Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off-licences in Dublin to be restricted

• 23-11-2010 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Flying off the wall with there regulation for stupid matters. Seriously who gives a rats arse about the amount of off licenses.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1123/dublin.html

'Fianna Fáil Cllr Mary Fitzgerald also said there is an over supply of off-licences and, as things stand, the council has no say in restricting their numbers.'

An over supply for off licenses. I can't wait for these morons to come knocking on the door for a vote of me. They wanna be prepared.

Lets not forget there stupid 10PM closing hours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Feckin' bored housewife trying to scare the old people into voting for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

FG supported it too btw.

Shows that they're all an incompetent shower of ****.

Double post... boards is fecking slow tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

msg11 wrote: »
    Seriously who gives a rats arse about the amount of off licenses in Dublin.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Is there any way we can get that 10pm rule changed to 12am?

• Advertisement

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Probably not since
    Fine Gael Cllr Dr Bill Tormey quoting recent research showing that alcohol is more damaging than illegal drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

If anything, this country has a serious oversupply of incompetent politicians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

So in the middle of a recession they want to limit successful businesses which provide employment and tax returns.....

Geniuses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

'Fianna Fáil Cllr Mary Fitzgerald also said there is an over supply of off-licences

Her own boss isn't shy of having his few aul pints.

Also there is an over supply of vintners connected with Fianna Failure party - who obviously haven't tinkered enough with licensing laws in recent years to save their trade.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Less jobs! Go Team Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Jesus. First they completely fuck the country, and then they want to take away one of the ways we can let off the stress they've caused us. They should just go the whole-hog and introduce prohibition. Dickheads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They want to curb the flow of drink. People get angry when they drink. Move along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

These pay rates, taxes, employ staff and most are Irish owned and profits get reinvested here

And there are to be restricted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Does this rule apply to pubs? One wonders why not if alcoholism is the real problem:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's not really fair having off licenses closing at 10 and letting the pubs have all alcohol sales after that!
    Also the 10pm rule is just stupid. People contemplating boozing will stock up before 10pm and more often than not start drinking, whereas before they might give it a while and start....eh...never mind.

The publican party and their VFI comrades in FG behind this no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Ah, brilliant, one for the road from FF, shut down half our offys! Good job guys!

Unless, they're looking to follow Sweden's example. I was there a few years ago and the government runs the offies as a state monopoly - there was ONE in the entire town I was in (Skovde) and it opened for about three hours in the afternoon. It was like the bread riots of the Soviet Union, people scrambing for overpriced, nasty beer. Desperate stuff altogether, Joe.

Also the 10pm rule is just stupid.

True, and many people in Ireland only finish work after 10pm.
    You are stressed from work (username ;)) but can't bring a bottle of wine home.

No, you can't be trusted with that
    However, strangley you can be trusted to head to a VFI pub and knock back any number of shots

mojesius wrote: »
    Ah, brilliant, one for the road from FF, shut down half our offys! Good job guys!

Unless, they're looking to follow Sweden's example. I was there a few years ago and the government runs the offies as a state monopoly - there was ONE in the entire town I was in (Skovde) and it opened for about three hours in the afternoon. It was like the bread riots of the Soviet Union, people scrambing for overpriced, nasty beer. Desperate stuff altogether, Joe.
    You didn't even RTFA did you? :rolleyes:

Basically all the councillors (from all parties) agreed to this lunacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

But councillors voted in favour of the motion, with Fine Gael Cllr Dr Bill Tormey quoting recent research showing that alcohol is more damaging than illegal drugs

:rolleyes:

I seriously doubt this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

''Fine Gael Cllr Dr Bill Tormey quoting recent research showing that alcohol is more damaging than illegal drugs.''

so make them legal instead of just taking away the last thing that makes this place bearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If there were too many off licenses then there wouldn't be applications for new ones; obviously there is still a gap in the market.

If there was not enough demand for their product, they would go out of business; the fact that more want to open indicates that they believe that there is a lack.

seanbmc wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt this.

I can cite a study if you like. You know, from that 'science' thing.

Retarded decision regardless. Fingal 4 lyfe.

mojesius wrote: »

Proposed by an Independent councillor. Got support from FF and FG
    And Labour dominate the council, by far the biggest party

Here's a handy list
    http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Councillors/Pages/PoliticalParties.aspx

Lets not hang FF alone over this, they all went with it

Here's a handy list
    http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/Councillors/Pages/PoliticalParties.aspx

Feck off with your facts :mad:

THIS..... IS..... AH!

Sorry :o

On with the rant and rage!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

They need to get rid of the 10pm rule, and it's annoying knowing that they won't anytime soon. Nobody wants it. I hate the way they pass stupid laws like this in the country that nobody is calling for just for the sake of passing a law. Also FF have always had stong links to publicans.

Sorry :o

On with the rant and rage!!!!!!!!
    Gad dayum FF.

DEY TUK AR BOOZE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Dublin forum?

• Advertisement

Dublin forum?
    It's a shít thread. It may as well stay here with all the others :P

Leave it here
    As other councils are going to copy it anyway

And when it happens we will all blame the Dubs! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Given the sh!t thats happened in the last 5 days I see this as nothing more than a stupid FF'er dragging up a fairly trivial issue to distract attention from the hames she and her party of slackjawed gombeens are making of this country.

It would make you turn to drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

So seen as they aren't allowing any new off licences unless under exceptional circumstances, if an off license closes down there could be none around for miles?
    Thats total bollox

Given the sh!t thats happened in the last 5 days I see this as nothing more than a stupid FF'er dragging up a fairly trivial issue to distract attention from the hames she and her party of slackjawed gombeens are making of this country.

It would make you turn to drink.
    Another person that didn't read the article.

No wonder the country is in the shít. :o

Leave it here
    As other councils are going to copy it anyway

And when it happens we will all blame the Dubs! :mad:

The Dubs also have themselves to blame for this.. and not just the councillors.

How many people that are complaining about this actually made a submission or observation on the draft development plan when it was being drafted?

None, I would imagine.

You see - if you don't get involved in politics, even at a local level - you are leaving it in the hands of the politicians & giving up your right to express your opinion.

There's no point in complaining about it after the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I can cite a study if you like. You know, from that 'science' thing.

Retarded decision regardless. Fingal 4 lyfe.

I can cite studies on loads of things, doesn't mean they're true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

You didn't even RTFA did you? :rolleyes:

Basically all the councillors (from all parties) agreed to this lunacy.

Here's a handy list
    http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil...alParties.aspx

Oops, went with the trusty OP's summary. Sorry about that guys :o

I just get irrational when I think my booze access may be affected. That trip to Sweden was traumatic. Then again I'm a Fingalian now, where we have our own council overlords!

alwaysadub wrote: »
    So seen as they aren't allowing any new off licences unless under exceptional circumstances, if an off license closes down there could be none around for miles?
    Thats total bollox

That's not true. A development plan indicates the zoning for different areas & indicates that developments of the appropriate type may get planning permission.

Therefor, if a retail shop - or in this case, an off licence closes - there is nothing to say that one cannot re-open in it's place.

What the plan is doing is restricting the number of new off-licences under the scope of the development plan area, which is not the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

OisinT wrote: »
    Another person that didn't read the article.

No wonder the country is in the shít. :o

Anything that disrupts my supply makes me ratty!
    Besides I'll never pass up the chance to boot FF in the ribs, even if other cllrs agreed to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    Vote for me (if you're in North Kildare)

Vote for me (if you're in North Kildare)

Overheal wrote: »
    They want to curb the flow of drink. People get angry when they drink. Move along
    Feck off, Yank and your prohibition.
    This is Ireland.

Dublin forum?

No. Were this to go through, it would set a prescedent around the country.
    The last thing we need here is the American style of hysterical politics and scare tactics.
    It's bad enough that Eamon O'Cuiv asked up to pray our way out of the recession. If that sort of crap becomes normal here, then we really and truly are boned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

That's not true. A development plan indicates the zoning for different areas & indicates that developments of the appropriate type may get planning permission.

Therefor, if a retail shop - or in this case, an off licence closes - there is nothing to say that one cannot re-open in it's place.

What the plan is doing is restricting the number of new off-licences under the scope of the development plan area, which is not the same thing.

Ah ok-couldn't see the link on the mobile but had read it on RTE aertal-which is crap at the best of times!

That's it. I'm running for election in Dublin Central. Who wants to vote for me and work on my grassroots campaign? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I think the supermarkets(if you're near one) are too powerful in order for officialdom to restrict new outlets as cheaper booze is a part of the reason they use to entice customers in the stores. After all the council has to think of revenue from rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Flying off the wall with there regulation for stupid matters. Seriously who gives a rats arse about the amount of off licenses.

Publicans care, sure aren't the poor divils near broke from lots of people finally copping on that they don't need to pay stupid cash for a drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Outstanding comment, well done sir

*thumbs up*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

I prefer the system in Denmark - no restrictions. Wanna buy a bottle of vodka, a sixpack of beer and a pack of cigarettes of Christmas eve at 2am? No problem, just head to the gas station or 7/11. Age limit on this is 16.

Yet people are not drinking themselves to death left and right. I like to think that most people are able to control their alcohol consumption and that a big nanny state shouldnt fecking try to tell its people how, why, when and how much.

Shutting down offlicenses makes no sense, it would just double the business of the ones not shut down. It would do nothing to demand. Look at Sweden, Norway and Finland with state owned alcohol monopolies, people drink just as much as uk/ie/dk/fr except its more inconvenient. Thats all.

Ohh.. Fianna failsuggested this? What a surprise.

noxqs wrote: »

You can blame every party and Independent over this one.
    Like most councils in Ireland, FG & Labour dominate. Even DCC.

Labour have more seats then FG and FF put together! Nothing passes without them
    The motion to prohibit further expansion of alcohol outlets was proposed by Independent Cllr Cieran Perry.

noxqs wrote: »
    I prefer the system in Denmark - no restrictions. Wanna buy a bottle of vodka, a sixpack of beer and a pack of cigarettes of Christmas eve at 2am? No problem, just head to the gas station or 7/11. Age limit on this is 16.

Yet people are not drinking themselves to death left and right. I like to think that most people are able to control their alcohol consumption and that a big nanny state shouldnt fecking try to tell its people how, why, when and how much.

Shutting down offlicenses makes no sense, it would just double the business of the ones not shut down. It would do nothing to demand. Look at Sweden, Norway and Finland with state owned alcohol monopolies, people drink just as much as uk/ie/dk/fr except its more inconvenient. Thats all.

Actually it was multi-party. Good job reading the article.

:D

You can blame every party and Independent over this one.
    Like most councils in Ireland, FG & Labour dominate. Even DCC.
    Seriously, all these people with opinions and "damn you FF!" posts are hilarious.

These are all the same people people that have so many great opinions and are so well researched on everything but can't read a 4 paragraph article. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Why not close all pubs and ration alcohol to 7 drinks per week, tied to a national identity card. This way, they can make sure no one drinks too much.

Its what they really want anyways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement