Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building my first PC

Options
  • 23-11-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey guys,

So my computer's now been out-dated and I've decided to build my own computer instead of just buying one and upgrading it as I go.

I've been shopping around and here's what I've picked out.

Motherboard:
    ASUS M4A89GTD Socket-AM3
    €119.95

Processor:
    AMD Black Edition - Phenom II X4 965
    €145

RAM:
    4x Unbranded 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz
    €63.46

HDD:
    1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200rpm
    €57

Graphics Card:
    Asus GeForce GTS450
    €124.95

Case:
    NZXT Classic Series M59
    €69.95

PSU:
    Unbranded 700W
    €39.49

So I'm wondering, will I have any compatibility issues with any of that?
    Also, will that motherboard fit correctly into that case?
    And, does anyone know of any better prices than that?

Also, does anyone know any better alternative parts?
    I'm mainly going to be doing a lot of multi-tasking on this computer, and I'll also be doing a small amount of gaming.
    I'm looking to keep my budget under €700

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
    Blazr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Rule 1, never skimp on the PSU...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Maxpv

Rule 1, never skimp on the PSU...
    What would you recommend I get?

And why do you say that, is it because I should get 1000W, or that I should get a proper brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Blazr wrote: »
    What would you recommend I get?

And why do you say that, is it because I should get 1000W, or that I should get a proper brand?

OCZ/Corsair were tops last I checked...

get a proper brand - It's the most important part of a system, otherwise you run the risk of blowing components, PSU failure or getting a sub-standard PSU. A crap one could go and take the whole rig with it...

OCZ/Corsair were tops last I checked...

get a proper brand - It's the most important part of a system, otherwise you run the risk of blowing components, PSU failure or getting a sub-standard PSU. A crap one could go and take the whole rig with it...

A very good point, yeah I think I'll definitely pay the extra bit to get the proper brand PSU.
    Thanks for your help mate!

EDIT: Just checked my PSU I planned on getting and it turns out to be EVO LABS 700W, never heard of the brand, anyone got any experience with this brand?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What resolution monitor do you have? And do you need a new OS with that?

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    What resolution monitor do you have?
    I have a dual monitor setup.
    a 22" at 1680x1050
    a 19" at 1280x1024
    And do you need a new OS with that?
    I stopped using Windows about 5 years ago, I'm a Linux fanboy now :) So no, I don't need a new OS, all I need is my trusty Boot CD.

Will you be doing any gaming or CUDA-based apps at all then?!? No point getting a GTS450 if all you want to do is drive two monitors! :o:p

Will you be doing any gaming or CUDA-based apps at all then?!? No point getting a GTS450 if all you want to do is drive two monitors! :o:p

Lol, yes I will be gaming, not the main thing I will be doing, but I want a good graphics card.

Do you need a DVD drive?

Do you need a DVD drive?
    Already have a few spare of them :D
    In actual fact I could probably build an entire PC with all of the parts I have lying around.

• Advertisement

Are any of them SATA?

Already made this out anyway :p €635 shipped, cheap (but good) case and comes with a SATA DVD and two extra (decent) fans :)

HWVS231110.png

Suffice to say that this will utterly demolish your earlier build :o:D And the PSU won't explode either! :P

Advertisement