Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Advice on buying campervan for young family

• 23-11-2010 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43

Hi all,
    We are a family of 5 ( 3 children 5, 4 and 2) and want to buy a campervan. Know we want a 6 berth and quite like the idea of having two seating areas ( have seen some with 2 couch and table areas). We would appreciate advice on what to look out for. Is the storage area/ garage worth having? Whats the story with safety belts? We would like to travel together and so safety belts would be definitely needed. Would it be worth while looking for one in the UK? What are the best makes? Any advice would be great. many thanks, K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Personally, the best advice I can offer is to go to a dealer and have a look around at what they have to offer.

If you are anywhere near Tipp, check these guys out http://www.pathoranmotors.com/

If you are further north, then maybe these fellas. http://www.donagheymotorhomes.ie/

Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Ah , safety belts.. it's a strange one. If you have say 6 people travelling in a 6 berth , with only 2 belts in the front , as long as they are being worn , no law is broken . Or in other words, you don't legally need to have all passengers belted , as long as any belts that are fitted are being used .

Seems strange to me , but thats the law , according to some of our customers who work within An Garda Siochana.

I think the double table/lounge would be a good idea for you , or else one with bunks .

I also think that having looked at the prices of campers in Europe and the UK , that they are actuallly often cheaper here . Remember , if you import after January 1 , they'll be 13.5% dearer.....

Roughly speaking , what is your budget?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Go to germany, cheaper, better condition, VRT is only 50e if its over 3 ton which a 6 berth would easily be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I disagree. And the 50 E is only for another month .

We haven't bought a camper from Germany this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Keep an eye on www.gumtree.ie and www.donedeal.ie even it you want to buy from a dealer, at least you see lots of pictures of layouts and what works, get a good feel for prices but watch out for deals that are to good to be true. Always meet a seller at their house and always pay by bank draft never cash. Watch out for UK plated vans for sale here as you’ll have to pay the VRT.

Keep an eye on willson auctions site as they will get campers from time to time, but check their conditions you have to pay some vat I think.

Things to keep in mind, will you be using camp sites or wild camping. Weight of the van, if it’s over 3.5 tonn you need a class c license. Will you and the OH both be driving it…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Weight of the van, if it’s over 3.5 tonn you need a class b license. Will you and the OH both be driving it…
    Over 3.5ton needs a class C licence.

Even if the van is below this watch for the payload. Might not be an immediate issue, given the age of the children, but is something to look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 kat2171

Thanks for all the advice. Our budget would be 25k. Luckily the hubby used to drive a bus so he has all the licences... I'll have to do the test though.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

Hi
    This one would be perfect for you but I suppose I am biased.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/1658056
    Six seat belts
    I believe that if you have a full driving licence since 1990 you are automatically entitled to a class C
    My wife drive our camper and I have cleared this with the insurance.
    Might be woth checking out.
    Connel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

In your case the double seating area would probably be most practical for a couple of reasons. When it's wet outside it allows the kids to scatter their lego all over one table while food/wine is served on the other table. Also, if there's somebody who likes a morning sleep in then they remain undisturbed while breakfast can commence.
    Ours is a six berth and we have 2 kids, we chose the bunk bed option as it saves making up a bed every day, also the storage is quiet generous for travelling when the lower bunk folds up. We had a four berth for a good while which we out grow quiet quickly.
    In ours we have four proper belts and two lap belts facing backwards.
    I imported both our MH's but at this stage I reckon there's value to be had by buying in Ireland.
    Go out and view as many models as possible and find what suits best. Stand the entire family in it and see if it would provide enough space for a two week holiday in an area the size of your bathroom :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Old Timer

Doom wrote: »
    Go to germany, cheaper, better condition, VRT is only 50e if its over 3 ton which a 6 berth would easily be

Have a look at www.mobile.de
    but remember you must have it landed in Ireland by the middle of December with all your correct paperwork.

IT MIGHT BE BETTER TO BUY IN IRELAND AND PERHAPS SAVE A JOB OR SOME PERSONS HOUSE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Gypsyrose

There is plenty of choice out there. We like Hymer but then we are biased too!!

All the best in your search. Just want to say how nice it is that more and more young families are taking to the road these days in motorhomes!! Kids will love it!! Goood luck!!
    ps buying in Ireland sounds good to me too.

Advertisement