Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 2x09 "Visitation" [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 24-11-2010 3:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭

What did you think of "Visitation"? 47 votes

Great!
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    10% 5 votes
    Meh
    48% 23 votes
    Bad
    34% 16 votes
    Terribad
    6% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

The first episode i've voted "meh" to unfortunately.
    I guess they needed to save money for what's coming in next week's episode :D

The writers figured that they needed the crew to find a new shuttle for some future plot lines so they made one magically appear, what an utter cop-out.

And then they tacked on that stupid story line of the guys on the planet. At least it wrapped up TJ's baby story line (hopefully).

Again too much Chloe, but the way they were talking I hope she won't be around for much longer. Let her go out with a bang in the mid-season finale next week, that'd be good.
    Greer was good as always, I thought for a moment he was holding a gun behind his back when he entered (was an obvious thing, but I guess the writers needed to put a bit of tension into the story).

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dunno about all that. I think somehow the story telling was just a bit bland, yet somehow it did focus around a really interesting idea, a set of ideas really. Steven Spielberg's A.I. sprang to mind briefly. Rush had a good scene and so did Grier.

I don't think getting the new shuttle was such a complete and utter cop-out. Contrived, granted, but the episode raised a lot of questions about this progenitor race.

Looking forward to next week's mid-season finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

Did I miss something or what was the whole purpose of the mysterious aliens transporting them back to Destiny only to have them die painfully all over again?
    It was a pity Val died just as Eli started talking about the obelisk.

Col. Young not being able to be in the same room as them for a long time and alluding to the fact they had no souls because they were reanimated was a bit weird.

Was good to see what happened to them anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

My radio is broken. Cant tune into any frequency. All my stations are empty, nowt to listen to at lunch break :( first time ever. any pm help.

all good, stupid bit of a radio was set to ze instead if ez, cheap bit of torrent radio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

For me that was definately the worst episode of universe to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

I thought it wasn't a bad idea for an episode, though it could really have done without the frequent pointless and distracting Chloe interruptions which interfered with building any kind of atmosphere. I think they could have carried it out better but the idea could have been led to a genuinely chilling episode if they focused more on the psychological side of it with the returned repressing memories of their death and slowly losing their minds while the Destiny crew struggled with their unconscious revulsion at what were effectively the walking dead. They brushed on it in places but they didn't do enough to really build the atmosphere and turn it into a genuinely chilling pseudo psychological horror type episode.

During the hypnotism scene after the first returnee keeled over dead with head trauma I thought it was going to slowly come out that they'd turned on each other and she'd been killed, what with the secret relationships and the argument with Cain we saw on the planet.

I can't say I'm sad to see Cain get his comeuppance :p , he always came across as a seriously creepy character to me, effectively worshipping some new found alien god after a matter of days, and like some kind of cult leader convincing many of the others to follow him to their detriment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

I thought it was a bit slow but I have a feeling the aliens are going to have something to do with destiny's mission. The greer and chloe scene was a good one. The fact that their all dead in the end gave me a real sixth sense vibe.

All in all i thought it was a good enough episode cannot wait for the mid series finalie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

BKtje wrote: »
    For me that was definately the worst episode of universe to date.

I'm Guessing you missed the Cloverdale episode so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I dont think Kane is dead, he didnt appear to die on the planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I dont think Kane is dead, he didnt appear to die on the planet.

oh yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

very good episode, remined me of yet another BSG moment,

chloe wasnt annoying in this episode, she was in just the right amount of time,she has accepted what might happen,

you can kinda tell the more religious people on destiny, most of the scientists had no problems with the returnes,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Very boring episode tonight though I was expecting it based on the synopsis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Contrary to popular opinion i actually enjoyed this episode.

I thought it was past time they diud a bit of charater development and i liked the scene between Chloe and Greer. Also TJ got a good few lines this time and she is usually overlooked.

I'm also fine with it mostly being based on the ship. Ofcourse they will always need to do a couple of lower budget ep's so that the mid seasona and season finale are full of good eye candy.

Got a 4/5 from me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I actually quite enjoyed it too - the premise was interesting and the execution (zing!) was generally good. There was perhaps a bit too much mystery of why any of this needed to happen but it's clearly been left open for a future plot line (I imagine there's some link to the background noise that Rush is investigating).
    I mean if it was just to give them a shuttle, at least they explained it unlike Voyager's magically re-generating shuttle craft...

There were some decent character scenes and TJ got to help wrap up a dangling plot line.

The sub-plot gave Greer a good scene as he apologised for probably having to execute Chloe. Seriously Greer - it's okay. No it really is!

I'm interested to see how much they'll push the spiritual angle. It's open to interpretation for now, and I presume it will continue that way for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I liked this episode, the Chloe and Greer scene was great I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

If this episode was earlier in the season I may have said Good, but at this point it was bad and just not fitting in with the arc really.

I almost feel like I'm watching these episodes out of order :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

seanbmc wrote: »
    OK yes - good point.

But, and this is a big but.... where did that come from? Why are they bff's all of a sudden?
    If this was a show where we see the characters develop with each other then I'd have loved the connection - but it just felt written in for the craic to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

OisinT wrote: »
    OK yes - good point.

But, and this is a big but.... where did that come from? Why are they bff's all of a sudden?
    If this was a show where we see the characters develop with each other then I'd have loved the connection - but it just felt written in for the craic to me.

I see what you're saying yeah, maybe they just want to show Greer's emotional side, it was conveyed well in that scene anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I liked it. Thought it was still working on the season arc I suppose. The Chloe-Greer scene was fantastic I thought. One of the highlights of the season.

...... Tell ya what though: Eli fancying ya is bad for your health!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I thought it was good enough. Nothing special but not exactly bad either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I agree with everyone about the Chloe/Greer scene....well acted by Greer, not Chloe with her vacant/i give in constant look. I do hope all those Chloe scenes were setting up her departure, that's how i read it.....out the airlock with her!!

Next week i'm buying a cake and some sparklers in anticipation of Chloe's exit :-)
    It was a good ep. - reflected in the ratings bump:

Stargate Universe
    - 1.169 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Forgot - nice to see a bit of a relationship developing between Greer and scientist chick. I'm sure they'll come back to this at a later stage and no doubt it will be interesting to see what they do with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ixoy wrote: »
    I actually quite enjoyed it too - the premise was interesting and the execution (zing!) was generally good.
    The sub-plot gave Greer a good scene as he apologised for probably having to execute Chloe. Seriously Greer - it's okay. No it really is!

I'm interested to see how much they'll push the spiritual angle. It's open to interpretation for now, and I presume it will continue that way for the foreseeable future.
    seanbmc wrote: »

Yep thought it was a n interesting story myself, very interested to see what/who the light was behind the shuttle when Kane was the only one alive and would be interested to find their reasons for sending them back to Destiny.
    Also again thought the Greer was really immense in his scene with Chloe and in the scene before that with Scott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Enjoyable ep indeed...

Ahh...good ol'chloe. I thought her best scene was when she was talking into the kino....and suddenly stopped with that 'stare'..I'm sure it took a few takes to get that scene nailed.

Seriously though, as mentioned before the scene between her and greer was good.

I did get a 'wtf' moment when the first one died chatting to eli. Kane and is 'god' talk just out and out annoyed me. Can't stand that crap.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I really enjoyed this.

... but then I do tend to like any of the episodes with lots of characterisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

I liked it, but where did it come from? The entire episode just seemed to appear outta nowhere, didn't seem to follow on from the earlier episodes at all imo. I know some have said Kane didn't die but I hope he did, can't stand all that God works in mysterious ways ****e. I can't see them just killing of Chloe at least not before something interesting happens with her. What's the point spending ages changing her, letting her do 1 or 2 things that the scientists could have done themselves, and then killing her?

I wonder why we never got to see this super race of aliens before? I know about the distance but clearly that wouldn't be too big a problem for them. Would the ascended ancients have been stopping them? Or could they be the Furlings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

I'm Guessing you missed the Cloverdale episode so :P

That was the 2nd worst :p Might rewatch this one and give it another chance before making a final decesion on which is the worst :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Kane is definitely dead, remember he said " I remember dying"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

They'd want to watch the deus ex machina stories. Powerful aliens or not they strained credability with this ep.

After "The Greater Good", which I consider one of the best speculative fiction episodes since Season 1, and a very strong and satisfying follow up in "Malice", they lost it a bit here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

well they obviously are on to something anyway, seeing as the general concesious it leaning to the upper part of the poll instead of the lower half like cloverdale,

people are so strapped into the chloe must die wagon, that even when shes interesting they give out, chloe has become a very big cop out for fanboys, now im not saying shes great, but most comments are about chloe being blown out the airlock, theres a whole other bunch of stories going on also, chloes situation has been downplayed massively this season, and shes barely featured, so i just dont understand how so many people hate an idividual that has had probably featured in 20-30 minutes air time in 9 episodes,

theres to much happening to continuously concentrate in one caracter

Advertisement