Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ActiveCell in Excel Trouble - Multiple References

Options
  • 23-11-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I am currently doing up a spreadsheet to do some data processing and as part of the data processing I am applying filters to the data. The windows of the filters can have variable sizes of say 'n' so I thought it would be best to create a userdefined function of the format "Function UserDefFun(n As Integer)".

Within my code I access the save the ActiveCell.Row, then I cycle back through "n" rows as part of the windowing process using the offset function. Unfortunately although this works for a single cell, when I place the same function in multiple cells it fails.

What appears to be happening is that there is a conflict in using ActiveCell.Row many times and as such depending on where I place the cursor when doing "Recalculate All" I get a different answer each time.
    I would be grateful if anyone has an solution to this problem or can point me in the right direction.
    Function GMAUDF(n_days As Integer, alph As Single)
        '
        ' Geometric Moving Average
        '
        Application.Volatile (True)
        Dim tally As Single
        Dim tot As Single
        Dim interm As Integer
        Dim i As Integer
        Dim actrow As Integer
        tally = 0
        tot = 0
        actrow = ActiveCell.Row

For i = 1 To n_days
            interm = -1 * i
            tally = tally + (alph ^ (n_days - i)) * Cells(actrow, 6).Offset(interm, 0)
            tot = tot + alph ^ (n_days - i)
        Next i

GMAUDF = tally / tot
    End Function

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

And now i remember why it is sometimes best to leave a problem and go back to it.

I fixed it by just taking the lazy option and throwing in another argument and having that argument being the cell I want to reference for the offsetting.

Thanks all!

Advertisement