Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White powdery stuff on ceiling rafters

• 23-11-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there,

I live in a pretty old house, about 70 years old. I was up in the attic yesterday and I noticed a white powdery substance on some of the rafters. The wood itself feels solid and doesn't feel soft or rotten in anyway. Being an old roof there is no felt, just the rafters and the slates. There is condensation now and again on the slates. I am really strapped for cash at the minute (like the rest of the country) so a major overhaul is out of the question. Could I just clean it off. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

There's too little info to go on, but the white substance it could be something like a mould or fungus, or it could be the sign of a wood boring beetle infestation (the powder being sawdust expelled by larvae as they leave the wood)
    pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7 larrycat

Hi Slimjimmc,

Thanks for you advice. I can't seem to remember seeing any bore holes. I might take a few photos and see what you think. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Advertisement