Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for Atheists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Zillah wrote: »
    Prove it.

Deli ham, rocket, tomato and a dash of sweet chili sauce.

Because a unicorn if it existed would have been a material living creature that would have left fossil remains of its existence, God on the other hand is immaterial

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭fudgez

I hate it when atheists say the reason they are so against religion and God is because its the cause of alot of wars and killings throughout the years however this is not God or religions fault its the flaw of being a human being, I mean a gun can't kill a person on its own.

People have fought killed over a lot of different things including religion

How about

Money
    Power
    Sport
    Government
    Land
    Relationships

The great majority however have been fought with religious intentions, not to mention Religious difference historically speaking causes a divide that need not be there seeing as God isn't real. Its like the Gulliver's Travels thing with the eggs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sebastian4jc

the topic is changing so much I'm not sure what's going on any more. why have people stopped posting sandwiches now? this forum doesn't make any sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Many things defy scientific understanding, like hugs,

The origin of hugs can easily be traced to our primate ancestors. All you have to do is think of a group of primates huddling together to keep warm, providing comfort. This in itself is a primitive form of what we call 'hugs'. The hug itself became known as an act of comfort. That's why we hug people who are feeling down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

I am an atheist and genuinely try to spend as little time as possible talking about something i obviously don't believe exists.

The only time I am forced to express my beliefs is when someone uses 'God' as a justification for their argument. Y'see i kinda feel that's cheating so I have to argue why their original argument was invalid, except on a WAAAY more complicated epistemological, not to mention controversial and yet so boring, argument.

I just had a toasted cheese, tomato, red onion, crumbed ham sandwich with just a hint of 'whatever they call that stuff that makes you not want to post boring challenges to people who clearly couldn't care less what you think',(or was it salt?):confused:

OM_ I think i just saw a divine image in my toast, ah well it's gone now, just ate it. sorry that cud've been the proof you were looking for, but y'know i was starving.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Zillah wrote: »
    This is incorrect. Regardless, I'll put it this way: Can you enact a change in the universe through thought alone, or through action that has no scientifically detectable mechanism by which it could effect such change?

We all can.

the topic is changing so much I'm not sure what's going on any more. why have people stopped posting sandwiches now? this forum doesn't make any sense to me.

Perhaps you have bitten off more then you can chew it is clear that the Athiests in here are more knowledgable than you on theological issues and this debate in general.

I forgot to post sandwiches im sorry.

Lemon curd thingy sandwich
    Steak sandwich
    or an old favourite "The Chip Buttie"

do I need to post sandwiches to get it back on topic? is that how it works? can someon please PM me

Because a unicorn if it existed would have been a material living creature that would have left fossil remains of its existence,

Oh but it did ;)

do I need to post sandwiches to get it back on topic? is that how it works? can someon please PM me

About what, sandwiches? How will that help?

• Advertisement

Well his inbox just filled up anyway! silly move Sebastian

I know people who eat sugar sandwiches

Galvasean wrote: »
    About what, sandwiches? How will that help?

I don't know. it seems like you guys are using some kind of code... or something. either that or you can't come up with good answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

No. A place were you can all go and state the obious and think you're clever so this discussion can go on unhindered. So by your reasoning, lack of evidence seems to translate into evidence. *slow claps*

Eh, you started this discussion. If you, as a theist, choose to post on a forum dedicated to religious skeptics asking why they talk religious skepticism, it doesn't take a genius to work out that you aren't going to like the majority of the answers.

Btw, lack of evidence = lack of evidence. *even slower clap* If you can show me your god, I'll believe in your god. If you can't then I have no more reason to suppose your god exists than I do any other god, mystic being or creature for which there exists a truck load of adherents equally convinced and zero actual evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I hate it when atheists say the reason they are so against religion and God is because its the cause of alot of wars and killings throughout the years however this is not God or religions fault its the flaw of being a human being, I mean a gun can't kill a person on its own.

People have fought killed over a lot of different things including religion

How about

Money
    Power
    Sport
    Government
    Land
    Relationships

Damn right. Let's not add another reason to kill each other to the list, shall we?

Also, I listed a whole bunch of social issues which have nothing to do with war that religion tends to make a mess of.
    Because a unicorn if it existed would have been a material living creature that would have left fossil remains of its existence, God on the other hand is immaterial

Ah, yes, whoops. I neglected to mention that unicorns are immaterial.

I don't know. it seems like you guys are using some kind of code... or something. either that or you can't come up with good answers.

We gave you a whole bunch of very good answers and you're either not understanding them or you're ignoring them; in either case we've decided to have some fun with you instead.
    We all can.

Civilisation has really messed up noticing that one! Jeez. Shouldn't we, like, tell science or the President or something?

Maybe they evolved into Narwhals, what else is a mammal with one horn to do when the world floods.

I don't know. it seems like you guys are using some kind of code... or something.

It's getting a bit in-jokey alright, but to be fair you were around when the joke started so you should get it.
    either that or you can't come up with good answers.

Or y'know we get so many of 'your kind' popping in here who think they have us all figured out. They come in with an idea ("This will show those atheists. ibet they've never encounted the likes of me beefore! This'll blow their minds!") that has been shown to us and rebutted many many times.........
    Oh my, I can't even finish what I was saying I'm so bored of explaining stuff like this!

I'm going to bed. If Dades and Robin lock this thread before I come back tomorrow there will be hell to pay!

This is my last post on this thread!

Sebastian just drop it mate you have no point whatsoever and if only you would read the posts here you would of learnt an awful lot about what Atheists believe and why! I take the time to learn about the reasons and arguments for a faith stance if only out of politeness I wish you would do the same.

I apologise for calling you a troll you clearly aren't at least not intentionally you would also of learnt what we meant by calling you one tonight if you had read the link I sent on,

You are a gentleman however you are no scholar if you honestly want to learn about atheism I can recommend some books.

Eh, you started this discussion. If you, as a theist, choose to post on a forum dedicated to religious skeptics asking why they talk religious skepticism, it doesn't take a genius to work out that you aren't going to like the majority of the answers.

Btw, lack of evidence = lack of evidence. *even slower clap* If you can show me your god, I'll believe in your god. If you can't then I have no more reason to suppose your god exists than I do any other god, mystic being or creature for which there exists a truck load of adherents equally convinced and zero actual evidence.

well so far the majority of them seemed to have made fools of themselves. posting sandwiches as answers rather than addressing real issues. lack of evidence = lack of evidence... eh, yeah... that's what I said! you said the opposite. that no loch ness means that we know there is no god. that simply doesn't hold up, I'm sorry. maybe the slow claps was a bit dramatic, but you have to admit it does seem kind of a silly statment to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

I think the unicorn is immaterial and god should have left fossil remains if he existed'
    Of course,the only misbegotted son of Unicorn assumed material form to lead the mermaids over the rainbow and under the waterfall before ascending onto the moon. but thats just one book i've read-thinking of reading another next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Sorry Sebastion, you're new here after all. This is the thing. You started a thread basically asking "why do atheists talk about god/religion?" A lot of people gave you the answer to this question. You wouldn't accept their honest answers. So it is a little unclear to people where exactly the thread can now progress to. You asked, we answered. You can keep asking but the answers will be the same.

Because I'm the helpful sort I'll sumarise. Atheists talk about god/religion because god/religion effects the world around us. Muslims blow themselves and others up to get to heaven. The RCC controls a lot of Irish schools and uses that control to discriminate against non-catholics and shelters paedos. Fundamentalist Christians tell lies to try and turn people off learning about evolution amongst other things. The Jews use a few lines in the bible to justify the ethnic cleansing of Palestine. Jehovas Witnesses allow children to die from easily cured illnesses. It's an important issue with far reaching consequences for individuals, societies and mankind as a whole. This is the answer to your question.

Ham, feta cheese, soy sauce and mixed salad.

It's getting a bit in-jokey alright, but to be fair you were around when the joke started so you should get it.
    WHAT JOKE. Seriously. if there was one I missed it. I've scanned the entire thread 6 times now. I don't see anything to indicate that. there have been plenty of names and silly comments / pictures put my way but I've had the decency not to respond to them directly. it just seems childish. why can't the people doing this participate in the discussion properly?
    Galvasean wrote:
    Or y'know we get so many of 'your kind' popping in here who think they have us all figured out. They come in with an idea ("This will show those atheists. ibet they've never encounted the likes of me beefore! This'll blow their minds!") that has been shown to us and rebutted many many times.........
    what's ridiculous about this particular paragraph is that you yourself take a tone like you have ME all figured out... when I just joined this form recently. don't you think that's a little hyprocritical of you?

So sebastian4jc care to explain what your nick/boards name/handle means?

WHAT JOKE. Seriously. if there was one I missed it.

Do you prefer wholewheat? I think it is both better for you and nicer. When I was in Vancouver the local place had what they called "nine grains and honey". I tell you, it was both soft and crunchy at the same time and went well with everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DeBunny

Seriously though Seb, if you believe in the god of the christian bible then you're obliged to believe in unicorns. Have you actually read the entire bible? Very few theists I know have.

The following is a genuine extract.
    Job 39:9-12 (King James Version)
    9Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
    10Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?
    11Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him?
    12Wilt thou believe him, that he will bring home thy seed, and gather it into thy barn?

And yes, some atheists do enjoy pointing out the obvious. Some atheists enjoy pointing out the fact that the existence of god is unproven and religions are full of ****. Most aren't bothered.

Banana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

So sebastian4jc care to explain what your nick/boards name/handle means?

Sebastian for jam & cheese.

I'm going to bed. If Dades and Robin lock this thread before I come back tomorrow there will be hell to pay! there's pretty much nothing I can do about it!

Fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

well so far the majority of them seemed to have made fools of themselves. posting sandwiches as answers rather than addressing real issues. lack of evidence = lack of evidence... eh, yeah... that's what I said! you said the opposite. that no loch ness means that we know there is no god. that simply doesn't hold up, I'm sorry. maybe the slow claps was a bit dramatic, but you have to admit it does seem kind of a silly statment to make.

That's because there is no issue - there's just somebody who claims to know a god exists complaining about people who don't...on a forum dedicated to the latter.

Nobody but you said that no loch ness monster means we know there is no god...what I was saying was that as you can provide as much evidence for god as the scottish tourist board can for nessie or pastafarians for the spaghetti monster, I have no reason to hold one in higher regard, esteem or think one is believable while finding the others ridiculous figments of the imagination. Until you can provide me with something that thus far the scottish tourist board and the pastafarians have failed to do ie evidence, then you have no point. Until then, the only silly statements consist of moaning about a forum skeptical about something you hold dear and you can't prove exists. Take solace in the fact that fervent nessie believers and alien abductees feel your pain. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Unicorns did and do exist, their bones where invisible though. However, we know that Unicorns currently still exist in large numbers. Unicorns poop Butterflies, and just the other day I seen a whole load of Unicorn shit flying around.

It's at times like that, that I know the great Unicorn herds still roam where ever a rainbow appears or an Erasure song is played. Have faith brother, the Unicorn bowels move in mysterious ways.

Sliced Kobe steak, pickled onions, avocado and heirloom tomato salsa, jalapeno mayo on grilled sourdough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

If you're so convinced that there is no God... why on earth do you spend so much time talking about Him?

You might wish to use the search function as this question has been asked numerous times before and has been answered at length.

However to summarise: Generally the reason there is so much time spent on it is because so much is done in it's name. Nearly every realm of discourse of any importance to us as a society is permeated by discussions on god. People on forums like this therefore wish to resist the use of lies and fantasy in realms of discourse that affect real people in real ways.
    No one is forcing you to talk about God

This for example is 100% false. I am forced to talk about gods every day. I am interested myself in politics, education, morality, sexuality, science, medicine and children. They are the things I want to talk about each day.

Yet each day I try there is always, without fail, someone who brings god into the conversation and starts waving it around as if it exists and the conversation has to be edited to acknowledge that.

I want to stop talking about god. I want to wake up tomorrow and never talk about it again. I am simply... not... let.

Advertisement