Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room temperature for turtles?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Should the room temperature for Musk turtles be kept constantly at the same level? Whats the right temperature of the room for them?
    this will help decide where to place the aquarium this weekend.
    Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It shouldn't be of huge consequence if you have a basking hot spot in their enclosure ?

For most reptiles, between 21C and 28C is usually fine and at least they can use the water in their tank to thermoregulate if the room temperature drops (which is also a natural phenomenon at night time)

I wouldn't be too worried as long as the room doesn't have a massive drop in temperature.

I kept my Hermanns tortoises in my bedroom and used to totally turn the heating off at night without adverse effect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 to tallus' take. I've had all sorts including tropical turtles and ever since I had them I always switched off the heat at night(same time as the light). Even in the tropics the temps can drop a lot at night. Sometimes more than in more temperate areas as far as range of temps that's for sure. Indeed I personally think it may even be slightly detrimental to keep them at a constant temp as it doesnt mimic their wild habitat. As adults they can be extremely hardy. There have even been numerous sightings of sliders who normally like high temps moving about in winter under the ice of frozen ponds. Guys like Blanding's Turtle or the European pond are even hardier.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement