Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what party would be in our sport best interest

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, speaking for myself, I'd vote Labour. I don't necessarily agree with everything they do, but the choice is FG or Labour. And while FG said they were pro-shooting, and were polite to our reps when they went to talk to them, they didn't reign in Olivia Mitchell or John Deasy when they went off on shooters despite Enda telling us that they were going against FG policy.

Contrasting that with Labour, where the last time legislation was going through the Dail, Howlin was quite happy to stand up and argue our points and did so as effectively as was possible at the time.

Mind you, I'm pretty sure that other folk will be thinking of things other than shooting when deciding how they'll vote - things like the job they've lost, the house they're about to lose because they can't afford the mortgage repayments anymore, the tens of thousands they'll own in negative equity when they lose the house, the emigration their kids are looking at or already taking up...

This election's going to be fought on economic policies more than any other point I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

haven't heard anything from any party a few PQs in the DAIL alright but no policies regarding our sport.

Sinn Fein called to my house couple of weeks ago canvassing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I agree with Sparks that our issues will not count for much in the election due to the severity of some other problems out there

however, living in an urban centre tends to blinker people a bit and they forget that politics is local - success is national - so in your electoral area where 50 votes might swing it your opinion does count

in another area where there are 10,000 votes in the difference you matter not a whit

regardless - whoever gets elected, regardless of party, side of the dail, portfolio, etc. It will be of benefit to us all that they have heard of our problems on the hustings - one day when a matter gets raised in the Justice committee or over a few pints in the dail bar and all or many of those present have heard the same thing in different constituencies while out canvassing, they may decide it is politically expedient to have a proper look at it - on such sands have cities been built

FF may be pariahs but they will be in opposition, they will be on the justice committee and they will vote on matters before the dail so keep that in mind

Personally I dunno who I'll vote for yet but I'm gonna keep em all talking if they want it - no trick or treat here (",)

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Sparks wrote: »
    This election's going to be fought on economic policies more than any other point I suspect.

On this point I disagree with Sparks (though I agree with his other points). The Dail has no control over monetary policy and only limited control of fiscal policy, to a large extent they will have to do what our creditors (IMF, EU etc) tell them. In my opinion this is an ideal time to press social issues on the candidates, and I mean now not on the doorstep. Print off copies of Dail speeches from the various party spokesmen and write to your candidates. Both FG and Labour voted against the FF/Green bill so let them know you expect them to review the workings of the firearms laws. The legislation as it stands is a nonsence, it puts unnecessary work on the Guards, restricts commerce and alienates a proven law abiding sector of the voting public while doing nothing to reduce crime. Now may just be the best time to push our point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein called to my house couple of weeks ago canvassing

sinn fein have been very anti-gun and anti-shooting sports in the north , ironically :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Oh ! what a nice late birthday present for me ! A general election!!:D
    One lot I am well disappointed in is on our side is R.I.S.E.

If they had played that right ,they could have been somthing akin to the UK Countryside Alliance,got just about everyone in the country that was affected by the depouplation of rural Ireland,closed post offices,garda stations,axed train and bus routes,etc,etc
    Seems it was just a dual issue affair,stag hunting and dog breeding.:(
    I'd like to be proven wrong on this one.But they have gone too quiet in the last 10 months.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I already know which party I'll be voting for, just need to select candidates for preferences. Must email them on a few points tomorrow. For reasons beyond shooting I won't be voting, FF, Labour, SF, Green, or Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

N.O.T.A.:mad:

Advertisement