Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowy Conditions

Options
  • 23-11-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up that 53 Degrees North (Near TK Maxx) are selling Ice Cleats in case of snowy weather in D15.
    http://www.spiky.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Super they look really good. Was only thinking today need something like that.

How much are they op?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

amdublin wrote: »
    Super they look really good. Was only thinking today need something like that.

How much are they op?

They are 35 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

selling those same ones in the great outdoors shop on chatham street just off grafton street

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/index.php?cPath=232_477_643&osCsid=49f467ad775ad83bffed2596ca3f6ca1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm totally like OMG a noob about these. :)

I'm guessing they help you to not fall on yer arse in ice and snow?

Are they good? How do they work? Does brand/what it's made of matter? Is there limits to the footwear they work with?

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    I'm totally like OMG a noob about these. :)

I'm guessing they help you to not fall on yer arse in ice and snow?

Are they good? How do they work? Does brand/what it's made of matter? Is there limits to the footwear they work with?

They have spikes which give a lot more grip on ice. They work very well, so long as you buy the right size. If too big, they simply fall off.

They fit over trainers/shoes and most boots, but not high-heels. Basically, most need a 'lip' at the heel of the shoe so they don't fall off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Lidl have started selling road salt as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

You could fork out 30 - 40 blips for these or you could just wear a normal pair of boots with good grips. I dont see the point if you may only have to use them for one week.

20 quid for a pair to be worn for 5/7 days snowy weather twice a year and thus possibly avioding a fall which could see me paying out the 100 quid fee for A&E and being on crutches and pain meds, I think I'm worth it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

so you could convert a pair of runners into footie boots? Just trying to think of another use of them as we only get snow 2 or 3 days a year at most round these parts.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Lidl have started selling road salt as well.

And de-icer.......

Only larger size Spikeys left in 53 degrees North :(

More will be in stock in about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ugh the thoughts of driving in to work in the morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Anyone know what the forecast for d15 is??

amdublin wrote: »
    Anyone know what the forecast for d15 is??

Miserable.

Dunsink has been showing a temp of -8 degress and the weather is to remain, -3 to +3 until thursday with snow/sleet/rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Apparently the humpback into Castleknock is closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Apparently the humpback into Castleknock is closed.

Where did you hear that?

BostonB wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

Dublin Bus website says 38 not going into Castleknock because the bridge is closed...

Seems to have been removed now, but was there last night!

• Advertisement

After driving around today, I can imagine only the biggiest major roads were open at one point, because even today a lot of the backroads, even in the city center are still impossible if theres a hill.

http://met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp
    Issued at 29 November 2010 - 11:40
    WEATHER ADVISORY
    Heavy snowfalls expected tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night in east Leinster with accumulations of 5-10cm of snow in inland locations and 10-20cm in Counties Louth and Dublin and 15-25cm in County Wicklow.

Valid from: 18:00 29/11/2010
    to: 00:00 01/12/2010

This exceptionally cold weather will continue through the week.
    Night-time temperatures will drop as low as -10C (or lower) and daytime maxima of zero to 4 degrees C.
    Further snow showers will occur with a high risk of significant accumulations in the east.
    Freezing fog also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

You could fork out 30 - 40 blips for these or you could just wear a normal pair of boots with good grips. I dont see the point if you may only have to use them for one week.

Where I'm from (a place with real winters) only elderly people would use these, the rest buy good winter shoes instead. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

As the saying goes,

Theres no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.

Oh and bad tyres.

Anyone know any where to get cleets for tyres. I spent €400 on tyres last week preparing for this and no joy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just been listening to Anton Savage on the radio. He reckons that you don't need to put anything on your tyres. His advice is to reduce the tyre pressure to the lowest end of the range suggested by the manufacturers. This causes the tyre to spread and have more surface in contact with the road. Also because the tyre is softer the rubber moves around more, which creates friction and generates more grip. Not saying you should definitely do this, but it's an alternative solution you might want to look at.

Zaph wrote: »
    Just been listening to Anton Savage on the radio. He reckons that you don't need to put anything on your tyres. His advice is to reduce the tyre pressure to the lowest end of the range suggested by the manufacturers. This causes the tyre to spread and have more surface in contact with the road. Also because the tyre is softer the rubber moves around more, which creates friction and generates more grip. Not saying you should definitely do this, but it's an alternative solution you might want to look at.

Wish I'd known that earlier. My neighbours car was skidding all over the place as he drove onto the road earlier. So I tried to help him out by hammering a few dozen nails into each tyre. I figured these new 'spikes' would give far better grip, but alas, he really didn't appreciate my efforts.

LOL.

Well we had a grit truck in the estate this morning, first time that has happened, it scraped away the top levels of snow and gritted the road behind it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thawed a good bit overnight around here anyway, I could hear the water running into the drains from early morning. Hopefully it will keep thawing.

• Advertisement

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Weather-Disruptions/

39/39A not serving the Hunstown/Hartstown loop inbound but ok outbound.

17A not serving the Blanchardstown Hospital

40D not serving Tyrellstown outbound, inbound ok, not serving the Corporate Parks.

220 Unable to serve the Huntstown/Hartstown Loop towards Ladyswell. OK towards Ballymun.

238 unable to serve Tyrellstown.

Advertisement