Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for Atheists

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Do we really need to make this another thread about midlandsmissus?

We've been down this road before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

That depends on how much fuel she decides to add to the fire...

In fairness, Mid, you came here looking for validation for your god and no one is buying it (rightly so). There are probably other places on the net that would agree with your personal definition, but you have to accept that here, some peoples’ opinion of you, based on your posts, is that you’re insane.

It’s natural to feel hurt and play the victim card but sure, it’s only opinions, right? If you do indeed create your own world, then why even let it phase you? Is it because deep down you want others to see your point of view as being valid? Sorry, it doesn’t work that way. Try again. And anything to do with, or based on The Secret / What The Bleep Do We Know? is just plain wishful/deluded thinking. Instead of blindly believing in these things, why not (for the craic) try watching some youtube videos that debunk them and see what you think. You have nothing to lose.

Here's one to get you started:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlPiXNlhKFo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

liamw, Wicknight and Strobe I'll come back and answer your questions when I have a little bit more time.

To answer MagicMarker's question above, I've thought about it and these are my honest answers:

a) No
    b) I think thoughts have power. What we think so we receive.
    c) No
    d) Yes, but to an extent. Is there but is also here, as us.
    e) No
    f) I think we created the universe.
    g) No
    h) No.

My views are definitely not entirely unique, but neither are yours, obviously other atheists and books on atheism have influence you, as different sources have with me.

I think you are selling yourself short there. Your views, if anything, are unique, at least to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Dades wrote: »
    Do we really need to make this another thread about midlandsmissus?

We've been down this road before.

:pac: This is true. But in fairness, she is the instigator every time. I have my own thoughts on why that is, I'm sure others would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

As I'm on mobile web, I can't see who the three people are who thanked this. Hopefully it's not anyone I respect as I'll be hugely dissapointed. There are numerous people I don't agree with what on here but I have never resorted to calling anyone insane. Apart from anything else, a very childish and immature argument would you say? Zillah I would have expected more from you. I've posted on here for a long time, and talked to you on many occasions, I can't believe you said that to me. I could easily report this post and get it removed for personal abuse, but I think I'll let it stand in its ignorance.

Hey don't get me wrong, my intention isn't to upset you or anything. But...c'mon, you're saying you think that our thoughts control/create the universe. That's pretty insane I have to say. You can't have thought that we'd say anything else? You're saying the universe is magic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

To the question, Is your god divine..? The answer was....
    e) No

Em, forgive the pedantry, but if your god isn't divine, it's not a god.

As for the description of this personal god of midlandmissus, there is of course nothing in existence to back any of this up. But then the same can be said of every other imaginary god out there, it's just the latest in a long line of people sitting around, trying to work sh1t out, trying to fathom the mysteries of the universe, and simply making stuff up when the real answers prove too elusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Midlandmissus, your "god" doesn't watch over us, doesn't answer our prayers, doesn't work in mysterious ways, isn't divine, didn't create the universe, isn't omniscient and doesn't punish the bad.
    So, em, I guess my question is what does your god do? (and remember, you said your god doesn't work in mysterious ways, so it should be simple things, yes?)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Midlandmissus, your "god" doesn't watch over us, doesn't answer our prayers, doesn't work in mysterious ways, isn't divine, didn't create the universe, isn't omniscient and doesn't punish the bad.
    So, em, I guess my question is what does your god do?

Behold, God!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

f) I think we created the universe.

I needed a laugh, that did it splendidly, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

b) I think thoughts have power. What we think so we receive.

You could be onto something there:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

To take a little break from the whole midlandmissus back and forth, I just want to congratulate ColmDawson on his excellent paint work here. It certainly generated the luls if not anything else :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Jakkass wrote: »
    To take a little break from the whole midlandmissus back and forth, I just want to congratulate ColmDawson on his excellent paint work here. It certainly generated the luls if not anything else :pac:
    I wish I could take the credit for that, but that was the work of this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

That is so disappointing. I actually laughed at that. Even so, excellently placed to say the least! :p

Advertisement