Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Redirecting Every Site

• 23-11-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

Just got home there and went to turn on the internet when I realised every site I go to is getting redirected to some random UPC page. If you look at the image then you can see that the url bar has www.google.ie/selfcare/ and it is a UPC page. This is the same no matter what page I goto. If I goto boards.ie it will redirect to www.boards.ie/selfcare and I get the same page(I am using my o2 backup connection at the moment) It is obviously something got to do with DNS but I have tried changing my DNS servers and resetting my router to no avail. Anyone had anything similar happeh and/or have any ideas.

John.

upc.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

clearz wrote: »
    Just got home there and went to turn on the internet when I realised every site I go to is getting redirected to some random UPC page. If you look at the image then you can see that the url bar has www.google.ie/selfcare/ and it is a UPC page. This is the same no matter what page I goto. If I goto boards.ie it will redirect to www.boards.ie/selfcare and I get the same page(I am using my o2 backup connection at the moment) It is obviously something got to do with DNS but I have tried changing my DNS servers and resetting my router to no avail. Anyone had anything similar happeh and/or have any ideas.

John.

upc.png
    looking at your internet picture i see it show upc poor ratings boards.ie then a second page upc high speed internet.when you click on upc poor rating does it show the page.I have something like that on my laptop the page im looking at and acer home page allways pops up as a second page.I dont know how to fix it but would nt mind finding out a quick fix as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

No that was just me surfing boards looking if anyone reported the same problem today before making my post.
    I just got off the phone with customer support and they told me that this is a known issue and it will take 24-48 hours to fix. Just great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

rob808 wrote: »
    I have something like that on my laptop the page im looking at and acer home page allways pops up as a second page.I dont know how to fix it but would nt mind finding out a quick fix as well.

Go into Internet options and set your home page to one tab. There is prob two address in the space provided just delete the Acer one and your problem will be solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Go into Internet options and set your home page to one tab. There is prob two address in the space provided just delete the Acer one and your problem will be solved.
    cool thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just had this happen to me a few minutes ago. Was intermittent to start with then after a while all URL's started loading that selfcare crap. Restarted the modem and it seems to working now but as to whether it was the restart that fixed it or something at their end I dont know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

Possibly a new(or existing) pay-for feature which "keeps you secure!" by making every website you visit https by redirecting you.
    Saves you typing https://www. before you type goo and press tab

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well selfcare is a online billing platform, sounds like its on the fritz in relation to the UPC account in question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

After looking at a vpc that had been suspended while it happened it seems the issue was the DNS servers had been changed for some reason. It would have been pushed out by the router as all connected machines were hit by it. My guess is that had I been using OpenDNS or some similar setup it probably wouldnt have effected me since boards was working for a while when other sites werent (I'm guessing my browser just used the cached record for that) so it was just lookup problems rather than connections actually being blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I recently got this when I had the phone service installed and they changed my modem. I rang up UPC and they just said to unplug the modem for 10 seconds and plug it back in. Worked just fine and this annoying redirect went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 martinjr

In a nutshell, this is the problem and the solution according to my experience in helping with an installation today. If modem/router is replaced arising from cable from outside box to inside house (cable tv) replacement then the details of the MAC address at the service provider's (server) end are incorrect and need to be replaced. In other words the service providers need to re-do setup to ensure the mac address (bottom of the modem router) are identical at client and server ends (i.e., at service provider and customer ends). Solved this problem anyway.

I hope this helps someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i only get this page when goin gto facebook on my phone. the link works when using my 3g onnection or other broadband connections. any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

ted1 wrote: »
    i only get this page when goin gto facebook on my phone. the link works when using my 3g onnection or other broadband connections. any ideas??

Its either a DNS issue, or a provisioning issue. If its DNS, set your DNS addresses to Googles DNS servers, 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

If its a provisioning issue, then you'll have to call UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Got a new UPC modem today (first time user switching from Eircom) and this is all I get. Redirected :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As already explained in the thread, you need to contact UPC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement