Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

factories, warehouses interior-photograph opportunity?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a thread in the photo forum (see below) but am asking here for any suggestions of factories, warehouses etc that might leave me/a group in (or bring us on a tour) to take photos. For amateur purposes only.
    I'm going to try Galway Crystal (they do tours, don't know if stuff is made in-house)

I was watching a documentary on tv and it showed the inside of a bottled water factory. Looks like you'd get a lot of great photos (production line, patterns, abstracts etc) and different than your standard shots- about town etc.
    Does anyone know if factories etc would be open to leaving an ameteur (or a group) in to take photos? Has anyone ever done this, if so how did you go about it etc.?
    It'd be a great 'photowalk', interesting and could be good publicity for the company as well. (I'm in Galway)
    Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hate to say it, but probably 'not a hope in hell' - liability, liability, liability!

You have to think of it from a business aspect... why would they let you? What have they to gain from it? (Nothing). I know you might think "Well maybe they just want to be sound" - but remember you're talking about a business/company here, not a charity.

I know if I owned a factory I would definitely not be letting strangers just walk around it, the liability factor is just screaming here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Unless you try to sell it as doing them up a photo tour of their company to go on the website. Companies give guided tours regularly (as in, ad hoc ones, not scheduled ones to the public), I've gone around bottled water plants just because I said I was curious, but had a bit of an in, family wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I would say no as I've worked in factories here and I'm pretty sure cameras are actually not allowed for employees due to confidentiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

wet-paint wrote: »
    Unless you try to sell it as doing them up a photo tour of their company to go on the website.

Even so, they would want to own the copyright of any photos you took, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowing you to use 'em the way you'd like to.

If I was the factory owner, I'd be concerned about the possibilities of giving competitors information about how I work.

Advertisement