Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours Query

Options
  • 23-11-2010 10:00pm

As many users and mods are aware, since the announcement of the bailout there has been an astronomical amount of threads being created about the recession. This is going to skyrocket even more once the budget gets announced. At the moment the only course of action is to lump them all into a single thread like the one here, which contains 233 posts in 1 day.

Is it time that After Hours was made like if you were posting anonymously on Personal Issues, the Ladies Lounge where the mods of that forum or the admins themselves have to OK posts before they appear?

The sad fact of the matter is that no matter how many times you tell people where to post, they just simply won't do it.

As an alternative to this, is it possible to develop filters which look out for keywords (recession, bailout, IMF etc etc) and works in the same way - where a mod will have to OK it before it appears on screen?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is it time that After Hours was made like if you were posting anonymously on Personal Issues, the Ladies Lounge where the mods of that forum or the admins themselves have to OK posts before they appear?

No way. That would be way too much work.
    As an alternative to this, is it possible to develop filters which look out for keywords (recession, bailout, IMF etc etc) and works in the same way - where a mod will have to OK it before it appears on screen?

I'm pretty sure that isn't possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Pre moderate AH? Good heavens. I think the mega locked thread is a good idea, there are currently enough threads running to satisfy the insatiables as it is and its less work for the mods too in the long run. From what I have seen from the locked threads, they are all mostly the same topic with a slightly different slant that hardly warrants spamming AH with.
    If it's only been a day with the mega lock, then the regulars will learn soon enough. The rest will learn after. Or die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that, I think the locked thread approach is tidying up AH nicely. Its great to see some of the other general irrelevant observations on daily life threads shining through once more from the dirt of doom & gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

What would, or could, work, I think, is a filter system similar to what we see in Site Development. You select the thread prefix you wish to filter on (it would be cool if you could also exclude by filter - so all threads except ones prefixed "Recession").

I don't know if that's on the developers' plates or is even possible to apply retroactively to a pre-existing forum. This would also be useful during other times (like World Cups) where After Hours has to accomodate the general populace's increasing but temporary interest in a particular topic as all you would have to do is add another filter.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Having seen it in action, thread filters 'uglyify' a forum.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

5starpool wrote: »
    Having seen it in action, thread filters 'uglyify' a forum.

Not when they're hidden, like in the soccer forum, surely?

I don't think filters would work in AH though. Can threads be recycle-binned instead of locking them as they leave an awful mess as is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Not when they're hidden, like in the soccer forum, surely?

I don't think filters would work in AH though. Can threads be recycle-binned instead of locking them as they leave an awful mess as is?

Thats the point of the thread linked in the OP. Threads get locked and merged in there at the moment to declutter the front page. Looking at it now, stickies aside, two locked threads and much less of the flood of economy / politics threads in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i think the lads are doing a great job as it is now with the mega-lock, nice to see AH has lost it's uncanny resemblance to the politics forum!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Thats the point of the thread linked in the OP. Threads get locked and merged in there at the moment to declutter the front page. Looking at it now, stickies aside, two locked threads and much less of the flood of economy / politics threads in there.

Sound. If you can just get rid of the visible redirects... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I'll agree with the OP to the point that all these threads should come with a health warning "May cause eye cancer"

Generally i just avoid reading them. Some of the threads are so repatitive and lacking any sence the OP's should be bet with a ball of their own shite

I think AC or someone else said it before, AH is flavour of the month threads, when this hot isse goes, it will be something else.

I think AH is due an influx of Nigerian dole threads. :/

I tend to wade through the junk and post in the ones im interested in.

Advertisement