Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can ping but not view websites

• 24-11-2010 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hi folks,

I've set up a Huawei b260e wirless gateway router on a pc running windows vista. I can ping wesites but I can't open them in either IE8 or chrome. I'm also not able to connect with my iPhone 4. I'm able to connect on my pc running xp fine. I've searched the net and tried numourous fixs but none work. the provider is 3 mobile. I tried there support but worse than useless.

I have tried microsft fix it. ipconfig/ flushdns ipconfig/renew. also tried removing some updates that where mentioned as causing this issue. now loading latest updates to see if that works.

The pc running vista can connect to my home network with no issues.(provider vodaphone).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's DNS issues

Try using OpenDNS servers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jholland79

When you say you can ping the website, do you ping by name, eg
    ping www.google.ie
    presumably, this resolves to an IP address and then pings the IP address, which should rule out a DNS issue.
    Is DHCP definitely enable on the PC?
    What happens with the iPhone? Can it connect to the WiFi ok?
    Also, is that the right model number. I'm not getting much on google for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scara

jholland79 wrote: »
    When you say you can ping the website, do you ping by name, eg
    ping www.google.ie
    presumably, this resolves to an IP address and then pings the IP address, which should rule out a DNS issue.
    Is DHCP definitely enable on the PC?
    What happens with the iPhone? Can it connect to the WiFi ok?
    Also, is that the right model number. I'm not getting much on google for it.

I ping by name www.google.ie. and it retruns ok. I tried typing in the google ip in IE and it still dosen't work. I reset IE and deleted all the cookies. I updated it to IE 8 and no good.

THe Iphone can't connect to the router at all.
    Sorry I did give the wrong router number it's B260a.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

The symptoms are similar to some virus infections so just to be sure, I'd do a quick check. Have a look at this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scara

I already scanned with Superantispyware but I haven't tried malwarebytes ive used it before and found that superanti does the trick. but worth a try.

Can't understand why it won't work with the iphone either. might try and see if there is new firmware for the router?

• Advertisement
Advertisement