Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible to get inside factory etc for photos?

• 23-11-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was watching a documentary on tv and it showed the inside of a bottled water factory. Looks like you'd get a lot of great photos (production line, patterns, abstracts etc) and different than your standard shots- about town etc.

Does anyone know if factories etc would be open to leaving an ameteur (or a group) in to take photos? Has anyone ever done this, if so how did you go about it etc.?

It'd be a great 'photowalk', interesting and could be good publicity for the company as well. (I'm in Galway)

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

In my last job you'd have absolutely no hope and possibly the same with a lot of other factories too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

One way to find out tbh - ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I know it's a long shot- security, competitors etc. but would be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

yeah I'd say insurance would be a big factor too. Knowing someone high up would probably really help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I was once inside the C&C factory in Dublin about 2-3 years ago before I had a camera. Thinking about it now, it would make for some pretty cool pics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Id say your best option would be an abandoned/closed factory.

This website below is really fascinating, especially the threads on the old rover factory
    http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=9749

Galway Crystal don't do tours anymore.
    I'm going to keep looking into it and if anywhere says yes I'll see if anyone else here is intersted in joining me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why not ask a company if you could do photos for them - in a kind of swap deal - you have access to whatever and they get pics of their factory (would also allow you to make connections with the bosses - for when they need a photographer)

of course - if they call and ask you to do a job - make sure you discuss a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

not sure about factories , but if one could get inside the old connacht laundry building in galway city might be some good shots ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I was once inside the C&C factory in Dublin about 2-3 years ago before I had a camera. Thinking about it now, it would make for some pretty cool pics

Did you get any C&C on the photos ?

• Advertisement

goods wrote: »
    not sure about factories , but if one could get inside the old connacht laundry building in galway city might be some good shots ,

Cheers, i'll look into it.
    Picture of it from the outside here. I never knew it existed before.

Abandoned hospital photos-here (not in Galway)

I've e-mailed the Galway Advertiser and Independent so hopefully will get at least 1 reply-

This is an open request to any business in the Greater Galway region to kindly allow a small group of amateur photographers onsite to take photographs. All pictures taken would be for personal/non-commercial use and your business could use any of the photographs if you wish.
    The thinking behind this request is that it would be a great one-off chance to visit a location that isn't normally accessible to the public and that a lot of locations (plants, production lines, factories, warehouses etc) should offer a very wide range of interesting photographic opportunities.

If your business might be interested please contact me to discuss further.

Thanks in advance,
    Patrick Dinneen

Neither The Galway Independent or Galway Advertiser printerd my letter- BOO!

update- looks like the Galway Advertiser will publish my letter. The Independent won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Wouldn't it be a lot less hassle just to email a few factories in the area instead of having to go through the press?

kensutz wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be a lot less hassle just to email a few factories in the area instead of having to go through the press?
    I have already phoned a few places but this avenue might yield a surprise result.

I'd just contact the factories directly, to be honest.

I did a little factory work before, and I reckon, depending on the kinda factory (what they produce, etc.) you should be ok to take a few shots or wander about on your own for a little while.

That said, I don't think you've any hope whatsoever, once you mention a "group" of photographers. One bloke going around on his own seems OK. More than one and you have the potential for messing, acting the bollocks and getting in people's way a lot.

That's just my own take on it, mind you.

I'd send a few letters or emails and include a link to your photoblog/Flickr so they can see you're actually interested in photography and not trying to unearth some scandal in the factory :pac:

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

The coca cola plant could be an option maybe? I know they used to do kids tours around the place when i was in school. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

If anyone wants to get access to HP to see the Ink cartridges etc I can probably get you a camera pass for a day and stay with you?

Just drop me a PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Another note on this Lieber are a crane making factory near Killarney Co. Kerry. they have an open day during the summer some time afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Tara mines have an open day every ten years are so... Last one was three or four years ago so you might be waiting a while...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Boradriver

goods wrote: »

I just stumbled upon this thread, I'd love to get into the old Connacht Court site in Galway myself, I used to go there as a kid. My Dad was a Connacht Court driver for 24 years based in Limerick but we used to go to the Galway depot every now and again for new Trucks (The new ones were always prepped in Galway before being put into service in other depots). I used to love going to the depot on Henry Street, there was always something about that building that intrigued me, it had a character new industrial units never had, I think a lot of it had to do with the fact it was a building that was constantly being expanded since the 1950's, there was so much built onto it over the years. I missed the chance to visit the site once more when I started working for Connacht Court in 2007, I started in June 2007, one week before it was shut down for good. Anytime I'm in Galway, I still try and drive along Henry Street to see the place still sitting there, nothing has changed since it was shut down. I've since left the company and my Dad has also. Anyway, that place would be a goldmine for photos, so many memories for me that id want to spend a whole weekend in that place. I'd be absolutely delighted to spend some time up there with a camera and highly recommend getting in there if you get a chance, I'd jump at the opportunity. Sherry Fitzgerald have the site for sale currently, it'd be great if they let you in to see the place. Sorry my post is so long winded, it's just that place brings back great memories for me. Post back here if you ever get a chance to get in there & let me know how you got on :)

Advertisement