Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multi LNB or motor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Multi LNB will be the way to go, doesn't matter what way the LNB's are connected to the Diseqc switch as you will program the receiver accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I agree multi lnb the way to go. Easier to set up and instant channel change.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

Thanks for the replies, I'll go for the multi LNB.
    Is there one sat that I should look to align first, maybe the weekest one?
    Also and I know I'm getting greedy now, but would it be ok if I used a HD LNB for the 28 East sat (to get BBC HD and ITV HD etc)?

limpdd wrote: »
    but would it be ok if I used a HD LNB for the 28 East sat (to get BBC HD and ITV HD etc)?

No such thing as a HD lnb, any standard LNB will get you HD. The bracket you linked to will get you astra 1, astra2/eurobird and hotbird if you wish but bear in mind it will only work correctly with a triax dish from the TD range 78/88.

Tony wrote: »
    but bear in mind it will only work correctly with a triax dish from the TD range 78/88.

Sorry to be a little stupid :-) but is this because it will only physically fit with this dish or is there aa different reason?

• Advertisement

It's the physicial fit as well as the design of the dish, might well work if you had some way to clamp it but a lot of hard work without perhaps getting the result you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a larger size dish with strong brackets as the multi-LNB is more weight and you need more signal.

So a Triax TD 78/88 is Minimum. I have a Triax 90/95 (slightly taller than wide, which gives improved performance on standard circular shape LNBs). It takes the standard Triax bracket also.
    134102.png
    28E ---- 19E -- 13E - 9E
    Dish aligned without bracket at 16E and the bracket re-drilled so the very strong 28E is more offset. Note that Most Eastern LNB is on the West side and the lowest elevation is highest LNB due to "mirror" reflection on both axis by dish.

If using the bracket with existing center hole, then maybe align on 23.5E or 19E so that the 28E is still in "range", not on 16E.

Mount bracket so curve faces dish
             \
              |
    (         |
              |
             /		    

Mount it the opposite way up to drawing as the tilt needed for 28E to 13E is much more here than in France / Germany and the "normal" mount doesn't allow the 28.2E end to rise enough.
    (see picture).

The further from the centre/arm position on the bar, the less effective (lower gain) the signal is. So usually the dish is aligned on the weakest signal. the 28E Astra 2A, 2B and Eurobird are about same strength as Astra 2D in Waterford (50cm would work) but are much weaker in Kerry, West Cork, Donegal, progressively in parts of Mayo/Sligo. In those areas you need a 80cm dish to have same rain margin on 28E Astra 2A, 2B and Eurobird as 65cm would give on Astra 2D.

So East a 78cm Triax will do, Midwest /Shannon Basin/Cork a 88cm and in far West / North West/South West a Triax 90/95. Or even the Triax 110cm if you are feeding a distribution system. I think the Triax 110cm takes same fitting, but not 100% sure!

The slightly higher motorised dish is Triax 110cm
    Same Triax 90/95 with 4 x Quattro at front.

134104.png

It takes a while for the Motor to get from 42E to 45W :) The multifeed setup in contrast is instant and feeds up to 16 tuners. 28E on port 1 (AA) so that Sky boxes work.

Ok so i'm gonna go with a I have a Triax 90/95 and set it up for 28E -- 19E -- 13E.
    I was told that the irish digital service (saorsat) is goning to be on 9E but I might need a different LNB for this, is that true? and if so what kind of LNB is needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A Single output Ka-Band LNBF. We don't which band & polarity yet for Irish spot (everything on a particular will be on same band and polarity). I'd not get an LNB for Ka-Sat till April 2011 at earliest.

Advertisement