Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for slip covers for sofa?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

any idea where I might get some at a resonable price?
    2 quotes I got too date are very high.
    Sofa destroyed from cats, kids, dog, ....
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

It does cost a fortune to get slip covers for ones sofa. Folk don't understand that for an upholsterer to make a loose cover is the same work as a recovering the sofa and yer talking €700 labour alone for a small suite!! (it is a weeks work, that's the cheapest quote ever, it's often around the €1,000 mark)

Anyway, I ordered mine from the States pre-made a few years back with The Slip cover shop. They were the only company who shipped to Ireland!! It costed me less than €250 quid to cover my suite!! That's one love seat and two armchairs, in cream Calico. I can't remember what shipping was, but I remember it okay...maybe less than €50. Over all it was fantastic value. Best buy ever!! They're machine washable, I've spilt wine on them (red) and fired them straight into the washing machine, dont' let red wine sit or it will stain permenantly. They came out fine.

Anyway, be warned, if you buy something large like that abroad, you'll get a bill in the post from customs to pay VAT about a month later. My bill was around €60.

I hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Would it cost much to get a 'leather' sofa recovered/reupholstered? Have a rip in my two seater...

The short answer is yes. I think the labour to cover a sofa is half a weeks work. If you take that's a skilled tradesman with the overheads of a workshop to pay.. at least €400 labour alone, although it can vary.

As for leather, it is an expensive material. The cheapest upholstery fabric can be about €25 per meter. A medium price would be about €40 and the sky's the limit.... you can pay well over €145 per meter. I'm trying to remember how much fabric I had to buy when I was covering my sofa. I think it was 7 meters for my two seater.

I guess what I'm saying is, prepare yourself for a big quote. It depends on the material and the upholsterer (a sole trader or a factory with big overheads)... anything from €600 to €1100 easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

IKEA do great slip covers for all types of sofas.I got one there a few months ago for e60 and it fits my sofa really well.There is a man in Monivea area who recovers furniture and as far as I know he is very reasonable.Will get details and post them.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

hamlet1 wrote: »
    IKEA do great slip covers for all types of sofas.I got one there a few months ago for e60 and it fits my sofa really well.There is a man in Monivea area who recovers furniture and as far as I know he is very reasonable.Will get details and post them.

thanks. what are the key measurements you'd need to take for a sofa to meaure up for a slip cover?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

holly8 wrote: »
    thanks. what are the key measurements you'd need to take for a sofa to meaure up for a slip cover?
    sorry for delay in replying.i didnt actually take any measurements because my sofa was identical to a sofa in the IKEA brochure and it was easy to get a cover to fit it.check out their brochure and you could be lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PIMP MASTER P

Hi, if you are interested I make sofas and I have a very comfortable 3+1+1 in stock and it has fully removable covers, was €1895 but as its a floor model I am looking €999, and I'd give you an extra set of covers into the deal, and you can always get new covers in years to come. Forget the sofa slip covers they would be a pain in the ass to sit on, sweaty in summer and cold in winter. If you want I can forward pictures.
    Cheers
    Paul.

Hi, if you are interested I make sofas and I have a very comfortable 3+1+1 in stock and it has fully removable covers, was €1895 but as its a floor model I am looking €999, and I'd give you an extra set of covers into the deal, and you can always get new covers in years to come. Forget the sofa slip covers they would be a pain in the ass to sit on, sweaty in summer and cold in winter. If you want I can forward pictures.
    Cheers
    Paul.

Paul, I think you've things a bit mixed up... One persons looking for slip covers in this post. Another poster was asking about re-upholstering a leather sofa, not putting a slipcover on it (I think you thought the person with the leather sofa was going to put slipcovers over it or something).

Slip covers are not sweaty in summer and cold in winter in my experience, actually, that sounds like a really odd statement!:confused:

Advertisement