Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for Atheists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

You're making claims which rely on God not existing (like claiming there are falsehoods, etc). IF you're going to make that kind of claim, you'll need to support it. Which you NEVER did. And then you talked about burden of proof to make things worse.
    You're assuming that he made that post, and that we're not all just figments of your imagination toying with you as you drool in the corner of your cage on the alien world of MTifasdf*erwEAfrcx'8asdfae8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

That'd be a great argument only it's for a point I never made. I never said anything like not talking about God whatsoever.
    You didn't make a point at all if we are getting picky. You asked a question. "Why do atheists talk about god" I answered it. "because god=religion to many people and religion has a huge effect on the world". Really, if people are going to have to explain your own posts to you and then repeat their own answers every post this is going to take a really, really long time and will go nowhere productive.
    Yet you'd like to think they're one of the same, factually.

Yes I believe they are the same in terms of them both being, for all intents and purposes unfalsifiable but having no meaningful supporting evidence. I outlined the difference in why one would be talked about but the other wouldn't. Re-read my previous post for the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sebastian4jc

mikhail wrote: »
    You're assuming that he made that post, and that we're not all just figments of your imagination toying with you as you drool in the corner of your cage on the alien world of MTifasdf*erwEAfrcx'8asdfae8.

See, I never made the claim that you're making now. Talk about missing the point.
    strobe wrote:
    You didn't make an argument at all if we are getting picky. You asked a question.
    Well it seems that you want to get picky regardless, and if you are, at least get it right. I asked multiple questions. See in the title... I used the plural, multiple questions in the opening post too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You're making claims which rely on God not existing (like claiming there are falsehoods, etc). IF you're going to make that kind of claim, you'll need to support it. Which you NEVER did. And then you talked about burden of proof to make things worse.

Ok, I'll keep this simple: Prove that unicorns don't exist.

If you cannot do this RIGHT NOW, then you are absolutely wrong to ever behave as if unicorns do not exist.

Zillah wrote: »
    Ok, I'll keep this simple: Prove that unicorns don't exist.

If you cannot do this RIGHT NOW, then you are absolutely wrong to ever behave as if unicorns do not exist.

I do not make claims like "unicorns are a falsehood" or unicorns don't exist. They might exist, but I think that the probability of this is rather low.

• Advertisement

See, I never made the claim that you're making now. Talk about missing the point. Well it seems that you want to get picky regardless, and if you are, at least get it right. I asked multiple questions. See in the title... I used the plural, multiple questions in the opening post too.

.....and I addressed them all. You made the claim that the reason atheists talk about god is because they secretly believe in him, at least that was your implication. You have been corrected many times over by many different people in regards to that. We have explained why we would be inclined to talk about god/religion. Do you have any specific questions or statements to make on our actual replies or would you prefer to continue employing the classic "nanananana I can't hear you" debating technique?

I do not make claims like "unicorns are a falsehood" or unicorns don't exist. They might exist, but I think that the probability of this is rather low.

Ok, I'll try to break this down another tier for you:

Earlier I mentioned Alien-Lizards. They live inside people's brains and telepathically send messages to each other and secretly control the world.

Do you believe in these Alien-Lizards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sebastian, don't be so upset that people disagree with you.

strobe wrote: »
    .....and I addressed them all.

...and you like stating the obvious too. You guys should all form a group or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

So you are agnostic where unicorns are concerned.

• Advertisement

...and you like stating the obvious too. You guys should all form a group or something.

We already have several. You keep stating the obvious! Jeez.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Hurrah!
    You now understand atheism.
    Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

You guys should all form a group or something.

What, loike, a forum for religious skeptics? :pac:

Best evidence for the lack of a god is the fact that even the most fervent theist can't put forward any more evidence for their god than the scottish tourist board can for Nessie.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭fudgez

I think the OP (trolly trollly troll) has been fed enough for one night lads and propose we answer the rest of his questions with sandwich recipes so he can learn to eat people food :)

Ham and Cheese

So you are a unicorn agnostic atheist? Well we are god agnostic atheists.

If 90%+ of the primary schools in this country were controlled by people that believed in unicorns, and the belief in unicorns and a moral system derived from a book written thousands of years ago by a tribe of people who thought unicorns were in watching their every move and therefore they should guess what the unicorns wanted them to do and do those things was thought to those children......

If people were murdering each other because they thought the green unicorns hated people that worshiped the pink unicorns......

If the some of the most powerful men in the world who controlled the largest militaries in the world openly admitted they wished to do the will of the unicorns above all else.....

If the people who were regarded as having authority bestowed on them by the unicorns were raping children and stealing and encouraging smashing peoples heads in with stones....

Do you think you might occasionally engage in discussion about these unicorns and the people that believe in them? Do you think you might talk about the beliefs these unicorn followers professed and wished to apply to all of mankind? Even though you thought the probability of unicorns existing was really really low?

What, loike, a forum for religious skeptics? :pac:

Best evidence for the lack of a god is the fact that even the most fervent theist can't put forward any more evidence for their god than the scottish tourist board can for Nessie.

No. A place were you can all go and state the obious and think you're clever so this discussion can go on unhindered. So by your reasoning, lack of evidence seems to translate into evidence. *slow claps*

No. A place were you can all go and state the obious and think you're clever so this discussion can go on unhindered. So by your reasoning, lack of evidence seems to translate into evidence. *slow claps*

Turkey and stuffing

fudgez wrote: »
    I think the OP (trolly trollly troll) has been fed enough for one night lads and propose we answer the rest of his questions with sandwich recipes so he can learn to eat people food :)

Ham and Cheese

oh oh...
    Nutella!

Tartine_et_pot_de_Nutella.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

sebastian4jc I will conceed that your Judaic God known as JVH exsists,
    but that doesn't give him dibs on me or my soul.

fudgez wrote: »
    Turkey and stuffing

Yet again we have another person resorting to spewing offtopic nonsense in here. strobe: atheism refers to, by a definition your peers accept, as a lack of belief in God. God is not the same as unicorns, sorry.

• Advertisement

God is not the same as unicorns, sorry.

Yes it is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

God is not the same as unicorns.

Which god and why?

Yet again we have another person resorting to spewing offtopic nonsense in here. strobe: atheism refers to, by a definition your peers accept, as a lack of belief in God. God is not the same as unicorns, sorry.

My heart bleeds for you Sebastian but I believe we have answered your questions in depth. Unless you have further questions all I can offer to satisfy your hunger is sandwich recommendations...

Have you tried a good Strawberry Jam? delicious

I DON'T HAVE ANY BREAD! This is cruel and unusual, I want a sandwich now.

Do you believe in unicorns? You either believe in them or lack a belief in them. Which is it?

You have made a common mistake in presuming atheism and agnosticism are mutually exclusive when this is not the case. (A)theism dealing with belief {in deities} and (A)gnosticism dealing with knowlege {of the existence of deities in this case}.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology
    =========================================================

Grilled cheese and peanut butter {don't judge me}

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Which god and why?
    The God that created the universe. Because a unicorn is not a God.

double-down-1.jpg

Well I say it is and I should know, I've followed a few.

Chicken, bacon and lettuce with honey mustard dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Says who?

Edit: I can't believe I'm getting sucked in .. give me patience.

• Advertisement

Swap universe for rainbows and there you go.

Advertisement