Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best/Worst Audio output from Radio Stations

• 23-11-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

I was heading home this evening in the traffic channel surfing and I couldn't notice how poor LMFM's audio is. Its shocking. Is there any reason why it sounds mono "ish":confused:

On a more positive note FM104 and Spin1038 are sounding pretty good this weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Travismccoy

FM104 have deffo changed their audio processor recently... I'm guessing they've gone away from Omnia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I don't detect a huge improvement to FM104s audio, contrary to what a lot of ppl say. I reckon it still sounds like an Omnia preset.
    LMFM have quite different audio on their 2 main frequencies. Open to correction, but is one an Omnia and the other an Optimod. I know that one transmitter used to suffer from link problems so this may be relevant. Perhaps it drops to mono at times.

Fuzzy your ears must be fuzzy so. If you can't notice the clarity and lack of distortion you haven't a clue about audio.

Fuzzy your ears must be fuzzy so. If you can't notice the clarity and lack of distortion you haven't a clue about audio.
    :rolleyes:

Since you're in an area you seem to be unfamilar with, I'll educate you. Omnia have pre-sets which can be selected/modified as required. It is possible to get an Omnia to sound like an Orban
    Just because it sounds different, does not mean that they have moved away from Omnia, although they may have. I won't baffle you with the details.

I won't take your comment about me to heart. The only ones that matter to me are those from people in the industry who value my knowledge.

To keep on topic, the worst audio I've heard on a local station has to be Midlands Gold opt-out. Sounds like a poor bit rate mp3 stream. Think its no longer on air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Travis McCoy you are warned about abusing other members on the forum please keep the discussion to the topic at hand.

• Advertisement

Sorry lads I'm not letting this one go. If you cannot tell the difference between 104 a few months ago and now you have ZERO right to question whether I need to be educated by your good self, blatant arrogance on your part to come out with that stuff when you're clearly wrong on this one.

I hope someone from 104 comes along to take you down a peg and tell you what they're using. Their audio was brutal for years and the difference is as clear as day there's no way in hope it's an Omnia still.

If I am wrong then i am wrong. :)
    You can't tell me what I have noticed or not noticed, can you?

Why do you insist that "there's no way in hope it's an Omnia still" ? By your own admission, you don't actually know what they are using.

I think you missed this part of my last post;
    "Just because it sounds different, does not mean that they have moved away from Omnia, although they may have."

I'm been a bit arrogant here because I'v used an Omnia and I'm aware of what it's capable of. It can be tailored to sound much better than the presets.

Regardless, 104 came in for some severe criticism some years back over their audio and they improved it no end.
    I haven't noticed much difference recently. Maybe a small bit only. On a good stereo system, it still sounds way over processed. Very fatiguing on the ear and very mid range-ish. That's been the trademark sound of 104 for many years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

Lyric FM have best audio quality by far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

Phantom and Nova. Wide and ballsy. (is ballsy a word?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

104 changed to an Optimod a few months ago so no more distortion. :)

• Advertisement

bkehoe wrote: »
    104 changed to an Optimod a few months ago so no more distortion. :)
    Any idea which model?
    Is it the 8600?

Interesting comment about no more distortion as it's possible to have no (noticeable) distortion with Omnia. Just takes a bit of work.

well I've never heard an Omnia sound good.. even Z100 didn't sound great. Loud yes, that's about it. 104 are pushing maybe a little bit too much now but it sounded way nicer than 98 a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Any idea which model?
    Is it the 8600?

8500 I think

Advertisement