelbow

Guys, I've worked for various courier companies down the years, and please believe me when I say Fastway are the worst of the worst! Some of the things they and their drivers have done and continue to do would make you cringe. Stay away from them! They don't care about customers. How they are still operating is beyond me. They just want your money up front for the labels, and tough luck if anything goes wrong with your consignment. Customer service is not in their vocabulary. Use Nightline, DPD, An Post, bring it there yourself before getting involved with Fastway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Niamh2011

The hairyelbow I would be interested to find out where you developed that opinion about Fastway? Did you work for them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I've also had issues with them in the past, I complained to the people who I had purchased the items from originally and they said they've had a lot of problems with them.

I've gotten damaged items (visably damaged in transit), I've had them just leave stuff at my door, knock and walk away and I've had them ring me to meet them down the road when there's a perfectly good space outside my house.

But as someone said, they're independant contractors so the levels of professionalism vaires. The specific area I had problems in is Westmeath/Roscommon.

Niamh2011 wrote: »
    The hairyelbow I would be interested to find out where you developed that opinion about Fastway? Did you work for them???

Couldn't have developed my opinion otherwise, could I??

Couldn't have developed my opinion otherwise, could I??

Is that supposed to be a smart comment ??? I was just asking a question.

So if you worked for them you owned a run? Or you were just subcontracted in? Not that its any of my business I was just wondering if this was personal experince.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Do you have any connection with Fastway Couriers, Niamh?

Two posts; both querying another poster on his comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So basically, you were not there to take delivery so it's someone else's fault. The drivers have routes, so it is not unlikely that your home and work are different areas - the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I have used Fastway for my business for several years - never had a lost package, never a misdelivered package, never a damaged package.

• Advertisement

Do you have any connection with Fastway Couriers, Niamh?

Two posts; both querying another poster on his comments.

Yeah my husband just got a run and I am concerned with how many past couriers seem to really dislike them.

Niamh2011 wrote: »
    Yeah my husband just got a run and I am concerned with how many past couriers seem to really dislike them.

I am wondering if this is the right place for this. My opinions are based on my experiences from being engaged with the aforementioned company. Unfortunately they are not good experiences. If, as you say, your husband has "just got a run", then my advice to him would be to do his homework and tred very, very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

We've used them for over 2 years now. Wouldn't be very heavy users. Maybe 2 or 3 packages a week. We've never had a problem with them. Our local driver goes out of his way to accomodate us. We wouldn't dream of moving away from them. We're in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

I've only used them this once and won't be using them again. Both yesterday and today they said the driver rang but no one answered, I had my phone right beside me all day and not one call from them came through. I checked with them to make sure they had the right number and they did. Then they said the van broke down, fair enough. Then today they promised it would be here and once again the tracker said it was out for delivery but they didn't drop anything off. Again they said they rang, but they didn't and customer support wouldn't answer the phone. It's ridiculous how some courier companies get to operate these days. I had a similar problem with UPS before and after a week of them not delivering or ringing I just went to the depot and picked it up myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The fastway driver in my area is a joke. He leaves your item on the window sill of your house nearest the road so anyone who is passing can pick it up. This is regardless of whether you are home or not. He signs for the item himself.

All the other couriers in the area are great. They normally ring and see if you are home and if not arrange an alternative place to drop your item for you. They never just leave it with a random neighbour.

Miaireland wrote: »
    The fastway driver in my area is a joke. He leaves your item on the window sill of your house nearest the road so anyone who is passing can pick it up. This is regardless of whether you are home or not. He signs for the item himself.

All the other couriers in the area are great. They normally ring and see if you are home and if not arrange an alternative place to drop your item for you. They never just leave it with a random neighbour.

It's illegal for him to sign it himself, and it's most likely illegal to leave it on your window sill too. I'm just going to call head office Monday morning and request the name and number of the driver, I'd make a complaint about the company too but Fastway seem to be all about selling a franchise so there is very little transparency. If I was in your situation and knew ahead of time they were leaving it on your window sill I'd find a way to get them on cctv or video and present that to head office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's illegal for him to sign it himself, and it's most likely illegal to leave it on your window sill too. I'm just going to call head office Monday morning and request the name and number of the driver, I'd make a complaint about the company too but Fastway seem to be all about selling a franchise so there is very little transparency. If I was in your situation and knew ahead of time they were leaving it on your window sill I'd find a way to get them on cctv or video and present that to head office.

A few issues here. Firstly it is only illegal if he signs your name. He can sign the docket to say nobody was home. It is not illegal to leave the parcel on a window ledge.
    Finally, you have no contract with the courier. Your complaint needs to be raised with the sender, who does have a contract with the courier and is also the one responsible for delivery of the item.

It's not illegal to leave it on a ledge outside of an address without even properly notifying the receiver that it's there? What kind of a fairy tale fantasy world do they live in? one where theft obviously must not exist. I'd honestly love to hear head offices reply to that kind of professional behaviour. I get that he can sign a docket stating that no one was home, but he should not be legally allowed to sign it and then leave the package there for anyone to wander up to and take. The docket should state that no one was home so the parcel went back in the van for tomorrow or the following day/etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's not illegal to leave it on a ledge outside of an address without even properly notifying the receiver that it's there? What kind of a fairy tale fantasy world do they live in? one where theft obviously must not exist. I'd honestly love to hear head offices reply to that kind of professional behaviour. I get that he can sign a docket stating that no one was home, but he should not be legally allowed to sign it and then leave the package there for anyone to wander up to and take. The docket should state that no one was home so the parcel went back in the van for tomorrow or the following day/etc.

Let's be clear here. "Should not be legally allowed" and "it is illegal" are two very different things. If the latter then please state the statute.

Again, complaints should be addressed to the sender.

I don't condone their manner of operating and have a bugbear about couriers in general but please let's stick to facts and take the correct course to remedy things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Fastway are the company that Nespresso use to collect the recycleable coffee pods. You leave the special bag full of pods outside the door once you've notified Nespresso and they arrange collection.
    I think I've had to ring at least once everytime to query why my bag hasn't been collected. They always say that Fastway were supposed to have collected it.

I've actually seen the Fastway van come round my estate and glance towards my house and keep driving. Make what you will of that :(

Advertisement