Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why not the Cowon X7? (Why so cheap?)

• 23-11-2010 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new MP3 player and have trawled through the amp3 website and found the Cowon X7. It's 10 pound dearer than the J3, but has MILES more storage space and capacity. The reviews suggest the sound quality is amazing.

So why is it not selling as well as the J3?! Am I missing something? I don't want to jump in and find out it's a bit toss. Can anyone tell me why it's so cheap by comparison???

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Looks good and I can only imagine top quality sound from Cowon as always.

Its cheaper as it hard drive memory - the J3 is flash memory so would be a lot smaller, slimmer and lighter - also less likely to go faulty in terms of no moving parts with flash memory. If you want a larger screen and lots of memory, the X7 looks the answer - it will be heavier/less portable though.

My money would go on the J3 in terms of portability etc and also more inclined to listen to music then watch movies etc. I have the S9 and love it but that J3 is incredibly tempting, micro SD slot too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Looks good and I can only imagine top quality sound from Cowon as always.

Its cheaper as it hard drive memory - the J3 is flash memory so would be a lot smaller, slimmer and lighter - also less likely to go faulty in terms of no moving parts with flash memory. If you want a larger screen and lots of memory, the X7 looks the answer - it will be heavier/less portable though.

My money would go on the J3 in terms of portability etc and also more inclined to listen to music then watch movies etc. I have the S9 and love it but that J3 is incredibly tempting, micro SD slot too!

Ah, I see.

I think you've sold the J3 to me so. I don't need that memory really and I am just looking for a quality mp3 player with a built in recorder! Portability-wise is an issue too. Don't wanna be constantly aware of it.
    Get free headphones with that one too! Now where's me card...

mehfesto wrote: »
    Ah, I see.

I think you've sold the J3 to me so. I don't need that memory really and I am just looking for a quality mp3 player with a built in recorder! Portability-wise is an issue too. Don't wanna be constantly aware of it.
    Get free headphones with that one too! Now where's me card...

Go for it - I love the S9 and reading the reviews on the J3 it must be bloody stunning. Just make sure to do it justice and rip at least 320kbps or better still FLAC!

Enjoy, nothing like waiting on a new toy like this to arrive in the post!

Thanks for your help!
    I'll let you know how I get on!

mehfesto wrote: »
    Thanks for your help!
    I'll let you know how I get on!

Do, I'm keen to hear what its like - might treat myself then next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

My 32gb j3 is due to be delivered today. Will mess around and post tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

thomasj wrote: »
    My 32gb j3 is due to be delivered today. Will mess around and post tonight

Great thomas - I am just about to take the plunge on this puppy myself so will be interested in hearing your views! Did you order from AMP? I can't belive the shipping is an extra £15 :(

Got mine yesterday - its a crimbo present so I havn't been allowed to played with it yet, but delivery was amazingly quick and it was really well packaged. Worth the money imo.

Also got a free pair of Denon headphones worth €50. They're fantastic, great sound and make a nice pair of earmuffs. Not totally noise isolating, but they're pretty tight fitting (but comfortable!) so they're not far off it.

The product itself looks ace. Can't feckin wait now! Organising my music for the last few days to make it easy to drag n' drop! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Cheers mehfesto - I managed to get a price beat offer of it for £209.99 + postage so will probably go for it as all the feedback sounds great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yep I have been using it for the last couple of days, all my music has been transferred over, brilliant reception different types of background noise styles.

A few things, first thing is you don't get a wall charger. However, you can use the iPhone/iPad /android USB to wall adapters works grand.

Have heard a rumour that it plays iTunes music but haven't tried it yet so give me time on that one!

Radio is great as is the recording from radio, if you want to record radio shows there doesn't seem to be a limit on how long each recording lasts. Bear in mind though you can't save fm/voice/line in recordings to micro sd card has to be done to hard drive.

It's easy enough to navigate, in my opinion, the best way I reckon is by folders that way you can delete music and organise folders

If you want to organise how your home screen looks swipe to the left choosing the third option gives you the widget and shortcut option you can customise by clicking on the icon on the centre bottom of the screen.

Bear in mind you can't use to loudspeaker for radio just music as radio relies on the headphone As the antennae to use loudspeaker on radio just take out earphones when on

Battery seems to be good I have gone a week without charged based on 3-4 hours per day and a bit to go too!

Home some of this helps!

• Advertisement

I got mine - had to return it. It's not Mac compatible at all.
    Ruined the whole thing.

Thankfully, the people at Amp3 were kind enough to grant a full refund. It was a great thing when I played with it before connecting it up - but if you own a mac, forgetabaddit.

Im on the hunt again, now!

Advertisement