Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter warmer!

• 23-11-2010 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭

At last I got a call today to say my cycle to work scheme payment had cleared and my 2011 Giant Dash was ready to collect! Gona pick it up next Thursday! Question; I only ever cycled a very heavy mountain bike and pushing it would work up a sweat in itself!! So obviously il be looking to wrap up warm and stay safe as it's winter, have my lights and visibility sorted but can anybody recommend a warm jacket that won't have me roasting and comfortable pants?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Not really. What's intended use and budget. When thinking bike clothes, think layers. Base, insulation and outer shell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

I have a Gore-Tex Timberland Jacket, it has a hood that can fit over my helmet, I genuinely have yet to see a cycling jacket with a hood, I'm sure many will explain why here, but logic tells me its so you can hear traffic, but that's not much use if you listen to an ipod!

So Gore-Tex is waterproof, and if you break out in a sweat it will breath and keep things under control, its also warm. My jacket cost about €175 but its on me 3 years, and you can wear it without using the bike too.

I wear regular trousers and on wet days put a pair of €30 waterproof over pants on. Yeah I slide on the saddle and sound like a plastic bag when I walk!

So I will listen up for better advice on pants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

denisor wrote: »
    I'm sure many will explain why here

Wouldn't be boards otherwise:rolleyes:
    I genuinely have yet to see a cycling jacket with a hood,

It's not needed, you get too hot and unless its so tight it hurts your face it would only cause drag like a sail. If you need head gear, a cap or balaclava are the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Hoods can block your peripheral vision, so aren't always a great idea, having said that there are a few out there, not least this one from Swrve -I have one of their older models, and it's the best jacket I've owned for commuting, or just wearing around town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Get a skull cap or something that can be worn under your helmet. Wearing a jacket with a hood over your helmet is an idea that boggles the mind, surely it restricts your ability to look over your shoulder?

I think Single Malt got it right, you need to be layering. It means your cycling wardrobe is more flexible and able to adapt to the changing weather. You don't need dedicated clothing, just wear more or fewer layers.

Having said that, a good pair of tights is really essential for winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a Gore-Tex Timberland Jacket, it has a hood that can fit over my helmet, I genuinely have yet to see a cycling jacket with a hood, I'm sure many will explain why here, but logic tells me its so you can hear traffic, but that's not much use if you listen to an ipod!

There's some kind of deep truth in there, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Please tell me this jacket is not Black?.. I have this horrible picture of you cycling along on a cold, dark winters day, with your hood up while listening to an ipod...Scary picture! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    ...... It means your cycling wardrobe is more flexible and able to adapt to the changing weather. You don't need dedicated clothing, just wear more or fewer layers.

It also means there are so many "essential" things that you can spend you money (see the "Should left me credit card at home" thread). You can never have too many layers in your wardrobe :D

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Please tell me this jacket is not Black?.. I have this horrible picture of you cycling along on a cold, dark winters day, with your hood up while listening to an ipod...Scary picture! :eek:

Sorry to tell you this, but it is black, wait it gets worse, so are my outer pants. :confused:

Point is well made and taken... I'll try to introduce some autumn colours. :)

Sorry to tell you this, but it is black, wait it gets worse, so are my outer pants. :confused:

Point is well made and taken... I'll try to introduce some autumn colours. :)

Well black is ok as long as you have lights ( You do have lights right? )

• Advertisement

Mum is that you?

Only kidding I have a super duper big cat eye up front and at back. Great lights, I also have an Abus helmet with a red light on the back. And some reflective trouser clips.

All good point sir! I agree completely that a hig vis coloured jacket makes the best sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The reflective trouser clips are probably worth as much, or more, (at night) as a high vis jacket when you're bent over the handlebars...

Mum is that you?

Ha! I do sound like me Ma alright? :D Now as for wearing an iPod while cycling (lets agree not to go there..)

cdaly_ wrote: »
    The reflective trouser clips are probably worth as much, or more, (at night) as a high vis jacket when you're bent over the handlebars...

I say old chap!

Advertisement