Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the new Marks in Douglas like?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

haven't had a chance to get over yet - what's the range like (compared to the one on Pana??) - clothes, esp womenswear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 miss luce

think its opening tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭fataltragedy

heard from someone working in the one in the city that it's supposedly food only with a view to expanding to other products if business is good?

no idea if that's reliable though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Is it opening today? Fancy something tasty for din din's tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

opens tomorrow. thursday. @ 11 am. cafe , food and clothes. no way as big as patricks st obviously enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

Can't wait for the meal offers , its such a pain going to town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Their Rent is free for the first 10yrs in the center to attract footfall. :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Hogzy wrote: »
    Their Rent is free for the first 10yrs in the center to attract footfall. :eek::eek::eek:

you serious? jesus, if that's true it's a good deal for M&S, I wonder how long are they contractually bound to stay there, 500 years:eek:

you serious? jesus, if that's true it's a good deal for M&S, I wonder how long are they contractually bound to stay there, 500 years:eek:

Yup, Im not too sure of the conditions but i would assume where they are located in the center would be one of them. M&S at one end and tesco at the other. People will have to walk between the two therefore passing the other shops therebye creating potential customers.
    Its probably one of the smarter moves Mr. Love has made over the years. I couldnt see the other tenants complaining either as M&S will bring literally thousands of new customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

I am just back from the new M&S it was absolutely mad over there literally grabbed a bite to eat and left, looks nice enough, their fruit and veg looked nicer than tesco's anyways, clothes wise there wasn't alot, the supermarket is bigger than the one in town imo!

96fm and TV3 are over there! :)

I am just back from the new M&S it was absolutely mad over there literally grabbed a bite to eat and left, looks nice enough, their fruit and veg looked nicer than tesco's anyways, clothes wise there wasn't alot, the supermarket is bigger than the one in town imo!

96fm and TV3 are over there! :)

Hope there is some food left for my dinner tonight! Havent been in an M&S in years. Nom Nom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

food section 10/10. no need to go to town for food. cafe looked nice airy with a good selection.
    clothes area very small. just ladies and only a few basics and per una i think. no underwear :eek: . i think it will be just a matter of time before they go upstairs and introduce more clothing and homewares.
    parking was well organised. busy but spaces on the 2 and 3 rd floors. easy to get in and out. i was there about 5 pm.

Wife went in instead of me. Said it was very very busy, it will calm down within a week though. Din Din's was savage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

murphym7 wrote: »
    Wife went in instead of me. Said it was very very busy, it will calm down within a week though. Din Din's was savage!

nah i'd say it will be busy until after Christmas, between there and mahon point there is almost no need to go in to town any more! :D

the massive footfall in what was almost a deserted center was amazing to see!

i also noted there were alot of mini-stalls/events on today, obviously planned to coincide with the launch!

it was nice to see it so busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

i also noted there were alot of mini-stalls/events on today, obviously planned to coincide with the launch!

Ya, not only was M&S busy, the whole place was mental. My first time up on the second level of the car park. The other shops/cafes must have been delighted with the extra business.
    There was loads of people handing out flyers all the way down from Tesco, for all sorts of things. Good planning by them alright.

The supermarket is great. I'm sure they even had a couple of things that I didn't see in town. It's grand having that now & Tesco in the same building.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

nah i'd say it will be busy until after Christmas, between there and mahon point there is almost no need to go in to town any more! :D

it was nice to see it so busy!

Yes, no recession in Douglas !!!!

Oleander wrote: »
    Yes, no recession in Douglas !!!!
    I cannot stand that bloody saying
    You will find alot of things cheaper in M&S than you would in Dunnes and Tesco. You might also see people buying food from M&S instead of going to a restaurant. So yeah there is still a recession in Douglas and the rest of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Doge

You will find alot of things cheaper in M&S than you would in Dunnes and Tesco. You might also see people buying food from M&S instead of going to a restaurant. So yeah there is still a recession in Douglas and the rest of Ireland.

Like what exactly?

I have never found this myself.

Unless it was during a sale, and dunnes/tesco did not have a sale during the same period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

the 12 euro meal deal thing i guess.

They have fantastic lunch time specials aswell. M&S do alot of their own brand stuff so its kind of hard to compare but they do have good deals quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Oh sorry, I was just joking - should have put a smiley face thingy after my remark!!! :)

I think it is fab that there is a M&S in Douglas and that it's bringing business to all the other shops. Maybe Tesco will take their prices down a bit more to compete with M&S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hopefully it will finally attract other businesses into the empty units in there. And double hopefully if will not be the carbon copies of Blackpool, Mahon, Ballincollig centres too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

The interior is a bit warehous-y. Has three sections - food, clothes & a restaurant.

Food section - nice selection of luxury foods , nice cinnamon-y smell from small instore bakery, very small wine selection, but the wines looked good & were fairly priced, but not cheap.

Clothes - small clothes section, all womens clothes & selection looked limited

Restaurant- 1 capucinno, 1 cup of coffee, and 1 mince pie - eu8.60. Service is mediocre, but to be fair the 6 staff behind the counter looked like they were still coming to grips with the layout of the place. Puccinis is better, and Quigleys is MUCH better - but neither of these have any natural light.

Summary: Nice luxury food section. Clothes section basic. Lovely bright airy restaurant but poor value

Small bit of useless info: Haggis includes pork lung (30%)... I think I can hold off on that one, thanks.

Advertisement